PDA

View Full Version : quietest exhaust

Boomshine
04-14-2005, 01:23 PM
What would be the 3 inch quietest catback. Iheard the borla and it sounds not too loud. Any opinions

trannb
04-14-2005, 01:52 PM
The custom route will be the quietest in evoland. Two resonators and something like a Magnaflow muffler would keep it very quiet and stock-looking.

Absinthe
04-14-2005, 01:56 PM
The custom route will be the quietest in evoland. Two resonators and something like a Magnaflow muffler would keep it very quiet and stock-looking.

PM WOT I think he is running one of these now, I run the same but with only 1 resonator, it works but is a bit boomy off throttle. also AVO with stock cat is very quiet.

Chris in SD
04-14-2005, 01:58 PM
The Ralliart exhaust is really quiet and sounds really good. I don't know if it's 3" (or a metric equivalent).

Knower
04-14-2005, 02:15 PM

This is absolutely the quietest route. Two of the longest resonators that will fit, a high flow cat, and a muffler like trannb listed. To go even quieter, you can go with a chambered muffler similar to Blak94GSX's 1g DSM setup. I believe he has a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler 3" in 3" out. He's made tons of power on this exhaust setup, so it's not going to limit you if you want to go super stealth quiet.

Make sure whatever you get you get a 3" tip and nothing bigger. Looks stock, sounds quiet, etc... An example of the exhaust trannb described (skip to the end of the video, you'll need quicktime, this evo made ~410whp @ 21 psi on 91 octane):
Right Click - Save As (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/knower/images/shinobu_temp/DSCN5602.MOV)

CT9A RS
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
You dont want to go the custom route. Fujitsubo RM-01A is super quiet.

trannb
04-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Why not? Because it's the most cost effective? Because it's exactly the way you want? Or because it doesn't have a fancy purple-green-blue tip?

Knower
04-14-2005, 03:48 PM

http://www.boomplustoys.net/Fujitsubo/rm01a.htm

$842 dollars? I hope it's made of titanium for that price. If it is indeed made of titanium then it's not going to be quieter than a custom steel exhaust. Add the price of the downpipe from the same site and you're at ~$1200 and you still haven't replaced the cat. You could save tons and make it lots quieter with the custom route along with the added benefit of having a stock looking tip that won't get you pulled over. Why again should someone looking for the "quietest exhaust" not go the custom route with a qualified shop?

All this from the self-proclaimed "broke ass foo" and I'm a little confused.

alex_alex
04-14-2005, 04:06 PM
plus the fujitsubo tapers i think

Absinthe
04-14-2005, 04:10 PM

perhaps he should have left it with out hte first two words, for those of you who are curious about custom jobs mine ran about $550

j_nizzle
04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
terrance ran an apexi ws cat-back and it was only loud at full throttle and full boost, macky has it now so you might want to ask him...

Boomshine
04-14-2005, 04:23 PM
its ok if its a little boomy as long as it does not sound like the buschur with the test pipe
Some said that rmr and ams has a quiet one

Macky
04-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Apexi WS 2 is pretty quiet and looks extremely stock, save for the 5"(or so) tip

snoop
04-14-2005, 04:26 PM
HKS Hipower is quiet 8)

05-EVO-GSR
04-14-2005, 05:16 PM
AVO, Greddy SP2, New RSR are quiet. The bigger the muffler, the lower the db. You can also buy the other ones on the market and jam a choker (silencer) in there and kill all your gains.

j_nizzle
04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
AVO, Greddy SP2, New RSR are quiet. The bigger the muffler, the lower the db. You can also buy the other ones on the market and jam a choker (silencer) in there and kill all your gains.

in actuality, you dont lose much power when using a silencer. there have been many dyno runs comparing exhausts with and without silencers and besides the noise level, the power gains are significantly different. however, i do agree that anyone looking for a quiet exhaust shouldnt buy one where a silencer is involved...it defeats the purpose of buying a quiet exhaust when you go out and buy a loud one expecting to quiet it down with a silencer.

tama_mog
04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
read the thread in tech talk about exhausts....custom exhaust with resonators = most stock looking and quietest way to go. I've had the RMR exhaust, it is not that quiet.....but sure it is quiet compared to popular aftermarket exhausts.....and u definitely don't want any kind of titanium when wanting a quiet system....that's just not going to happen.

