PDA

View Full Version : pulled over today

itsa281
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
how many of you have had this problem.just got pulled over today by the sheriff in carson.he pulled me over and came to the window gave me a funny look and said"oh ha i thought those were suspenders nevermind" ha he was trying to get me for not wearing my seatbelt but i was wearing my 4 points.haha sucker :lol: :nana:

EVO Neil
05-09-2005, 10:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken he still could have cited you for a seat belt infraction. Of course I could also be wrong about that. :wink:

CJexJiggy
05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
seat belt infractions? Never heard of that

airforce1
05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
If I'm not mistaken he still could have cited you for a seat belt infraction. Of course I could also be wrong about that. :wink:

Hmm, I'm wondering about the logic of that. Theoretically, a 4 point system should be superior to a 3 point system in terms of crash worthiness. In fact, nothing in the regs say anything about aftermarket safety belts and harnasses.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27315.htm

A seatbelt is a seatbelt.

rammsteinmatt
05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
well if you dont use the OEM (DOT certified) belts they can technically cite you. but i figure if they are good enough for FIA (some belts) they are good enough for NTSB

bonestockevo8
05-10-2005, 12:00 AM
well if you dont use the OEM (DOT certified) belts they can technically cite you. but i figure if they are good enough for FIA (some belts) they are good enough for NTSB If it isn't OEM; you can still get tagged; regardless of which one is safer. Cmon now; these are the guys pulling over evos w/ stock exhausts when there are murderers and rapists running around on the loose.

whiteJDMevo
05-10-2005, 08:17 AM
they worry more about people driving modified cars than the people driving with guns in the car

GOOSE_Ej
05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
they worry more about people driving modified cars than the people driving with guns in the car

yes sir!!!

G20
05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
You're completely right. When they pulled me over for a stupid reason, they don't even bother to look inside my car but go straight for the engine. So if those guys with gun that killed people, they can get away with a ticket of modified emission. ha ha..

mybada
05-10-2005, 11:01 AM

:bow: hahahaha that is so true!

itsa281
05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
well if something happens to the stock belt and it is no longer safe you can replace it and it doesnt have to be from mitsu . 8)

Blaze
05-11-2005, 05:54 PM
well if you dont use the OEM (DOT certified) belts they can technically cite you. but i figure if they are good enough for FIA (some belts) they are good enough for NTSB

That's exactly it.
Safe or not, unless the belts are DOT (department of transportation) approved, you can't use them.

Same thing goes for your J-Spec tail lights.

Blaze

ShangTsung
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM

That's exactly it.
Safe or not, unless the belts are DOT (department of transportation) approved, you can't use them.

Blaze

DOT doesn't approve anything, they just list out specs. Your FIA approved harness blows away DOT specs.

rammsteinmatt
05-11-2005, 10:12 PM

That's exactly it.

Blaze

DOT doesn't approve anything, they just list out specs. Your FIA approved harness blows away DOT specs.

that was my point if you were running takata's or even sparco racing cam lockers. and got nailed for that, it would be the bullshit ticket of the season

like motorctcle laws say whatever meets or exceeds DOT motorcycle helmet laws is legal, so why wouldnt it be the same for seatbelts? i dunno. but i know you wouldnt get a citation for having a helmet that exceeded the law :roll:

alex_alex
05-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Hmm, I'm wondering about the logic of that. Theoretically, a 4 point system should be superior to a 3 point system in terms of crash worthiness. In fact, nothing in the regs say anything about aftermarket safety belts and harnasses.

3-point seatbelts designed from the factory are safety equipment.

the 4-point racing harness has nothing to do with saafety. They are designed to hold you in your seat so you can drive without being thrown around. Actually, you're pretty screwed in the event of a serious crash if you dont have a rollcage and are wearing one of those 4-point harnesses.

airforce1
05-12-2005, 12:11 AM

the 4-point racing harness has nothing to do with saafety. They are designed to hold you in your seat so you can drive without being thrown around. Actually, you're pretty screwed in the event of a serious crash if you dont have a rollcage and are wearing one of those 4-point harnesses.

Hmmm, okay it holds you in your seat....LOL, isn't that what a seatbelt is? Can you be specific on how a 4 pt harness is LESS safe? :?:

bonestockevo8
05-12-2005, 12:19 AM

Hmmm, okay it holds you in your seat....LOL, isn't that what a seatbelt is? Can you be specific on how a 4 pt harness is LESS safe? :?: John, whats up bro..its jason. A 4 pt. harness makes it so you cannot maneuver your head/neck out of the way if you flip over. On a street car; that means you are screwed. The factory seatbelts allow you to maneuver head and neck in case the roof crashes in.

alex_alex
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM

Hmmm, okay it holds you in your seat....LOL, isn't that what a seatbelt is? Can you be specific on how a 4 pt harness is LESS safe? :?: John, whats up bro..its jason. A 4 pt. harness makes it so you cannot maneuver your head/neck out of the way if you flip over. On a street car; that means you are screwed. The factory seatbelts allow you to maneuver head and neck in case the roof crashes in.

what he said.

Plus, if you've noticed, the stock seat belt, and ALL stock seatbelts, give slack as long as the force exerted on the seatbelt isn't sudden and extreme (e.g. in a crash). Harnesses don't do that. Theres a reason even the sportiest of sports cars sold as production cars don't ever come with 4-pt or 5-pt harnesses.

itsa281
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM

what he said.

Plus, if you've noticed, the stock seat belt, and ALL stock seatbelts, give slack as long as the force exerted on the seatbelt isn't sudden and extreme (e.g. in a crash). Harnesses don't do that. Theres a reason even the sportiest of sports cars sold as production cars don't ever come with 4-pt or 5-pt harnesses.

umm becouse three points are cheaper and more comfortable oh and less of a hassle to use and even a monkey can put one latch into another. :banghead:

Knower
05-12-2005, 04:33 PM
umm becouse three points are cheaper and more comfortable oh and less of a hassle to use and even a monkey can put one latch into another. :banghead:

Not to mention that there ARE four point seat belts that allow for slack like the stock seat belts if you really want them.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsafety.htm

Dom Toretto
05-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I get pulled over all the time but I just run.

MAFIOSO8
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I get pulled over all the time but I just run.I bet you do....

santhology
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM

seriously!! :evil:

alex_alex
05-12-2005, 11:41 PM

what he said.

oh good call. theyre cheaper. that must be why exotic sports cars dont come with them. :lol:

alex_alex
05-12-2005, 11:48 PM

Not to mention that there ARE four point seat belts that allow for slack like the stock seat belts if you really want them.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsafety.htm

i dont see a single 4-point seat belt on that site that allows for slack like the stock seat belt.

this is all i see http://www.roadraceengineering.com/parts/schroth/autocontrolx.gif

that is a pretty nifty idea though.

but most if not all 4 and 5 point harnesses come with a disclaimer right on the box explicitly warning that they are NOT safety equipment

jayvolution
10-17-2005, 01:21 PM
so he thought you were wearing suspenders? :2funny:

Racing Chick
10-17-2005, 01:28 PM
so he thought you were wearing suspenders?* :2funny:
:2funny: :2funny:

ultraflip
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
i've been tagged for having my 4pt sparcos... officer requested documentation prior to issuing me a ticket... also got tagged for my sparco corsa seat... said it wasn't "street legal"... oh... and on that helmet thing.. yeah... i got tagged for 'obstruction of view' when i wore it on the streets (dont ask)...

all of those were fought in court w/ documentation from sparco and shoei... judge felt that the safety of a helmet and harnesses w/ a racing seat seemed better than OEM stuff... but was not deemed legal by DOT... didn't get fined... but a slap on the wrist... for basically not being able to produce documentation on the various items in my car...

done

flipryder21
10-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I think he could have still given you a ticket. Those 4point seatbelt are not street legal they are racing seat belts that are meant for the track. I could be wrong but cool good you didn't get a ticket 8)

bonestockevo8
10-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Yeah I was pulled over in my other car for having harnesses...they said any seatbelts besides OEM were not legal on the street. I put the stock belts back in and went to court; the DA agreed that the harnesses are probably safer; but since I already put my belts back on the fine was dismissed. Honestly I don't think harnesses are safe on the street; god forbid that you actually roll over.

i've been tagged for having my 4pt sparcos... officer requested documentation prior to issuing me a ticket... also got tagged for my sparco corsa seat... said it wasn't "street legal"... oh... and on that helmet thing.. yeah... i got tagged for 'obstruction of view' when i wore it on the streets (dont ask)...

all of those were fought in court w/ documentation from sparco and shoei... judge felt that the safety of a helmet and harnesses w/ a racing seat seemed better than OEM stuff... but was not deemed legal by DOT... didn't get fined... but a slap on the wrist... for basically not being able to produce documentation on the various items in my car...

done