PDA

View Full Version : 19x9 too big for evo???

indianevodriver
04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey all i'm new to the evo community and just got a couple questions on something. Well let me start off by saying i have been looking through threads on socalevo for a long time but never have posted. i think its great that you guys are so helpful. I purchased my evo back in june of 04 and i just finally started modding it now. I was debating between 2 sets of wheels for my car either the racing hart J8s or C4s. both of them are great wheels and multi piece. i finally decided on the 19x8.5 J8 in graphite because they were cheaper and better looking imo. I ordered them back in feb. from Darkside motoring in chatsworth and i still havent gotten them. I have had a few issues with the rims so far such as when they sent them from japan the first time they were the wrong color and now they didnt have enough time to make the caste in order to finish the wheel. The people at Darkside are very helpful and i have no problem with them but it seems RH in japan just cant get the rims right. Well they have offered me the C4 rims in 19x9 for the same price and they are available now. I am not 100% sure that those rims will fit without any problems. Are there any evos out there running that size without any issues? Please let me know. any comment/suggestion will help. Thanks

here is a link to the racing hart J8 http://www.dazzmotorsports.com/wheels_rhe.asp

gevo
04-08-2005, 10:26 PM
them are big pretty big wheels.

rammsteinmatt
04-08-2005, 10:49 PM
we need to distinguish between them physically fitting on the car and visually fitting on the car.

my .02

j_nizzle
04-08-2005, 11:10 PM
personally, i believe running a 19" wheel on an evo is kind of stupid. no doubt it would look good and get a lot of looks, however it takes away the effect of driving the car hard and lowering the car also. even running 30 thickness tires with some springs would risk rubbing. imo, one should stick with an 18" wheel for the evo as a maximum unless you dont drive it hard and/or it will be a show-type car. there are a few guys here who may run 19" wheels on their cars and i dont mean to bash them but i seriously think you're making a mistake by running 19" on an evo.

MrBubbler
04-09-2005, 12:16 AM
i ran 19x8.5 for a year or so and had no issues with rubbing at all. i think with 9 width you might have to roll the fenders though = / just my .02 ~bubbs

Tarmac02
04-09-2005, 08:41 AM
At the AWJ meet the other day there was an grape purple Evo on 19s that ran a 7.8 at the Q last week. Driven by this crazy Italian dude that has a shop in North County.

gevo
04-09-2005, 09:23 AM
At the AWJ meet the other day there was an grape purple Evo on 19s that ran a 7.8 at the Q last week. Driven by this crazy Italian dude that has a shop in North County.

He is the "Spicy meatball guy!" His name is Paolo. He's got the go to back-up the show.

Tarmac02
04-09-2005, 12:51 PM
I got ticket 104 and a Spicy Meat-a-ball

ScoobySteve
04-09-2005, 03:20 PM
with 9 wide, i'm almost positive you will have to roll the fenders even more so if your car is lowered. Getting 19's sort of goes beyond the scope of efficiency when it comes to traction. In my honest opinion I will tell you, if you are looking for wide tarmac based grip, 8-9 wide is good enough to fit 235's-255's. but going to 19inch radius makes your wheels heavier and requires more torque to turn with the increased circumference, (although not very noticable) its still a fact. You should be more than well off with 17.8.5 or 18x9's

indianevodriver
04-10-2005, 03:28 PM
thanks for the input guys. I really dont drive the car hard at all i just use it as a daily driver to work school etc. I am going to stick with the 19x8.5 instead of the 19x9 i think that will be more practical. Are there any suggestions for a good looking non volk 18x8 rim? The total cost for the racing harts came out to around 3 grand with tires and springs. So if any of you have suggestions for comprable rims please let me know.

Macky
04-10-2005, 03:34 PM
damn that wheel is huge :shock:

j_nizzle
04-10-2005, 04:24 PM
would you be interested in my 18x8.5 5zigens? pm me.

evolutionist
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
i am running a 255/35/19 on rh evolution c5's(or something with a 5 in it, dont remember exactly)with no issues at all! i have noticed with the different evos i've driven the 19's actually perform better than the 18's. i havnt had any rubbing isses and i dropped it with tanabes 1.5 front and 1.0 in the back.