Macky
04-14-2005, 05:57 PM
and u definitely don't want any kind of titanium when wanting a quiet system....that's just not going to happen.

agreed. unless you custom fabricate one, there is just no such thing.

Blaze
04-14-2005, 06:11 PM
Works Stealth is very quiet.
However it doesn't make as much power as HKS Hi Power.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. So try to find a system that complies with CA emissions and DB requirements.

HKS, RMR and I believe GReddy are good choices for this.

Blaze

Knower
04-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Works Stealth is very quiet.
However it doesn't make as much power as HKS Hi Power.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. So try to find a system that complies with CA emissions and DB requirements.

HKS, RMR and I believe GReddy are good choices for this.

Blaze

I agree on the having your cake and eating it too comment, however:

Any titanium cat-back exhaust system is VERY unlikely to ever meet California DB requirements without a silencer

Reference (http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/parts/greddytiexhaust.htm)

"Different slip in silencers tested to get the sound below 95 db. They restrict the flow but do make the exhaust California legal with the silencer installed. With the silencer out, the car is quite loud on a drive by at WOT but inside the car is not bad. The silencer that is supplied with the system is easy to install and remove."

As for emissions, anything replacing the stock cat is illegal unless you get specific permission based upon a strict set of criteria. The spirit of the law and people's experience would indicate that a high flow cat coupled to a downpipe is fine as long as your cat-back is quiet enough and doesn't have a melonshooter tip.

IH8VTEC
04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
The spirit of the law

Boomshine
04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
i dont live in cali so im not worried about cops and the
loudness i know if you want a free flowing exhaust with some gains it will be louder than stock i just dont want it to sound like a typical import 4 banger with exhaust. I know we have turbos so the sound is a little more muffeled any way but not much if you run a a buschur turbo back with test pipe.

Blaze
04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
I agree on the having your cake and eating it too comment, however:

Any titanium cat-back exhaust system is VERY unlikely to ever meet California DB requirements without a silencer

I was not inferring the GReddy TI as a choice.
Their evo II systems.

Blaze

05-EVO-GSR
04-16-2005, 08:06 PM
in actuality, you dont lose much power when using a silencer. there have been many dyno runs comparing exhausts with and without silencers and besides the noise level, the power gains are significantly different.

??!!?? That sounds like a oxymoron. You do not lose much power with a silencer but the power gains are significantly different. Where would I be able to find these dyno runs? Is it something you have seen first hand, is it "I heard this from the internet and/or a friend", "Sources say?"

Blaze
04-16-2005, 08:58 PM
in actuality, you dont lose much power when using a silencer. there have been many dyno runs comparing exhausts with and without silencers and besides the noise level, the power gains are significantly different.

??!!?? That sounds like a oxymoron. You do not lose much power with a silencer but the power gains are significantly different. Where would I be able to find these dyno runs? Is it something you have seen first hand, is it "I heard this from the internet and/or a friend", "Sources say?"

It's true! I added a silencer to my stock exhaust and noticed signigicant gains

http://www.cofba.org/users/billiumss/Camaro%20SS/Bill%20Dyno%20Graph%207-28-04.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

j_nizzle
04-17-2005, 04:25 PM

thanks for noticing that! i didnt realize i typed that...i meant to say the power gains w and w/o the silencer are not all that significantly different. sorry for the confusion if there was any.

CT9A RS
04-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Why not? Because it's the most cost effective? Because it's exactly the way you want? Or because it doesn't have a fancy purple-green-blue tip?

Sorry i meant to have an IF infront of that sentence.

