PDA

View Full Version : Changing brakes problem

grico42
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
OK here's the deal. My front brakes are toast after waiting for shops to get in brake pads, so i just went to a local shop and picked up some oem ones to hold me over. I got the pads off and went to depress the pistons i got 3 to depress and 1 wont budge. Has anyone else had this problem? How do i get it to depress?

Thanks in advance

alex_alex
03-29-2005, 08:26 PM
how are you trying to depress them?

what i find to work very well is to turn use yours hands to pry it out a tiny bit, then turn one of the pads 90 degrees (so it's perpendicular to the way it normally is) and use the pad as leverage.

grico42
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
ive tried using my hand but they wont budge. My nifty splitter tool wont work either, since our calipers are a bit bigger than my old S-10.

grico42
03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
hehe maybe i should look for tools a bit harder before i post next time. I found another splitter and was spread from the middle instead of the side, and i got it to depress after a tug of war with the other side i got all 4 depressed. The only problem now is that the brake pads are for a regular lancer. DOH!!!!

So now i just need pads.

alex_alex
03-29-2005, 08:49 PM
hehe maybe i should look for tools a bit harder before i post next time. I found another splitter and was spread from the middle instead of the side, and i got it to depress after a tug of war with the other side i got all 4 depressed. The only problem now is that the brake pads are for a regular lancer. DOH!!!!

So now i just need pads.

dont forget to fire up the car and stomp on the brake pedal several times before actually driving the car again

grico42
03-29-2005, 09:00 PM
But of course my friend. Like i said though i can drive anywhere till i get pads.

500whp
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
if you dont have the brake caliper depresser thing, you can use 2 C-Clamps! one on each side!

Timujin
03-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Take the cap off of the fluid res. Put some towels down to keep area dry.

WavMixer
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Take the cap off of the fluid res. Put some towels down to keep area dry.Actually instead of letting the brake fluid back feed through the master cylender, you need to open the bleeder valves and let the fluid exit through them. Make sure to bleed brakes after and of course you'll want to top off the fluid when done. ;)