PDA

View Full Version : I (HEART) Cusco

genrec
05-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Now that your here, you can read my quick mini review on the Cusco Zero 2R's along with a Cusco rear sway that were installed on my 05 gsr today. I did alot of research and asked alot of questions, and bugged alot of people. of course i was told, time and time again go
get "muellerized"....well being a newbie to the evoworld i went against the grain.

I have nothing to compare these to except a set of apex-i n1 v-type coilovers that were on my wrx......and these cuscos blow those away 10 fold. I am super happy with them so far, they are way more comfy than the stock ride. Every little bump that i hit on the street or freeway that i would usually brace for, felt like it was no longer there, these coilovers took everything and soaked it up. I basically got what i want and was looking for out of a daily driver coilover. Everyone drives these cars for their own reasons, and does mods for their own reasons as well, i know all the haters will come out now and dog me, and i DON'T care.......you can bite me!! :D

Anyway i highly recommend these coilovers to someone that is in the direction of more of a daily driver, i can probably honestly say that they wont be the fastest at the track, but that wasn't my goal. However, i can't wait to get out there and see what they are capable of! See you at the next track day.

peace y'all!

EVOate909
05-26-2005, 12:06 AM
congrats.... must be a nite and day difference compared to stock

Knower
05-26-2005, 04:03 AM
Now that your here, you can read my quick mini review on the Cusco Zero 2R's along with a Cusco rear sway that were installed on my 05 gsr today. I did alot of research and asked alot of questions, and bugged alot of people. of course i was told, time and time again go
get "muellerized"....well being a newbie to the evoworld i went against the grain.

I have nothing to compare these to except a set of apex-i n1 v-type coilovers that were on my wrx......and these cuscos blow those away 10 fold. I am super happy with them so far, they are way more comfy than the stock ride. Every little bump that i hit on the street or freeway that i would usually brace for, felt like it was no longer there, these coilovers took everything and soaked it up. I basically got what i want and was looking for out of a daily driver coilover. Everyone drives these cars for their own reasons, and does mods for their own reasons as well, i know all the haters will come out now and dog me, and i DON'T care.......you can bite me!! :D

Anyway i highly recommend these coilovers to someone that is in the direction of more of a daily driver, i can probably honestly say that they wont be the fastest at the track, but that wasn't my goal. However, i can't wait to get out there and see what they are capable of! See you at the next track day.

peace y'all!

Yep, sounds like you got exactly what you wanted. Mueller doesn't generally do "cadillac." If you ever want to compare ride quality, tama_mog is going to the next EOC event so you should ask him for a ride. I believe he has the exact same Cuscos except Mueller has worked on his car's handling.

Chris in SD
05-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I wasn't going to do the JICs either, so don't feel bad. However, there is nothing wrong with having Mueller set up your suspension.

rubelcon
05-26-2005, 08:04 AM
You are welcome Jeff.

genrec
05-26-2005, 08:31 AM
On the way to work this morning on my 35 mile drive i got to play around with them a bit........there is definately alot less body roll, i got some 110mph sprints in and the car was very stable at higher speeds...

tama-mogs are different than mine, i spoke with him about his, he has the zero2, mine are the zero2R, they have the inverted strut up front, and in doing my reading i beleive they are manufactured by SHOWA in japan, they build very hight quality shocks, im not sure if all the cuscos are produced by them, but the zero2R's definately are.

I say im totally happy with them on the street and the real test to them is when i hit up the next track day..........we'll see how far i am behind the rest of the crowd 8) ,

I am getting my alignment done by a shop called Clarks House of Suspension in lake Forest. This guy has done my wrx, and STi, and numerous lifted trucks of mine, he does a great job, i know he has done evo's as well.........does anyone have any recommended specs for me, something more street oriented that won't CHEW up my stock advans, but yet a lillte more aggressive than stock!

Thanks

Tarmac02
05-26-2005, 10:05 AM
nope... because the stock settings chew up advans... if you want tires that'll last get a second set of wheels and some daily driver tires, save the tender meat for when you're gonna use it

genrec
05-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Ok peeps, recommend me a chill, yet street aggressive spec......

like a negative 1???

Tarmac02
05-26-2005, 10:24 AM
actually there's a half decent writeup in the new SCC about suspension settings...

for the front I believe it says -1.5 for an aggressive street setup and -2 for occasional track use... a lot more though... maybe you should check out the article

GokuSSJ4
05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
I will never understand when people purchase coil overs to have a softer ride (cadillac style) IMO thats one of the first things i notice when i purchase the Evo (an Love it!!) was the ride quality. Glad that you are happy with your set up, hope you can get some good times at the track.

genrec
05-26-2005, 11:09 AM
i don't know where i wrote cadillac....i wrote comfy......maybe wrong choice of words, i'd say they are more stiff than stock, but yet comfy, because in my mind, i intended them on being worse than they are ecause of my bad experiece with the apex-i's...far from a cadillac......they just soak up everything so much better than stock, i called them comfy.....i'll use a better choice of words next time!

Chris in SD
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I will never understand when people purchase coil overs to have a softer ride (cadillac style)

I will never understand why people equate a rock-hard ride with being "good". Body/damper control is MUCH more important. If you have a rock-hard suspension setup, sure you'll roll less, but in high-frequency bumps, you'll lose all traction, AWD or not.

