PDA

View Full Version : tapping noise ?

Gear Grinder
04-08-2005, 09:03 PM
I keep hearing a slight tapping noise, It's hard to pin point exactly where it's coming from, but it seems like it's coming from the valve cover. There is no loss in performance, and I'm not showing any cells. Any ideas?

Also, does any one's idle change when they shut their hood? Mine drops, and then rises about 100 to 200 rpms. why?

ultraflip
04-08-2005, 09:05 PM
infamous mitsu valve tick? // injectors doing their job? // has this been an on going noise since you got the car? or has it been getting louder and louder? :?:

Gear Grinder
04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
infamous mitsu valve tick? // injectors doing their job? // has this been an on going noise since you got the car? or has it been getting louder and louder? :?:
I just noticed it, but it might have always been there. I don't know.

rino
04-08-2005, 09:13 PM
i think it's always been there

if you think it's n ot normal, i'll see you at hb mitsu tomorrow morning

Gear Grinder
04-08-2005, 09:16 PM
i think it's always been there

if you think it's n ot normal, i'll see you at hb mitsu tomorrow morning If I didn't have to work I would be there getting this checked out.

ultraflip
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
relating to a prior experience at the track... (when my car was still new)... i noticed an obnoxious ticking noise emitting from the same area... had several people take a look at it... mark (gt40), with a quick inspection stated that it was just the injectors doing their thing.. he also informed me that our cars are relatively noisy to begin with... hearing the valve tick as well as the injectors click is a pretty common thing... in my scenerio.. it was just me noticing the noises that the car makes on a regular basis...

unless the noises are becoming excessivly loud... i wouldn't be too worried about it... as i know how you are... you retain tons of knowledge on the car... so you know if something's going bad or what not... since nothing's really getting hurt... no harm no foul right?

Gear Grinder
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
The tap is slightly louder than the tic.

Gear Grinder
04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
relating to a prior experience at the track... (when my car was still new)... i noticed an obnoxious ticking noise emitting from the same area... had several people take a look at it... mark (gt40), with a quick inspection stated that it was just the injectors doing their thing.. he also informed me that our cars are relatively noisy to begin with... hearing the valve tick as well as the injectors click is a pretty common thing... in my scenerio.. it was just me noticing the noises that the car makes on a regular basis...

unless the noises are becoming excessivly loud... i wouldn't be too worried about it... as i know how you are... you retain tons of knowledge on the car... so you know if something's going bad or what not... since nothing's really getting hurt... no harm no foul right? ok, I'll chill.

ultraflip
04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
oil level is also another thing to consider... our cars burn up an average of about .5 quarts of oil every 3k miles (i think)... have you checked your oil level?

Evo8you
04-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah don't worry, 4g63's are known to do that.

rammsteinmatt
04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
its probably the person in the trunk tapping morse code to try and get out :D

Gear Grinder
04-09-2005, 07:25 AM
oil level is also another thing to consider... our cars burn up an average of about .5 quarts of oil every 3k miles (i think)... have you checked your oil level?Just got it changed yesterday, didn't notice the sound untill afterward. I'll check the level just to be sure.

maybe, but how could I hear them through the valve cover?

rammsteinmatt
04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
maybe, but how could I hear them through the valve cover?

valve cover?

dlieu959
04-10-2005, 04:48 AM
"rpm drop when you close your hood or even sitting at a light next to a lumpy v8 muscle car is due to the sensitive maf."

i could be wrong.... :?

gevo
04-10-2005, 08:46 AM
My 780 injectors are loud as hell.

Gear Grinder
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
"rpm drop when you close your hood or even sitting at a light next to a lumpy v8 muscle car is due to the sensitive maf."

i could be wrong.... :?
That makes sense. Does this happen to any one else?

Also, as per the tapping noise. I turned up the volume on my Serius radio, and all the anoying little sounds went away.

Thanks evey one.

Eckolaker
04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Stopped and at Idle, when the the fan kicks on does the noise get louder?

I was told this is normal. I had Fullerton Mitsu argue with me for 10 minutes over this one. They proved me wrong on this one, however I can never get them to reproduce my shifting crunch, yet the will admit to having a service bulletin on it.

chuckm1020
04-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I have a question about injectors too. I just reached 1000 miles and had an oil change done, so i wanted to boost it a little more, and not worry about babying it as much. When accelerating maybe like 25% throttle u can hear like a gargling or a marble noise come from somewhere in the engine bay. it gets louder with with more throttle, and u can start hearing it at about 3500 rpms, but if your WOT u usually cant hear it becuase all u hear is the turbo. first i thought it was something to do with valvetrain. i popped my hood, and reved it up to about 4000 in neutral, didnt hear a thing, all sounded normal. then i figured it out it has to be under a load, so im pretty sure its not the valvetrain. then i thought maybe the injectors. are they supposed to get noisier when u give it more gas and raise the rpm's? u have to hear it with the windows up and the radio off. its not extremely loud, but seems louder than it should be. any ideas? thanxs

C-Spec
04-16-2006, 11:53 AM
yes, it's normal when the idleling drop when hood close. it's normal. my evo shut off once a freaking 1967 camaro drove down in my apartment garage. we have a very sensitive MAF.

Gear Grinder
04-16-2006, 09:04 PM
yes, it's normal when the idleling drop when hood close. it's normal. my evo shut off once a freaking 1967 camaro drove down in my apartment garage. we have a very sensitive MAF.
Thats so funny you dug up this thread, because yesterday my head finally gave up. ha ha ha. I guess I've been having problems for a while.
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=21260.0