PDA

View Full Version : what tire PSI should i run at track?

gshock
04-16-2005, 03:45 PM
for the fast drivers!

what tire PSI should i run at track? same for all four or front 2-3 higher than rear? thanks for the help!

i got 2'04 at BW CCW14 but only 2'11 at CCW 13!
:oops: :?:
PENG

leaveit2bevo
04-17-2005, 01:49 AM
stock suspension?

gshock
04-17-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah.the car is stock . i just have a rear sway bar!

i heard that i should try to run four tires at the same PSI. and then use other things to adj it.

but guess i am running the stock supension. i need to adj the PSI to make it work.

so maybe 2-3 PSI lower than front.

i should have run 2'08-2'09. i lost 2-3 secs. after i install the sway bar :roll: ,

i was stock when i was running 14. and a sway bar at 13.

guess it is not a good mod :lol:

leaveit2bevo
04-17-2005, 11:12 PM
its a really good mod for the evo no sure why you lost time though.

gshock
04-17-2005, 11:27 PM
i know it should be a good mod.

i guess i don't have the confendece to go as fast as last time . don't know why :idea: . i was trying to go smoother. don't want to push the car too hard. i was pushing the car too hard last time and my brand new front tires are almost gone :twisted: GAC tires. i don't know. i think maybe front tires 2-3 PSI higher should be good for stock suspension.

i will try to drive as smooth as possbile. maybe i will lose time but i think it will come all together later. need more track time :lol:

anyway. thanks

peng

leaveit2bevo
04-17-2005, 11:29 PM
what track are you running?

gshock
04-17-2005, 11:31 PM
BW

gshock
04-17-2005, 11:32 PM
BW buttonwillow

i saw richred both time :lol:

GokuSSJ4
04-18-2005, 10:32 AM
BW buttonwillow

i saw richred both time :lol:
your psi target should be 40 all around (hot) so if you are running a different configuration that most of us are use too, it will be hard to tell you what specific air pressure to run. Your best bet will be going out the first session and adjust as you go along your psi, your target should be trying to get 40 psi all around.

kaisho99
04-18-2005, 11:29 AM
The psi need is the amount necessary to keep your tires from rolling.

"Put 3 dots of shoe polish on the side walls and when you come back if it's gone...add more air!!" (That is a quote from Neil's mouth :P) If it's not gone and your psi isn't over 45 don't worry 'bout it.

Typically I end up around 40ish front 44ish rear Hot on RA1's. I usually start out with staggered setting ala Robi. 35FL 37FR 37RL 39RR Cold (depends on direction of track of course..) that's for a mueller allignment and sway bar on tight.

500whp
04-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I dont know too much about tire pressure, but there should NEVER be a set PSI that will work the best on the track! because the weather might be hotter/colder, the way you dirve will warm it up faster/colder, giving it more or less pressure your car will handle very differently and some people like over steering, some people like understeering!

Jeffrey

Absinthe
04-18-2005, 11:50 AM
for what its worth I dont like this thread, too many factors go into tire preasures like track, wheel size, tire, tire size etc.

The best advice is the above, it is the least amount of air that keeps your tire from rolling over.

Skiracer
04-18-2005, 01:13 PM
From my past experience at a past EOC event, i got recommended tire pressure from the instructors for our track/setup at Streets of Willow. Every tire had a different recommended PSI for our particular track setup.

gshock
04-18-2005, 03:59 PM
thanks for the inputs guys

i know the tire PSI should be diff. IE. if u run CCW. RF should be the highest and LR should be the lowest. the question is do u run basicly all four tires at the same PSI or front higher? rear higher?

i know lots of factors will come into play! i just want to get the basic idear of what the starting PSI HOT should be :lol:

give u an idear. i was running BONE STOCK at BW last time and i was 8 secs slower than kent's new car and about 9 secs faster than richerd's

thanks
peng

ScoobySteve
04-20-2005, 02:41 AM
consider running nitro in your tires, its less prone to characteristic change as a result of temperature changes, and has a made a difference IMO. Just a suggestion, good luck dude.

gshock
04-20-2005, 07:26 PM
THANKS MAN

YEAH THAT'S A GOOD IDEA. WILL TRY IT OUT NEXT TIME!