PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide, Used or New?

lagcisco
04-10-2005, 06:10 AM
I'm looking into gettings an Evo, I just can't decide what I want so maybe you fine folks can help me out.

If I buy used, I'd buy it within a couple of weeks

New, I most likely would wait for the 9, but is it worth the wait/price difference/performance enhancements?

please advise, this is going to be my first high performance vehicle

lagcisco
04-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Oh, another issue is, how badly will re-sale prices of Evo 8s drop when the 9 is out?

I could buy a used 8 now, and trade it in for a 9 when thats out.. not sure.. just thinking out loud here :)

GTest
04-10-2005, 12:17 PM
If you can get a "good" deal on a used 8, go with that. In my opinion, the changes between the 8 and 9 do not translate to significant real-world performance improvements. Infact, there may be a new development cycle for tuner parts for the 9 if you plan on modding the car. I suspect that prices for the 8 will drop when the 9 comes out. It will be harder to find a used 8 with low miles as time goes on.

There was an '05 MR posted for sale on these boards with low miles and tons on mods for $27K. Thats was a good deal. I've seen several very low mile '05 VIII's for sale in the 26-28 range. Still under warranty. Last week, I saw a dealer advertise an 8 for 27K new. But could have been one of those loss-leader ads.

If you get a NEW 8 now, you are going to take a large hit on depreciation (first year is the worst) when you trade it for the 9.

I think the best path is to get a used 8 with low miles. Wait for a second or third revision of the 9 (after all kinks are worked out), then get the 9. Or, wait for the 10 which will have many more substantial improvements (maybe)

good luck

lagcisco
04-10-2005, 01:03 PM
thanks for the insightful reply GTest,

Is buying a heavily modded (even if its a good deal, price-wise) car a good thing?

By my thinking, I'd expect a heavily modded car to be driven harder.. than a non-modded one, but I guess theres no real way to find out for sure.

What's considered 'low miles'?

You mentioned a 'loss-leader' what is that? is that a bad thing?

Macky
04-10-2005, 01:12 PM
if you guys are so concerned about depreciation and resale value, get a honda.

rammsteinmatt
04-10-2005, 01:27 PM
if you guys are so concerned about depreciation and resale value, get a honda.

evos are:

expensive, harsh riding, attracting of negative attention, of poorer quality interior, but above all fast and extremely good performing. (thats all i could really think of right now, there's more though)

if you are not looking for basically a street legal (and sometimes not even that) race car, then the evo WILL disappoint.

lagcisco
04-12-2005, 11:46 PM
What are some good places to look for used Evos?

rammsteinmatt
04-13-2005, 12:04 AM
What are some good places to look for used Evos?

socalevo.net classifieds
HB mitsu