CT9A RS
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM

http://www.boomplustoys.net/Fujitsubo/rm01a.htm

$842 dollars? I hope it's made of titanium for that price. If it is indeed made of titanium then it's not going to be quieter than a custom steel exhaust. Add the price of the downpipe from the same site and you're at ~$1200 and you still haven't replaced the cat. You could save tons and make it lots quieter with the custom route along with the added benefit of having a stock looking tip that won't get you pulled over. Why again should someone looking for the "quietest exhaust" not go the custom route with a qualified shop?

Sorry i meant to have an IF before that sentence. And Bulletproof sells it for less. And the titanium version is like 1600. But im just saying ive heard the fujitsubo catback with a helix dp and hiflow cat and its super quiet.

And get off my ass man.

EvoPwr
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM

Sorry i mean to have an IF infront of that sentence.

WTG, jesus you people and you grammer...i swear :roll:

CT9A RS
04-18-2005, 07:00 PM

damnt lol.

doctorevo
04-18-2005, 07:01 PM
if money is an issue, dont mod your evo. but if you are wanting to mod with expectations, just know that money will buy you what you want. being a cheapo saving a buck here and there will not get you anywhere.

EvoPwr
04-18-2005, 07:01 PM

damnt lol. :lol:

CT9A RS
04-18-2005, 07:02 PM

lol its Grammar.

EvoPwr
04-18-2005, 07:03 PM

lol its Grammar.

thank god you caught it took two times but you did it :twisted:

j_nizzle
04-18-2005, 07:27 PM

lol its Grammar.

thank god you caught it took two times but you did it :twisted:

WTF, jesus you people and your spelling....i swear :roll:

Knower
04-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Sorry i meant to have an IF before that sentence. And Bulletproof sells it for less. And the titanium version is like 1600. But im just saying ive heard the fujitsubo catback with a helix dp and hiflow cat and its super quiet.

And get off my ass man.

I'm not on your ass, not into that kind of stuff. I didn't see a steel version. Are you saying that there is a steel version that you've heard? How quiet is it compared to stock? A well made custom exhaust is cheaper and quieter than any aftermarket exhaust I've seen, so I'm curious. The custom exhaust I have experience with is cheap, well made, AND almost stock-levels of quiet.

if money is an issue, dont mod your evo. but if you are wanting to mod with expectations, just know that money will buy you what you want. being a cheapo saving a buck here and there will not get you anywhere.

I'm not sure this was directed at the custom exhaust route, but there's a difference between spending less on an exhaust that performs the same, sounds way quieter, and yet makes the same power as the pre-made ones and spending less to buy some piece of crap. Money will not get you what you want. Money alone will just get you an expensive car. Money and research will get you a fast car that's well built and yet not ludicrously expensive.

CT9A RS
04-19-2005, 03:42 PM

And get off my ass man.

I'm not on your ass, not into that kind of stuff. I didn't see a steel version. Are you saying that there is a steel version that you've heard? How quiet is it compared to stock? A well made custom exhaust is cheaper and quieter than any aftermarket exhaust I've seen, so I'm curious. The custom exhaust I have experience with is cheap, well made, AND almost stock-levels of quiet.

There is a steel version as well as a titanium version. I dont have decibel readings for you. But by ear it is very close to stock. Very quiet. Doctorevo has the fujitsubo RM-01A. It only gets louder under full open throttle but around town it is very quiet.

I know u like links n all that shiet so here ya go.

Fujitsubo RM-01A Steel version.
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catalog-detail.php?ID=1824

And if you went with their titanium version
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catalog-detail.php?ID=1826

And if you went with their downpipe.
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/catalog-detail.php?ID=1828

And just to clarify i dont knock custom exhausts at all. My favorite exhaust that ive ever had was custom. On my 240. Signal Auto custom Downpipe back 3" no resonators to a Signal Auto CB Muffler which cost me 750.

I suggest the Fujitsubo if you dont mind spending money for a good product that looks good n sounds good while being quiet. I dont suggest the titanium version if you want quiet.