PDA

View Full Version : clarification on this term?

evooci
05-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I read some gas mileage threads and people mentioned...well I was driving vacuum mainly.

I'm assuming they meant boost was turned off.

Is there really way to turn off the boost in the evos?

I thought it was on all the time?

Sorry never owned a TC car before. :oops:

peace

alex_alex
05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I read some gas mileage threads and people mentioned...well I was driving vacuum mainly.

I'm assuming they meant boost was turned off.

Is there really way to turn off the boost in the evos?

I thought it was on all the time?

Sorry never owned a TC car before. :oops:

peace

when they're driving on "vacuum" it just means that they're not in boost, not necessarily that they turned the boost off

usually this means taking it easy, and not accelerating fast enough to allow our turbo to spool. it has more to do with load, and not so much to do with rpms. you can take your car to 4-5k rpms, but if you do it real slowly, you wont build boost either

santhology
05-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Getting a boost gauge will demonstrate this.. showing when your on boost and how much your boosting!! :D

rammsteinmatt
05-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Getting a boost gauge will demonstrate this.. showing when your on boost and how much your boosting!! :D

so you got yours?

EvoPwr
05-04-2005, 06:47 PM

so you got yours?

is that what they do?

evooci
05-05-2005, 04:06 PM
when they're driving on "vacuum" it just means that they're not in boost, not necessarily that they turned the boost off

usually this means taking it easy, and not accelerating fast enough to allow our turbo to spool. it has more to do with load, and not so much to do with rpms. you can take your car to 4-5k rpms, but if you do it real slowly, you wont build boost either

that's a good explanation alex thanx

out of curiosity say your cruising on the fwy @ 80mph "vacumm" mode and you want to speed up quickly to prepare for a lane change, how long does it take for the turbo to spool up in top gear?

or is it necessary to downshift and rev-match? will the boost kick in after you let out the clutch after the rev-match?

what happens when the boost kicks in and you have to let off the gas for traffic for example? did the boost that was just built get lost and the process of spooling the turbo starts over?

I've asked these questions because I want to get a better understanding when and how fast the turbo builds boost under certain driving conditions.

peace

DTunedEvoX
05-05-2005, 04:37 PM

that's a good explanation alex thanx

out of curiosity say your cruising on the fwy @ 80mph "vacumm" mode and you want to speed up quickly to prepare for a lane change, how long does it take for the turbo to spool up in top gear?
Just hit the gass - it will be almost instantanious depending on what RPM you are in your powerband .. and how much gas you are giving it ...

or is it necessary to downshift and rev-match?
Not necessary if your just doing a lane change
will the boost kick in after you let out the clutch after the rev-match?
No, you need to be giving it gas in order to have boost developed - letting the clutch out alone @ a higher RPM wont generate much boost if any @ all ...

what happens when the boost kicks in and you have to let off the gas for traffic for example?
Well nothing - the boost gets recirculated via the Diverter Valve back into the intake.

did the boost that was just built get lost and the process of spooling the turbo starts over?
Yes the turbo will start over but there is some recirculated(premeasured air) that will be used to continue spooling the turbo if you happen to gas it ..I've asked these questions because I want to get a better understanding when and how fast the turbo builds boost under certain driving conditions.

peace

Read what I put in bold. But your best bet is to get to a meet and have someone w/ a boost gauge drive around and go through the gears and demonstrate the questions you ask. Ultimatley you'll understand this when you actually DRIVE a turbo car and will make much much more sense when your experiencing it for yourself with the ability to look @ a boost gauge ..

WavMixer
05-05-2005, 04:38 PM
I would downshift instead of waiting for the turbo to spool.

whiteJDMevo
05-05-2005, 11:02 PM
something that might help with your general knowledge of turbocharger is go to howstuffworks.com and search for an article on turbos. this should help you understand the general workings of them

alex_alex
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
something that might help with your general knowledge of turbocharger is go to howstuffworks.com and search for an article on turbos. this should help you understand the general workings of them

it really is an awesome sight. and you'll notice that the turbocharger writeup and the engine write-up are both in their 10 ten most popular