PDA

View Full Version : oil on 1st spark plug?

The Emperor
04-24-2005, 04:45 PM
i recently got my car unfinished dyno tuned by TT because they found oil on my spark plug thread on the first cylinder so they stop the tune. What i was told that it could be the piston rings, the whole piston, or something is wrong in the block. I hope this is nothing to serious or money consuming. Ive been driving my car for a couple of weeks now and the car is running normal. help would be appreciated. THANKS!

evomrguy
04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
Is it on just the electode part or in the tubeand back of the plug? If its in the tube than its the tube seal or gasket, if its on the eclectrode than it could be what your mentioning. It could be a valve seal, does your motor smoke when you start it in the morning after letting it sit overnight? Check your compression they should all be within 10% of one another. If the compression is bad there could be a problem with the rings, if it smokes in the morning it could be a valve seal. Are your wires and coil packs okay? Check to make sure your getting a good spark at the cylinders, it could that its unable to light off the mixture which will leave the electrode wet. Try changing your plugs to fresh ones and check back in a few days or so to see if its wet again. Are there any check engine light codes? I doubt its the piston otherwise you should hear noise or have smoke billowing out the back and you would see some serious decrease in performance, same goes for the block. Good luck, and keep us updated on what you find out.

The Emperor
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
what do you mean smoke? when i turn on the engine to warm up, white smoke comes out the exhaust maybe because its cold i guess?

STFU Tuning
04-25-2005, 10:57 PM
If it is on the electrode, do a compression check right away. Sounds like a piston or rings.

Oh, and nice avatar!

evomrguy
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
For the smoke I mean actual smoke not just a little condensation burning off. You would smell a burnt oil smell. Start the car in the morning after it has sat overnight and then stand in back by the exhaust to see if you smell burnt oil, if not it is probably condensation. Check the other things I mentioned then. And oh yeah, it is a very nice avatar.

Smogrunner
04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
The Emporer,
I was there when they discovered the oil on the plug. Have you done a compression test yet? The tool is very affordable 20 to 40 bucks. Do it right away.
Smoggy

evolved
05-01-2005, 02:36 AM
white smoke = water burning off= cold start, or water (bad headgasket)
blue smoke = oil= valve guides, piston rings.

low compression= piston rings, or head (high blow back)
no compression= hole in piston, or cylendar(sp) wall

blue smoke no compression = god hates you :cry:

Alexxx
02-16-2006, 03:56 PM
i know this thread is old already but i have the same problem.

except that on mine there is oil on the first 3 threads of the spark plug closest to the tightening nut and then theres coolant on the top side of the nut? what the hell could that be

the tip and 3/4 of the plug are dry and the combustion chamber looks regular what could this be?

03 with 38,xxx miles compression is pretty good in all the the cylinders

Alexxx
02-16-2006, 05:33 PM
?

EVOate909
02-17-2006, 03:58 PM
do a leak down test as well

TuningTechnologies
02-17-2006, 05:16 PM
we did a compression test on the car when we noticed the condition of the plug. Cylinder 1 was very low.......I dont recall the exact numbers........good Luck man and let us know if we can be of any further help