PDA

View Full Version : weird smell

Alex7
04-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Hello to all, I'm not new to the forum but new to posting, I've had my Evo for 9 months and 11000 miles. No mods but coilovers, Greddy type S BOV and an HKS carbon ti exhaust. Lately, a smell seems to be seeping into the cabin through the vents. I smell it the strongest after shutting off the car and coming back to it about an hour later. I pop the hood and something like burning plastic or wires burning type of smell coming from the alternator area and the various wires mounted to the wall just behind the alternator. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Macky
04-14-2005, 11:29 PM
could be a fluid leak of some sort.

my 3000GT used to suddenly have that burning plastic smell. turns out one of the ball joints was leaking fluid and was getting splashed onto the lower part of the engine - causing it to heat and produce a burned plastic odor.

just have the underside checked, and look at all your fluid lines and anything that may contain some liquid grease.

Alex7
04-14-2005, 11:35 PM
whoa that could be bad, I'll look into it, thanks much.

Macky
04-14-2005, 11:36 PM
yea just look into it. hopefully its not as bad as i described, but normally grease and other petroleum fluids smell like brunt/burning plastics/carbon when heated.

hope you fix things, good luck 8)

evomrguy
04-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Coolant has a very distinctive smell, sort of like plastic, make sure your coolant isnt leaking too. Also just check around your exhaust piping I get this problem a lot at my work where a plastic bag gets swepted up under the car and sticks to some part of the exhaust piping, then melts. You dont always smell the smell since you are moving while driving. But when coming back to the car you get the smell since it has had a chance to sit and cook. So make sure you dont have any plastic melting on any of your piping and make sure no wiring or loom has fell onto the manifold or is resting against the piping.

GokuSSJ4
04-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Coolant has a very distinctive smell, sort of like plastic, make sure your coolant isnt leaking too. Also just check around your exhaust piping I get this problem a lot at my work where a plastic bag gets swepted up under the car and sticks to some part of the exhaust piping, then melts. You dont always smell the smell since you are moving while driving. But when coming back to the car you get the smell since it has had a chance to sit and cook. So make sure you dont have any plastic melting on any of your piping and make sure no wiring or loom has fell onto the manifold or is resting against the piping.
similar thing happen to me as well, a bag got stock on the DP . The smell went away till the plastic was completly burn off. Check your exhaust system, especially if your car is lowered.

leaveit2bevo
04-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I had something like that, there was a coating on the bottom of the car that was breaking off and hitting the downpipe and made the worst natural gas smell.

EugeoEvo
04-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Not related to plastic bags or this topic in general, but a couple days ago I had a HUGE ASS dragon fly hit my windshield.. then get sucked in through my driver side window that was half open... scariest thing that's happen to me lately, it was still semi-concious...

ovenmit331
04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Not related to plastic bags or this topic in general, but a couple days ago I had a HUGE ASS dragon fly hit my windshield.. then get sucked in through my driver side window that was half open... scariest thing that's happen to me lately, it was still semi-concious...

haha how fast were you going? can you imagine getting hit by a cruiseliner goin like 4,000 mph and LIVING... tough little dragonfly

EugeoEvo
04-15-2005, 01:58 PM
oh, i wasn't going that fast... probably accelerated to about... 40 to 50mph

Alex7
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
thanks guys, I havent been able to find anything but the smell seems to have gone away, thanks again to all