fr34k
08-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I just installed my 19x9 +35 offset work xsa-02c wheels...
i had the rear fender shaved, cos i feared that it may rub when hitting bumps.... now its running perfect no rubbing at all...
i'm using 235/35/19. and running the Tein S-tech
and guys, i have the power to back it up... GT30R turbo
so please no bashing... I just hate it when you guys bash people with 19 inch wheels... not everyone is building a race car here... I am just building a solid daily driver with good looks. :)
peace

jas0n
09-04-2005, 11:56 AM
i honestly think 18s will look great and perform as well as they look. Reason being that 19s will make your car look unpreportioned thus making your car look like something out of those DUB games. But yeah, thats just my opinion and why not volks? I mean, you're willing to pay 3k for rims/tires.

gofaster87
09-04-2005, 12:46 PM
This is the best thing Ive read in a while. Please tell us how and why you think the 19s outperform the 18s on some Evos. Dont tell me your ass feels a difference or you "think" it handles better.

i am running a 255/35/19 on rh evolution c5's(or something with a 5 in it, dont remember exactly)with no issues at all! i have noticed with the different evos i've driven the 19's actually perform better than the 18's. i havnt had any rubbing isses and i dropped it with tanabes 1.5 front and 1.0 in the back.

GokuSSJ4
09-05-2005, 12:23 AM
i don't even see the point in running 18's (unless you have a big brake kit that doesn't allow you to run anything below 18's) other wise, performance wise 17x8.5 are more than enought to run a 255 series tire.

sipevo
09-09-2005, 09:14 PM
too big! it suck to have to drive slow and watch out for ish all the time!!

twotan
09-22-2005, 10:36 PM
i have 19x8.5 on my evo. I don't think 19x9 is too. but, then again what do i know.

j_nizzle
09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
granted they look awesome...i dunno it's just not my thing to put great looking luxury wheels on an evo....

EvoPwr
09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
granted they look awesome...i dunno it's just not my thing to put great looking luxury wheels on an evo....

all depends what you are doing with the evo...show car or go car or both.

volcomguy84
09-23-2005, 09:47 PM
i have 19's too and i think they are great, not for everyone but i like them.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/volcomguy84/evobeach.jpg

twotan
09-27-2005, 09:59 PM
19's are great for the street. they are not for serious track use.

fly2low
10-12-2006, 02:33 AM
I don't mean to resurrect a death thread, but with 19x8 and 235/35/19, is there any rubbing issue? How much do you drop the car? I have an offer for a FREE set of wheels on that size. I don't really want to mess with factory's suspension setup ... but free goodies are always hard to refuse :p.

Here is the wheel by the way:

http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/International/Images/Web/Wheels/RS5_19__RD_400px.jpg

Here what it looks like on an E46 3-series BMW:

http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/Images/Wheels/RS5_19_E46_Rear.jpg
http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/NorthAmerica/Images/Wheels/RS5_19_E46_Front.jpg

"Our latest addition to our line of forged wheels was designed to maximize the lip size without compromising brake clearance.

The RS 5 features a fully forged center which is then machined on state-of-the-art CNC mills. As 100% of the wheel's surfaces are machined, the dimensions are so precise that it rarely requires any balancing.

The five spoke design is scalloped at the center and at the rim to increase the optical illusion of having the longest spoke possible, while still retaining unbelievable strength characteristics.

The RS 5 is available in an 8x19" and 9x19 staggered set with a reverse contour rim. The 20" (shown) with a standard contour rim, is a special order item only.

The RS 5 is designed to maximize brake caliper clearance and lip width. The 8 x 19 and 9 x 19 widths are the best possible size to get the maximum performance out of your 235/35 ZR 19 and 265/30 ZR 19 tire combination. This setup gives you a full 2.5" lip in the front, and a massive 3" lip in the rear. The bowed 5 spoke design will clear all of the RDSport Brake Systems , as well as most aftermarket units. The open spoke design provides for optimal cooling of all brake components.

The 55mm drop featured above was obtained by installing the RDSport Competition Spring Set. "

Sr20kidD
10-12-2006, 06:14 AM
yea but how light are they?

j_nizzle
10-12-2006, 07:43 AM
meh..do it!!!

fly2low
10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Yeah, the rims are free, but the tires are probably not. Plus, I'm gonna need a set of springs to drop the car a bit (which I hesitate to do). Otherwise, it's gonna look like Mad Max part II.

I know that I need to upgrade the brakes, anyway, but the need becomes pressing with the new wheel due to the ricer's (look) issue :p. Seriously, if I upgrade the rotors, I know I'd want an Alcon unit which is $$$ since they are imported from UK. Brembo doesn't really work well for street and often need frequent resurfacing.

I know that there is a thread about springs somewhere there. But please do tell me, which one gives the most similar feel to the factory setup. TIA.