I much prefer having relatively soft springs with firm dampers. This is where the quality of the damper and its construction (remote reservoir, etc.) come into play. The soft springs will keep the ride bearable, while the good damping will control body movements. If you ever ride in a Bilstein or Ohlins suspended car, you'll instantly understand. Finally, too many of the popular coilovers don't have enough stroke and bottom out at the end of the stroke, ruining all chance of a good ride.

Enough said...

GokuSSJ4
05-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Funny thing, the Bilstein suspension from the MR is soft (when compare to the 03) but far away from soft compare to other cars. I understand that you want comfort, IMO it's time for a BMW :wink:

Chris in SD
05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
IMO it's time for a BMW :wink:

Just because I like a good ride doesn't mean I am gay or a complete asshole. :wink:

tama_mog
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah genec has the inverted struts....which really makes no sense on the street since the pt of having inverted struts I thought is resisting side loads.....AKA going sideways. But yeah they are identical otherwise.

GokuSSJ4
05-26-2005, 12:16 PM
IMO it's time for a BMW :wink:

Just because I like a good ride doesn't mean I am gay or a complete asshole. :wink:
ROFL ahh common Chris

leaveit2bevo
05-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Funny thing, the Bilstein suspension from the MR is soft (when compare to the 03) but far away from soft compare to other cars. I understand that you want comfort, IMO it's time for a BMW :wink:

the bilsteins lost time in the slolam because of the softer suspension and feel floatier. My buddyclubs absorb shock much better than stock but are still stiff as hell and I wouldnt want it any other way :D

Chris in SD
05-26-2005, 08:47 PM

the bilsteins lost time in the slolam because of the softer suspension and feel floatier. My buddyclubs absorb shock much better than stock but are still stiff as hell and I wouldnt want it any other way :D

Sam - This is what I'm talking about. If your suspension is stiff without sacrificing proper stroke and damping, then you are getting your cake and eating it, too. I just hate when people think a "good" suspension has to be rock hard with 700 lb/in springs...

trinydex
05-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I will never understand when people purchase coil overs to have a softer ride (cadillac style) IMO thats one of the first things i notice when i purchase the Evo (an Love it!!) was the ride quality. Glad that you are happy with your set up, hope you can get some good times at the track.

dude... what are you talkin' about... yer jics are damped better than stock... bevo and scot's buddyclubs are too...

stock suspension is always the same philosophy... our spring rates are enough so let's put some real boomsticks in there to amke it a lil stiffer.

Yeah genec has the inverted struts....which really makes no sense on the street since the pt of having inverted struts I thought is resisting side loads.....AKA going sideways. But yeah they are identical otherwise.

who told you that?

zeal always advertises their inverted struts are to keep the brake heat away from the gases inside the strut as to not change the dampening characteristics.

genrec
05-31-2005, 01:52 PM
just a quick update over the weekend....i hit up some canyons and twisties i won't mention.....now i have nothing to compare to but stock, but i was super impressed, the car felt like it was on rails, i took corners at a much quicker rate then i usually took them stock, bodyroll was gone......anyway im happy, and they were the $$ to me!

tama_mog
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
"zeal always advertises their inverted struts are to keep the brake heat away from the gases inside the strut as to not change the dampening characteristics."

This is true also....but how hot do you get your struts on the streets? -_-

trinydex
05-31-2005, 07:40 PM
how much do you need inverted struts on the streets?

i was just sayin' what i said cuz i believe that is the function of inverting the struts. dunno about side load...... cuz all highend suspensions are inverted. not just some for specific applications

genrec
05-31-2005, 07:57 PM
from all my sources and past knowledge i always thought inverted design was a better design......i thought all highend coilovers/cars ran this setup :? what do i know.......isnt even the stock KYB suspension and MR suspension an inverted design?? if so why would one want to go backwards to a non inverted design...im a newb, i could be wrong..

trinydex
05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
it's just one of those things where you might as well get it cuz yer already payin' for it... but you reallywould have to be doin serious stuff for there to be a necessity... and serious stuff is closer than you think with most evo drivers...

tama_mog
06-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Bottom line is, you are correct in what you said if that's what you're looking for. Also I myself like the cusco coilovers as well, they absorb the shock well on the road, ride way better than stock suspension and have taken care of everything I've thrown @ it. But the RRC setups are more track oriented that's for sure.

CT9A RS
06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
i dont know what gokus talking about his car feels like a cadillac too. Real smooth soft comfy ride sliding around turns lol.

Now to bring up my 16kfront 14krear springs on my tein HAs on my s13 that was a stiff ride lol.

But like sdchris was saying i did have issues on spirited driving on public roads the car was stiff to the point where at a good speed if i encountered a bump in the road my car would literally lift off the ground for a split second which would kick out the rear often cuz of the power i was putting down but the front was always pretty stable probably because i was oversteering all the time lol.

i want a good 12 and 10 for the evo with a relatively agressive damper. but thats me.

MrHeeltoe
07-21-2005, 09:12 AM

Inverted struts are stronger and resist bending, is what they mean. They don't take corners all that different than regular shocks. But the twisting and turning of shitty ass MacPherson front ends means there is a lot of load on the shock shafts and dampers....going monotube makes them a lot stronger. That is the point behind doing the inverted damper.

And I road in Jeff's car. I would not classify the ride as soft at all! But, it is comfortable. While being firm, the car does not crash or slam over road irregularities. You can definately tell that these dampers are quality units.

Whether or not they were specifically tuned and jizzed in by a prefessional tuner if still in debate. They do handle and ride great though. J00 g3tz wot jo0 paiz 4!