PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to install turbo timer ASAP

evo mr
05-06-2005, 06:08 PM
i bought a turbo timer a APEXI and i have an idea but i dont want to risk it anybody that have the same can you help or someone that knows how to install please help ASAP

500whp
05-06-2005, 06:21 PM
All you need is the Harness!

You take off the steering wheel shield the plastic piece right behind the steering wheel. Then theres a plug that connects to your key. Unplug that, and plug it into the harness, and then the hanress to the hole! You are done!

lqdchkn
05-06-2005, 06:56 PM
yup need a harness then it's plug-and-play, except for maybe the ground.

j_nizzle
05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
yup need a harness then it's plug-and-play, except for maybe the ground.

i dont think the apex'i has the ground...i think the others hks, greddy, blitz all use it though.

ultraflip
05-06-2005, 07:51 PM
i'm pretty sure they all have ground...
in addition... apexi has 1 wire that taps to the ecu and the wire to the e-brake

Knower
05-06-2005, 09:03 PM
i'm pretty sure they all have ground...
in addition... apexi has 1 wire that taps to the ecu and the wire to the e-brake

Don't hook up the wire to the ECU. It's one thing I won't recommend hacking the wiring harness for. You can still get o2 volts from a datalogger and your front o2 is not the greatest for tuning, and useless otherwise. Just hook up the parking brake wire.

ultraflip
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
please keep in mind... if that wire is not tapped into the ecu... the "auto timing mode" will not function... many of the newer turbo timers have the feature of gradually raising the amount of time of idling based on driving behavior...

yeah.... it's just a gimmick... but if you paid for it... why not use it... right?

gofaster87
05-07-2005, 01:02 AM
The less gimicks the better. A turbo timer is just a cool accesory anyhow and istn really neeeded.

kaisho99
05-07-2005, 10:21 AM
The less gimicks the better. A turbo timer is just a cool accesory anyhow and istn really neeeded.

sure, unless you like sitting in your car for a couple minutes to let the turbo cool down. :roll:

personally i got places to go that why i drove there. :P

the apexi is real easy to install once u get the harness (all harnesses are universal so get whichever u can find). just plug it into the ignition connector. and yeah dont bother with running the o2 tap to the ecu (that's kinda dangerous unless u know what ur doing) just tie it up and ziptie it to something is all i did.

oh and you gotta pull the center console up (stick shift/cup holder panel) so you can wire the ebrake kill. it's a simple line tap clip which is included.

Macky
05-07-2005, 12:11 PM
everything sounds pretty simple, until the time comes when you need to put everything back

j_nizzle
05-07-2005, 12:45 PM
everything sounds pretty simple, until the time comes when you need to put everything back

a little personal experience there.... :D

gofaster87
05-07-2005, 12:58 PM

sure, unless you like sitting in your car for a couple minutes to let the turbo cool down. :roll:

the apexi is real easy to install once u get the harness (all harnesses are universal so get whichever u can find). just plug it into the ignition connector. and yeah dont bother with running the o2 tap to the ecu (that's kinda dangerous unless u know what ur doing) just tie it up and ziptie it to something is all i did.

oh and you gotta pull the center console up (stick shift/cup holder panel) so you can wire the ebrake kill. it's a simple line tap clip which is included.

You dont need to cool off that long, I beleive I somewhat know what Im talking about. 30 to 60 seconds of casual driving at the end of your spirited driving session is more than enough. 2 minutes at idle is overkill. And Im not going to include a gay smiley at the end of my quote. By the way your oil cooler with moving air is more effective at cooling the oil through the turbo than sitting at idle and letting boiling oil just sit there.

ultraflip
05-07-2005, 01:11 PM

a little personal experience there.... :D

it's more being EXTREMELY cautious.... it's macky after all... ;-)

alex_alex
05-07-2005, 08:58 PM

You dont need to cool off that long, I beleive I somewhat know what Im talking about. 30 to 60 seconds of casual driving at the end of your spirited driving session is more than enough. 2 minutes at idle is overkill. And Im not going to include a gay smiley at the end of my quote. By the way your oil cooler with moving air is more effective at cooling the oil through the turbo than sitting at idle and letting boiling oil just sit there.

sam's right, it really isn't necessary at all, esp with synthetic oil.

gt40
05-07-2005, 09:29 PM
it's a simple line tap clip which is included.

Don't hook up the wire to the ECU. It's one thing I won't recommend hacking the wiring harness for. You can still get o2 volts from a datalogger and your front o2 is not the greatest for tuning, and useless otherwise. Just hook up the parking brake wire.

You must be talking about the vampire tap you want hack up your perfectly fine ecu harness with. Vampire taps= bad.

Like knower said, save hacking your ecu harness or the expense of a fields harness for something that actually makes you go faster. You run the risk of messing with your warranty if you cut up the stock ecu wiring...

I just run my car slow for a few minutes after doing any hard driving and I have 35k really hard miles/26 track days on my car and no turbo timer.

alex_alex
05-07-2005, 09:34 PM
it's a simple line tap clip which is included.

You must be talking about the vampire tap you want hack up your perfectly fine ecu harness with. Vampire taps= bad.

Like knower said, save hacking your ecu harness or the expense of a fields harness for something that actually makes you go faster. You run the risk of messing with your warranty if you cut up the stock ecu wiring...

I just run my car slow for a few minutes after doing any hard driving and I have 35k really hard miles/26 track days on my car and no turbo timer.

its amazing that you can still keep count of your track days :lol:

j_nizzle
05-07-2005, 11:39 PM
the more i think about it, i think most people get a turbo timer so other people can go........hey you left your car on!!!or wait, you have the key, your car is still running?!!

alex_alex
05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
the more i think about it, i think most people get a turbo timer so other people can go........hey you left your car on!!!or wait, you have the key, your car is still running?!!

haha i know huh.

i have one myself :oops: but its always turned off. i like using it at the track when i leave my car running, and need to walk away from the car. just have to pull the ebrake up one teeny little notch.

trannb
05-08-2005, 10:22 AM
By the way your oil cooler with moving air is more effective at cooling the oil through the turbo than sitting at idle and letting boiling oil just sit there.

The oil pressure in your system is also many times higher when you're going even 2,000 rpm compared to idle. But hey, whatever gets people to pay more attention to your car I guess.

gofaster87
05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
By the way your oil cooler with moving air is more effective at cooling the oil through the turbo than sitting at idle and letting boiling oil just sit there.

The oil pressure in your system is also many times higher when you're going even 2,000 rpm compared to idle. But hey, whatever gets people to pay more attention to your car I guess.

Hey, someone finally agrees with me.

EvoPwr
05-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Hey, someone finally agrees with me.

BAH who cares :roll: :lol: