PDA

View Full Version : New Jic autocross set up

twotan
05-19-2005, 09:55 PM
I just got a new set up by JIC for my coilovers. It is their new autocross/street set up. It took alot of my understeering out of the car, it is more neutral and balanced. Which makes the car alot faster on the track. My turn in on the cars is better then stock. The ride is still very good on the street. I got different spring rates for the front and the rear with custom stock rates for the rear.

Thank you Jon@Jic for this great setup.

j_nizzle
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
should have muellerized them..........

leaveit2bevo
05-20-2005, 07:37 PM

lol priceless.

j_nizzle
05-20-2005, 10:59 PM

lol priceless.

yeah worth $2000 in laughs!

twotan
05-23-2005, 10:06 PM

What so special of the Mueller setup. Does any know what is the setup? Has any one driven a car with that setup. I would like to drive a car with that setup if any one would let me do so?

gofaster87
05-23-2005, 10:22 PM
His JIC setup is custom valved and has his spring rates put on according to your driving needs so there is quite a difference.

j_nizzle
05-23-2005, 11:12 PM

What so special of the Mueller setup. Does any know what is the setup? Has any one driven a car with that setup. I would like to drive a car with that setup if any one would let me do so?

wow you are a evo newbie for sure....anyways. a few guys on these boards have mueller jic's and they are very satisfied. many people on these boards including myself would definately get a muellerized set-up if the funds were available because it is definately worth it.

Knower
05-24-2005, 02:22 AM

Mueller sets up the cars he works on to ride and handle exactly like each individual owner likes it. Tavis, don't you know Glenn? I thought I met you once through Glenn at California Speedway. I'm sure Glenn could ask Mueller to take you for a spin in a Muellerized Evo.

earlyapex
05-24-2005, 09:28 AM
His JIC setup is custom valved

http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/giffar2/okey.gif

WavMixer
05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
The difference between regular JICs and Muellerized JICs are like the difference between purchasing a taylor made suit or picking one off of the rack.

Absinthe
05-24-2005, 09:50 AM

lol priceless.

No $2000 in laughs is when meuller decides JIC's are shitty and have poor support so he moves on to a better product.

GokuSSJ4
05-24-2005, 10:22 AM

lol priceless.

No $2000 in laughs is when meuller decides JIC's are shitty and have poor support so he moves on to a better product.
BAH!!! similar results tho, with better support.

WavMixer
05-24-2005, 10:58 AM
It's not the JICs that are shitty, they worked well after being Muellerized. The problem was with the support JIC provided. Buddy club knows how to treat their life blood and is willing to work with John to get us the product that we need.

Absinthe
05-24-2005, 11:12 AM
It's not the JICs that are shitty, they worked well after being Muellerized. The problem was with the support JIC provided. Buddy club knows how to treat their life blood and is willing to work with John to get us the product that we need.

check around, JIC has some issues, constant rebuilds, clunking, poor manufacturing tolerances.

I'm not being a dick its true and been a concern with non-Evo cars for a while esp. H badge guys and the subeie crew, what I dont know is if that due to the design for those cars or if its specific to thier total out of box range of coilovers.

GokuSSJ4
05-24-2005, 11:41 AM

check around, JIC has some issues, constant rebuilds, clunking, poor manufacturing tolerances.

I'm not being a dick its true and been a concern with non-Evo cars for a while esp. H badge guys and the subeie crew, what I dont know is if that due to the design for those cars or if its specific to thier total out of box range of coilovers.
I hate to admit it but Dave is right!
Several peeps like the H- badge and subie crew have had several bad experiences with the quality from JIC USA. Even once the suspension has been order with certain specs (not your off the shelve items) Now that we have John offering more options (at a great price for a tune suspension) people can get away from the quality that JIC offers. There are plenty of companies that offer superior quality and support than JIC. Like Buddy-club, Zeal’s, Ohlins, etc. have always showed great quality with there products and what makes it even better that John is able to get suspension to his specs and make them out perform the JIC's.

WavMixer
05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
When John was showing me the new Buddy Clubs, he did not mention quality problems with the JICs, just that Buddy Club was willing to work with him more so than JIC. But then again I know John does not tell me every detail about every decession he makes. Bottom line is that Road Race Chassis now has an even better product than before :D Glad I waited to get my suspension done. I wold have hated buying a set of JICs just to have them obsolted by the buddy clubs.

Justin1933
05-24-2005, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't say the JIC's are obsoleted...They seem to work just fine for me at the last EOC event...I won't be trading in my JIC's for buddy clubs, just because they are new....I am probably not a good enough driver to tell the difference....

WavMixer
05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't say the JIC's are obsoleted...They seem to work just fine for me at the last EOC event...I won't be trading in my JIC's for buddy clubs, just because they are new....I am probably not a good enough driver to tell the difference....Well at least you are a good enough driver not to center punch me when I spun out at SOW! ;)

Justin1933
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
lol...I was a bit nervous there..... :lol:

GokuSSJ4
05-24-2005, 01:34 PM
lol...I was a bit nervous there..... :lol:
that was a bit scary :shock:

Muellerized...
05-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't say the JIC's are obsoleted...

They are far from obselete, as we still carry/stock/service/race JICs. The key with any set-up choice is to match exactly what the customer is asking for with the best product fit for the situation. One of the major differences between JICs and the newer 'Buddyclub' derivative suspension is the JICs have a 90 day warranty, while the Buddyclub's have a 1 year warranty.

leaveit2bevo
05-24-2005, 04:38 PM
His JIC setup is custom valved

http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/giffar2/okey.gif

:?: :?:

gofaster87
05-24-2005, 05:40 PM
What are you talking about Beaver?

leaveit2bevo
05-24-2005, 09:02 PM
What are you talking about Beaver?

my question is what is he talking about?

Coolguy949
05-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't say the JIC's are obsoleted...

They are far from obselete, as we still carry/stock/service/race JICs. The key with any set-up choice is to match exactly what the customer is asking for with the best product fit for the situation. One of the major differences between JICs and the newer 'Buddyclub' derivative suspension is the JICs have a 90 day warranty, while the Buddyclub's have a 1 year warranty.

John,

How often do your JIC's need to be rebuilt?

Rob

Muellerized...
05-24-2005, 10:50 PM
How often do your JIC's need to be rebuilt?

Rob

Depends entirely on how they are set-up. I have sets that have run 5 years of street driving with 0 problems. I have sets that have run well over 7500 track miles with 0 problems. I have seen many sets that have destroyed themselves from abuse and/or improper set-up. A week will not go by without someone calling or emailing me a tale of problem JICs that were purchased from a dorm room or out of the trunk of a car in some back alley or from Honduh or sticker tuning shops.

Coolguy949
05-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, i'm only interested in your JIC's. My friend is selling his Evo and is passing the JIC's you installed to me. What are the signs that a rebuild is needed?

Howie
05-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah, i'm only interested in your JIC's. My friend is selling his Evo and is passing the JIC's you installed to me. What are the signs that a rebuild is needed?

Ya, I would be interested in finding out as well. My JIC's are going 20k miles strong!

genrec
05-25-2005, 10:56 AM
how much of a drop are you guys running...........1" or more?? is there a ideal drop for coilovers in the way that they perform???

GokuSSJ4
05-25-2005, 11:03 AM
how much of a drop are you guys running...........1" or more?? is there a ideal drop for coilovers in the way that they perform???
When i ask , how low or how much of a drop he uses on his set up.
The answer i receive was, what ever works best at the track :wink: I'm not going to limit the handleing that can be obtain just because i want to meet a certain look. Its what ever performs the best!

genrec
05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
The answer i receive was, what ever works best at the track :wink: I'm not going to limit the handleing that can be obtain just because i want to meet a certain look. Its what ever performs the best!

exactly, so would would be ideal for track/street usage.......forget looks, functionality wise, what drop performs best

RACE EVO
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
John @ JIC's set up. Streets of willow. Car weighed in at 3006 pounds. Full interior, completely streetable. 255 series yokohama's (John's pick).. First time driving the track. Car is a daily driver 43 miles on way.

BEST TIME 1.24.88. Enough said. Have John at JIC set you up, you will know the difference.

Peace.

Justin1933
05-25-2005, 11:43 AM
1:24.888....That is an amazing time...What else was done to your car? What direction? With Bowl?

nice....

GokuSSJ4
05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
John @ JIC's set up. Streets of willow. Car weighed in at 3006 pounds. Full interior, completely streetable. 255 series yokohama's (John's pick).. First time driving the track. Car is a daily driver 43 miles on way.

BEST TIME 1.24.88. Enough said. Have John at JIC set you up, you will know the difference.

Peace.
theres a huge different with what configuration you are running when listing times. Please give us a bit more of information. was it CCW or CW and with the bowl or with out the bowl.
Since John@RRC has manage 1:25's (Last EOC Event with hot weather and some testing being done he manage 1:27's CCW w/bowl
Robi has manage about 1.24's CW w/ bowl (we all know that his car is far from being a daily driver)

leaveit2bevo
05-25-2005, 07:13 PM

my favorite was when I asked him how much camber kent had on his car, he said all of it.

GokuSSJ4
05-25-2005, 07:18 PM
thats what you need !! so DO IT !! maybe next time you can keep up :mrgreen:

leaveit2bevo
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
thats what you need !! so DO IT !! maybe next time you can keep up :mrgreen:

thats funny I didnt see you pass me :P

RACE EVO
05-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi GokuSSJ4 can you please show me the times where Robi ran 1.24 with bowl.

gofaster87
05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
And seeing a written report of Robi's times is going to do what for you? I seriously doubt someone pulled a 1:24 the first time out there running the bowl as you say John at JIC did.

Absinthe
05-25-2005, 09:10 PM
And this is going to prove what?

I think he is curious of the course and no write de english so good

gofaster87
05-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Every time I see that green pic of Mark in your avitar I just want to laugh.

Absinthe
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Every time I see that green pic of Mark in your avitar I just want to laugh.

big thanks goes out to Jan Solo on that one

leaveit2bevo
05-26-2005, 01:39 AM
how does that car only weight 3006 with full interior?

Tarmac02
05-26-2005, 10:10 AM
all of the body panels removed

GokuSSJ4
05-26-2005, 11:28 AM
He was able to accomplish those times when we had the EOC/Evo shoot out (Decemeber)
here you go:
http://speedventures.net/event_results_db.asp?
here are some of the best times from the event
CW w/ the bowl

SV Challenge Series Overall Results
12/4/2004 - SOWS

*2 *1 *10 * gt40 * *01:25.210* 76.05 *Mitsubitshi *Evolution *2003 *

*3 *1 *10 * evo4fun * *01:24.332 *76.84 *Mitsubishi *Lancer

*4 *1 *10 * jordan * *01:25.200 *76.06 *mitsu *evo

SlowFWD
05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
The difference between regular JICs and Muellerized JICs are like the difference between purchasing a taylor made suit or picking one off of the rack.

So what would be the difference between Muellerized JIC's and ones set up from John @ JIC himself?

JWest
05-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Difference?

Um... Spring rates & length, valve settings, in some cases damper length, and ride height. All the things that make adjustable coil-overs worth the $$$. Muellerized JIC's are tuned for each customer, their car, and what it is used for. I'd go on but the info is out there. "search" is your friend.

Also:

John Mueller = RRE chassis work / RRC / Muellerized / etc.

John K. = JIC USA

Just to help you keep your Johns straight :)

JW <- not a John or a Justin

SlowFWD
05-28-2005, 02:48 AM
So just to keep our Johns straight. If John K works for JIC USA and he sets up the suspension personally with custom valve settings new spring rates and ride height wouldn't that be just as good as a Mullerized setup?

What makes Mullerized that much better than the person who only deals with JIC Coilovers and nothing else?

Blak94GSX
05-28-2005, 02:57 AM
They both use the same tools, but they have very different views on what the proper settings are.

If you are happy with how the car performs then that is all that matters. Being happy with the car doesn't mean it is fast on the track though.

Muellerized...
05-28-2005, 01:52 PM
What makes Muellerized that much better than the person who only deals with JIC Coilovers and nothing else?

I have significantly more test time on road circuits with _EVOs_ than anyone in the USA, including Jon at JIC-USA.

Last year we spent 44 days at west coast road racing circuits developing our products. The cars we directly supported were the best handling EVOs for Sport Compact Cars EVO Orgy, winners of the Open Track Challenge, winner for the 2nd consecutive year for the SCC Ultimate Street Car Challenge Road Course event, fastest EVOs at every Evolution Owner's Club meet ever held, and in our spare time we took the top 6 positions at the EVOm Tuner Time Attack, using 3 different brands of suspension and 5 different spring combinations for the EVOm event alone..

Our focus on building fast Mitsubishis for many years gives our team of people much more experience in getting the most out of a particular car/driver combination, and we continue to support the EVO community with our ongoing relentless research and development of the EVO platform. I use Motec data aquisition to get the most out of our flagship EVO racing program, which is leading the San Francisco Region SCCA ITE points championship in 2005 with Kent Jordan driving.

Knower
05-28-2005, 03:09 PM
What makes Muellerized that much better than the person who only deals with JIC Coilovers and nothing else?

I have significantly more test time on road circuits with _EVOs_ than anyone in the USA, including Jon at JIC-USA.

Last year we spent 44 days at west coast road racing circuits developing our products. The cars we directly supported were the best handling EVOs for Sport Compact Cars EVO Orgy, winners of the Open Track Challenge, winner for the 2nd consecutive year for the SCC Ultimate Street Car Challenge Road Course event, fastest EVOs at every Evolution Owner's Club meet ever held, and in our spare time we took the top 6 positions at the EVOm Tuner Time Attack, using 3 different brands of suspension and 5 different spring combinations for the EVOm event alone..

Our focus on building fast Mitsubishis for many years gives our team of people much more experience in getting the most out of a particular car/driver combination, and we continue to support the EVO community with our ongoing relentless research and development of the EVO platform. I use Motec data aquisition to get the most out of our flagship EVO racing program, which is leading the San Francisco Region SCCA ITE points championship in 2005 with Kent Jordan driving.

You missed the most important part. Dale!

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album317/dale.jpg

GokuSSJ4
05-28-2005, 08:02 PM
GO DALE!!!

RACE EVO
05-28-2005, 09:47 PM
It seriously ticks me off when people decide to talk smack. JON AT JIC SET UP MY EVO, I had a stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock bushing, stock sway bar, stock interior with AC. Car dyno's at 284 wheel HP with. My Dumb piece of crap stock car ran 1:55.89 on the 26th with H compound Advans. Also first time any one drove the track. Come on guys, Road Race is a great company, but JIC is a manufacturer. Jon at JIC actually ran the JGTC and several other events. I have seen him work, used his set up. Just because he does not say any thing does not mean any thing. JON K is the shit as far as I am concerned. I will never let any one else touch my car when it comes to chassis. For those of you who wonder if I know as to what the freak I speak off, than I have been in this business for a while and I mean 10 plus years. I my self can not even call my self a mechanic after working with JON K for 3 days. The guys is an artist, not a mere "tuner". So instead of listening to just one side, do your home work and than you be the judge. Also for those of you who keep complaining about problems with JIC please PM me and I will personaly help you resolve any issue you may have. Also, no, I DO NOT WORK FOR JIC. They really are a great company and if you can get JON to work on your car, you will know why I am such a big fan.

Sorry If I am being harsh, I am just being honest and a little tired of the BS rumors. We are not school girls people, we are men, let's investigate on our own before we start making accusations or forming opinions.

Absinthe
05-28-2005, 11:30 PM
It seriously ticks me off when people decide to talk smack. JON AT JIC SET UP MY EVO, I had a stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock bushing, stock sway bar, stock interior with AC. Car dyno's at 284 wheel HP with. My Dumb piece of crap stock car ran 1:55.89 on the 26th with H compound Advans. Also first time any one drove the track. Come on guys, Road Race is a great company, but JIC is a manufacturer. Jon at JIC actually ran the JGTC and several other events. I have seen him work, used his set up. Just because he does not say any thing does not mean any thing. JON K is the shit as far as I am concerned. I will never let any one else touch my car when it comes to chassis. For those of you who wonder if I know as to what the freak I speak off, than I have been in this business for a while and I mean 10 plus years. I my self can not even call my self a mechanic after working with JON K for 3 days. The guys is an artist, not a mere "tuner". So instead of listening to just one side, do your home work and than you be the judge. Also for those of you who keep complaining about problems with JIC please PM me and I will personaly help you resolve any issue you may have. Also, no, I DO NOT WORK FOR JIC. They really are a great company and if you can get JON to work on your car, you will know why I am such a big fan.

Sorry If I am being harsh, I am just being honest and a little tired of the BS rumors. We are not school girls people, we are men, let's investigate on our own before we start making accusations or forming opinions.

welcome to socalevo dont take these guys to seriously if you listen to them Meuller is the ONLY person in the world who can tune a coil-over. I appreciate and know what your saying but you are wasting your breathe with many people here, half of them dont even own the shit they spout off about.

Clearly no offense meant to Jon and I would certainly pay him to set up my car becuae he knows his shit. But honestly he isn't the only one who can do this stuff for auto-enthusiasts.

GokuSSJ4
05-31-2005, 11:19 AM

Your car ran 1:55's at what track???? Can you please give us a bit more information (since running 1:55's at different tracks can mean something else)
Also the same way that you feel regarding Jon K @ JIC is the same way that several Evo owners feel about John@RRC, he has been a help to the evo community with his knowledge and continues to R & D on how to improve or seek new ways to go even faster at the track. Kent and Mueller continue to race at different tracks and they're always searching on what new things can be improved and what works and what doesn't.
Regarding JIC and there quality, you need to search and read some of the incidents that have been posted or have happen to different peeps not just among evo owners. Several peeps are unhappy with JIC USA and will never go back to such manufacture. Some are unhappy not with just JIC qualities but also their customer service and the lack of knowledge when it comes to providing a custom set up and not your typical of the shelf items. Not saying that Jon K@ JIC doesn't have any knowledge but other peeps don't feel like they can trust JIC USA with a customize suspension or the quality behind it. One of the reason why different people choose to go with different manufactures like: Ohlins, Zeals, Buddyclub, etc....

RACE EVO
05-31-2005, 12:18 PM
1:55 89 at Fontana on grand am course, running CCW with speed ventures on Friday the 27th of May. As far as JIC's customer service is concerned, any one of you have ever directly spoken with either Jon himself or Ben? if you have than you would find the notion " their lack of knowledge in custom setup" rather absurd and childish. Also how many of the people who have bought the JIC's direct? secondly how many of these people actually have used these as directed. Coilovers after being modified for track use are not a toy. You as the user must follow directions if you want to hold some one else responsible for quality issues. I have a road race set up on my car right this moment, if I decide to commute every day on this set up and than they blow it , will it by my fault or a " poor construction by JIC". It is very easy to point fingers and jump on a band wagon. Like I said before do your "own" research, instead of sitting there and arguing with me you can ask for a ride in my car on a track. Sit in it once and than you can comment to your hearts content.

If any one is wondering why I am such a supporter of JIC? I have been in the after markets parts business for 10 years. I know every one in this industry that is some one. No other company owners take so much pride in their product as much Jon K does. He will bend over backwards to correct any issue that may arise with end user. So please if you have a problem or any concern with JIC that your retailer can not resolve, than please contact me and I will help you.

cheers
Sam

leaveit2bevo
05-31-2005, 12:27 PM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=59226&highlight=jic+problems

GokuSSJ4
05-31-2005, 01:01 PM
just to let you know that i'm not bashing on JIC's, i do have JICs set up by John Mueller and love them. Had them for near a year with several track days and have had absolutly no problems what so ever. Keep in mind that not everyone feels the same about JIC's and do question them for several incidents that have happen while using such suspension.

RACE EVO
05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi,

I read all the complaints and I could derive an opinion based on what 4 other people said. DC5 suspensions have a problem, that is why a lot of companies stay away from dc5 suspension. My offer still stands, if you guys have any current or pending issues, please allow me to help. This does not make me any money, but I will stand by JIC regardless. So I can understand and sympathize with you guys, but unless you allow me or any other dealer an opportunity to help, I just do not see the point of endless accusations and rather rude exchanges.

Sammy
209 477 7794

Muellerized...
05-31-2005, 01:39 PM
1:55 89 at Fontana on grand am course,

That is a good time for a stock EVO on that course. Good job.

Chris in SD
05-31-2005, 01:45 PM
John (Mueller, that is), will you set up Ohlins on an S2000? I know it's a Hon-DUH, but if it makes it better, I had an Evo until I got wrecked...

RACE EVO
05-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Thank you sir. Much credit again to Jon Kaneda at JIC.

Muellerized...
05-31-2005, 02:31 PM
John (Mueller, that is), will you set up Ohlins on an S2000? I know it's a Hon-DUH, but if it makes it better, I had an Evo until I got wrecked...

Yes, email me off-line.

Muellerized...
05-31-2005, 02:39 PM

Stock EVO means stock _suspension_ and stock engine.

Justin1933
05-31-2005, 02:49 PM
:lol: :oops:

Chris in SD
05-31-2005, 06:44 PM

Yes, email me off-line.

E-mail sent. :skid:

leaveit2bevo
05-31-2005, 10:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNED

GokuSSJ4
06-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi,

I read all the complaints and I could derive an opinion based on what 4 other people said. DC5 suspensions have a problem, that is why a lot of companies stay away from dc5 suspension. My offer still stands, if you guys have any current or pending issues, please allow me to help. This does not make me any money, but I will stand by JIC regardless. So I can understand and sympathize with you guys, but unless you allow me or any other dealer an opportunity to help, I just do not see the point of endless accusations and rather rude exchanges.

Sammy
209 477 7794
I wish you would take your offer as well and extended to www.honda-tech.com especially for the DC2 section that they have. Several of them have had terrible experience, and i'm sure they would love to hear this from you. Last time i try saying anything good about JIC's (when i had barly purchase them) i was burned and almost stonned LOL. overall, glad that you are happy with them. I'm very happy with what i have and don't plan to change suspensions any time soon :wink: hmmmm....

Absinthe
06-01-2005, 10:05 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNED

Yeah but seriously times are so driver dependant, I mean there is some one around here who turned 1.58 at laguna on RRE Jic's and Ra-1's. thats not even a good time for stock suspension on that course, I should know thats what I turn and I can vouch for my slowness.

Muellerized...
06-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah but seriously times are so driver dependant, I mean there is some one around here who turned 1.58 at laguna on RRE Jic's and Ra-1's. thats not even a good time for stock suspension on that course, I should know thats what I turn and I can vouch for my slowness.

Most cars feel really good on the race course if you are driving slower laptimes, as it is difficult to have an accurate view on chassis performance if your laptimes are seconds a lap slow. Track days are all about driving a car that you intend to drive home in at faster than legal speeds in the relatively safe environment of the race course. Some people are more into having a good track day expereience than setting lap record times. Personally I wish the groups that run these events not keep lap time data, especially for the novices, as people get their learning curve all screwed up trying too hard behind the wheel before they even know where the race track goes. As far as Laguna times in an EVO,
I ran 1:46.7 in my stock EVO at Laguna in Jan, with the complete stock exhaust including the catalytic converter installed to meet the sound requirements for the day.

Laptime info is located here:
http://www.speedventures.net/event_results.asp
SV Challenge Series Overall Results
1/21/2005 - Laguna Seca

6 1 10 Thing 2 01:46.786 75.45 Mitsubishi EVO 2003

GokuSSJ4
06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
:shock: