PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to anybody else?

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 12:34 AM
ok i'll be driving, and i'll let go of my steering wheel and it will start going to the right slowly. i got it aligned like a week ago. wtf.

EVOate909
04-15-2005, 12:37 AM
this happened to me too...but it doesnt happen all the time so i assume its jus the rough ass roads here in socal :?

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM
haha you think so? yah but mine is like obviously going to the right cuz it never ever goes to the left. If the alignment is fine (cuz i just got it aligned) could it be the axels?

airforce1
04-15-2005, 01:26 AM
dark star,

I was about to post on the same subject but you beat me to it. I have the same thing happen to me. I would roll to a stop at an intersection and the steering wheel would jerk to the right. It would only hapen on any uneven surface. Either it is:

a. normal
b. power steering is bad (I doubt it)
c. differential (i've read a bad transfer case would cause a jerky steering motion)

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Capt John Kim, US Air Force

Mr.Evolution8 AKA Mr. Evo
04-15-2005, 01:38 AM
it happens to me alot even when the car was brand new im use to it

wirespeed
04-15-2005, 01:47 AM
check your tire pressures

airforce1
04-15-2005, 02:22 AM
tire pressures are fine. It is not the problem...

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 02:30 AM
how severe does yours do it though. Like mine isnt that that bad its just annoying. If i let go of my steering wheel it'll be like a really really slow merging lane change. But mine always goes right it doesnt even vary. Once in a blue moon it'll go straight i dunno what it could be

Tarmac02
04-15-2005, 02:39 AM
it's A. NORMAL....

if it's a slight jerking sometimes ...

The advans are so stiff every single bump causes a change in direction with your tires... the price you pay for good tires... I'm running proxes 4s as daily tires right now and it happens less. Just keep your hand on the steering wheel. The steering rack is tight and you have sticky tires with stiff sidewalls... it's all good.

if it's gradual then it's either a) the road you're on is slanted to the right... or b)your alignment is dicked... if you just got it done or checked then it's a

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 02:48 AM
but why is it to the right everysingle time??? i'll seriously like set my steering wheel to the left and it'll somehow start going right slowly when i let go of the steering wheel. If i just got my car aligned could it be axels?

Tarmac02
04-15-2005, 02:52 AM
I don't think the axels have ever been an issue with the Evos...

FutureEVO
04-15-2005, 03:01 AM
ok i'll be driving, and i'll let go of my steering wheel and it will start going to the right slowly. i got it aligned like a week ago. wtf.

your car is haunted by a little girl thats whats wrong

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 03:10 AM

your car is haunted by a little girl thats whats wrong

Your such a little bitch

Macky
04-15-2005, 09:01 AM
besides the "normal" problem you guys encounter, its apparent in most new cars because it is assumed if you loose control over the wheel (or let go accidentally, you are going to be much safer moving off to the right side (curb) than rather head onto oncoming traffic (assuming there is no divider).

from what ive heard cars in RHD countries swerve to the left, but have not seen any concrete evidence.

but yes, from my 3000GT, to our wrx, to our 02 Grand caravan to our montero even to the evos...if you let go of the wheel for some time, it has more of a tendency to swerve the car right.

just my .02s

Skiracer
04-15-2005, 09:03 AM
I think the car tends to swerve right since they design highways on a "slight" angle to let water trickle to the side of the road.

GokuSSJ4
04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
but why is it to the right everysingle time??? i'll seriously like set my steering wheel to the left and it'll somehow start going right slowly when i let go of the steering wheel. If i just got my car aligned could it be axels?
can you post your tire psi ?
you will be suprise how tire pressure makes a huge difference.

EVO Neil
04-15-2005, 09:56 AM
...or it could be a tire pull. If you've had the car aligned and have properly set tire pressures, you may want to try to rotate the tires front to rear and see if it helps. If it does you have a tire pull.

Absinthe
04-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I think the car tends to swerve right since they design highways on a "slight" angle to let water trickle to the side of the road.

DING, DING this is the issue roads are crowned to let water run off.

EVO Neil
04-15-2005, 12:01 PM

Yes, but it wouldn't always pull right since roads are angled for run-off both left and right. He'd have it pulling both ways and he doesn't, according to his post.

rammsteinmatt
04-15-2005, 12:20 PM

Yes, but it wouldn't always pull right since roads are angled for run-off both left and right. He'd have it pulling both ways and he doesn't, according to his post.

actually they are angled to make the center the higest, so no matter when you drive, granted it is on the right side of the road, you will pull to the right. you are right they are angled left and right, but the side that is angled left is being driven on in the opposite direction, which effectively mirrors the angle of banking

EvoPwr
04-15-2005, 12:20 PM

yup, i notice a slight pull to my rigth also, i was gonna ask, but my civic did the samething so i was like fuck it.

Skiracer
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
You should also pay attention to grooves in the roads from cars constantly driving on them. You will see this most of the time on blacktop surfaces.

rammsteinmatt
04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
You should also pay attention to grooves in the roads from cars constantly driving on them. You will see this most of the time on blacktop surfaces.

or the lines that are made in the freeway when they are first poured to control water. those generally dont follow the lanes that well, and the advans would stay to those like flys on shit

EvoPwr
04-15-2005, 12:46 PM

or the lines that are made in the freeway when they are first poured to control water. those generally dont follow the lanes that well, and the advans would stay to those like flys on shit

:lol: :lol: flys on shit LOL

DarkStarEvo
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
wow you guys have some interesting theories. i guess i can live with it or learn to live with it.

Howie
04-15-2005, 04:27 PM
my car pulls to the right also. I took my car to RRE to get it realigned, and john took me out for a ride. While we were driving up and down the street, the car didn't pull at all. It stayed perfectly straight.

Unfortunately when i drive, it pulls to the right. I guess I suck at driving. hehe...

itsnino
04-16-2005, 09:44 AM

yup, you are correct! learned this in my "highway" class. it is designed to let the water drain off to the side so that water doesnt accumulate in the streets. good thing i paid attention last quarter.

thetaxguy
05-29-2005, 02:39 AM
So with a recently performed alignment and correct tire pressure...if the car pulls "sightly" to the left, am I screwed?

itsnino
05-31-2005, 11:49 AM
are you driving on the wrong side of the road? hahaha, just playing... mine is to the right, but one more thing is that my steering wheel is usually turned to the right also (driving straight), but this has been the same with all of my cars that ive had. i guess its just the adjustment due to the street's design.

to the left though, wouldnt know. goodluck buddy. :D