PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber hoods

evo_chip
04-07-2005, 04:03 AM
Im in contact with a manufacturer of carbon fiber hoods here ins So Cal, and I asked him to make me a hood with no opening in the middle(so I wont worry about my turbo /manifold getting wet when it rains) but instead make 8" wide 24" long breathers on the sides, what do you guys think of this idea, or do you have any other suggestions? If everyones likes this design, I was told hed mass produce it, im open to any suggestions, thanks

grico42
04-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe that the reverse cowl is in on that part of the hood, because it is a low pressure area. By removing the cowl from where it is the air pressure would be screwed up and you would probably keep a hot spot of turbulent air at you manifold.

Correct me if i am wrong though. Think about though the air had a clean low to lhigh pressure exchange right above the mainfold. Taking that away and putting slits on the side would still move air, but you would create more pressure in the engine bay and the air would spin right above the mainfold for a while until the pressure cahnge was enough to make it go to either side.

Blaze
04-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Im in contact with a manufacturer of carbon fiber hoods here ins So Cal, and I asked him to make me a hood with no opening in the middle(so I wont worry about my turbo /manifold getting wet when it rains) but instead make 8" wide 24" long breathers on the sides, what do you guys think of this idea, or do you have any other suggestions? If everyones likes this design, I was told hed mass produce it, im open to any suggestions, thanks

My suggestion is: I suggest you rethink that idea. :wink:

The heat from the turbo REALLY needs to get out asap. If you fab a new hood w/o a center vent, you'll likely get distortion/discoloration on the area over the hood in a short period of time.

Blaze

PS. Rigging a Nitrous sprayer to your exhaust manifold to keep temps down may sound like a good idea, but that also is bad.

Blaze
04-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe that the reverse cowl is in on that part of the hood, because it is a low pressure area. By removing the cowl from where it is the air pressure would be screwed up and you would probably keep a hot spot of turbulent air at you manifold.

Correct me if i am wrong though. Think about though the air had a clean high to low pressure exchange right above the mainfold. Taking that away and putting slits on the side would still move air, but you would create more pressure in the engine bay and the air would spin right above the mainfold for a while until the pressure cahnge was enough to make it go to either side.

Damn Rico...how about a diagram for that?!?!

http://media.nasaexplores.com/lessons/02-025/images/plane_wind_flow_sm.jpghttp://calspace.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/images/AtmosphericCirculation.jpg
http://www.iitap.iastate.edu/gcp/atmos/images/image15.gif

grico42
04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
hehehe, sorry

Thanx for the backup blaze :-)

Blaze
04-07-2005, 10:12 AM
hehehe, sorry

Thanx for the backup blaze :-)

lol, it looks like at least ONE person on the board passed H.S. Physics. :wink:

Good write up, bro! See you tonight.

Blaze

CT9A RS
04-09-2005, 04:15 AM
yeah the position of the vent serves a purpose.

rammsteinmatt
04-09-2005, 11:59 AM
blaze, im not suer it will work like those pics suggest, im more inclined to think that the low pressure created by the side vents would "suck" air in throught the wheel wells and out the hood = basically no cooling (well maybe the battery).

and hoping that the tumbling hot air surrounding the manifold will disperse, is wishful, but where will that hot air go? around the engine hopefilly, cause there isnt a lot of room on top of it. but if we look at the evo engine bay we notice a curious placement of the air cleaner - on the right side of the engine. when the hot air hopefully exits it will flow towards the vents in the hood, or right past your air cleaner. now hot air flow will affect cone/mushroom filters more than the stock box, but there is a thing called heat transfer, meaning that after some time the heat will basically "soak in" to the plastic creating a mini convection oven effect in the air box :(

just let water fall into the engine bay, in the rare occurance the manifold cracks, you can replace it and the turbo system for more power

Boosted
04-09-2005, 01:47 PM

wouldnt that completely kill any open element air filter

CT9A RS
04-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Hot air into the intake filter i really dont think does much. Because the turbo is hot as shiet and when the intake charge get sucked through it heats up. So whether it goes in cold or not doesnt make much of a difference. Now if you were blocking intercooler different story. But removing the vent on the hood could be bad for another reason. Big open airdam infront of the bumper. Air goes through the intercooler through the radiator over the manifold and out the hood vent taking with it some hot air from the engine bay.this could also cause drag. and useless drag also. With Canards and a big wing they cause drag but also downforce. If theres no escape in the engine bay but down that could cause lift which could be very bad. Although on the street regular driving to small of an amount to notice.