PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Smog Stations

Blaze
06-05-2005, 01:17 PM
The other night I heard that Rolling Smog Stations were becoming more active in my local community.

For anyone who doesn't know what these are, they basically a portable smog station manned by your local PD and an official from BAR (bureau of automotive repair). They'll randomly pull over cars (and by random I mean profiling anyone who looks modified) and perform and on the spot vehicle inspection/smog. The whole operation is run like a speed trap, only they can pull over several cars at once and make them wait in line....

I don't know much more about these, but I'd like to.

Does anyone know if the PD is required to post where/when these stations will be (similar to a check point). Also what are the consequences to getting caught here? I assume they'd be fairly standard, but aside from tickets, are they prone to tows/impounds?

Thanks,

Blaze

Blaze
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Bureau of Automotive Repair Brings Mobile Smog Check Services to Consumers
National Consumer Protection Week

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 7, 2003

The Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR), is rolling out its one-of-a-kind Smog Check bus. The bus, a mobile Referee station, is designed to bring Smog Check services to California consumers who live in areas that don't have regional BAR Referee stations near them.

BAR Referee stations are special vehicle emissions test facilities that allow motorists with special Smog Check concerns that can't be addressed by a licensed Smog Check station. Referee stations issue Smog Check repair cost waivers and extensions, certify specially constructed vehicles, and certify vehicles with engine changes.

"Our new mobile Referee bus brings our Smog Check assistance services to areas that don't have permanent Referee stations," said BAR Acting Chief Patrick Dorais. "We want to make our Smog Check referee services easy and convenient for all California motorists."

The bus comes equipped with a dynomometer (a treadmill-like device for vehicles that simulates actual driving conditions), state-of-the-art test equipment, and computers that can print various automotive documents. It even has a waiting room for vehicle owners. An attached hydraulic crane lifts the dynomometer out of and adjacent to the bus so that a vehicle can be tested.

The bus will be sent to areas that BAR identifies as needing Referee services. BAR will pre-schedule appointments for vehicle owners so they can get fast, efficient Smog Check service.

The mobile Referee bus will also be used at community outreach events and fairs to provide information to consumers about the various BAR programs and services.

The Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) promotes and protects the interests of California consumers. Within DCA, BAR registers and regulates approximately 35,000 California automotive repair facilities, and licenses Smog Check, Lamp and Brake inspection stations and technicians.

BAR representatives handle about 25,000 consumer complaints each year. During the 2001/2002 Fiscal Year, BAR negotiated $5.3 million worth of refunds, rework, or adjustments from auto repair shops on behalf of consumers. Consumers who have a problem with an auto repair facility can file a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair by calling 1-800-952-5210. Consumers can also file complaints online at www.autorepair.ca.gov.

rammsteinmatt
06-05-2005, 01:38 PM
The whole operation is run like a speed trap, only they can pull over several cars at once and make them wait in line....

like the whole meet #16 group, dang that would suck

hmm, ill ask a cop friend and see if i can find out more

Macky
06-05-2005, 03:27 PM
"We want to make our Smog Check referee services easy and convenient for all California motorists."

yea, id like to see them pull over one of those harley bikers and tell them to smog their bike.

personally thats just an excuse to profile the imports. betcha they will pull over more imports than domestics.

santhology
06-05-2005, 04:13 PM
yea, id like to see them pull over one of those harley bikers and tell them to smog their bike.

personally thats just an excuse to profile the imports. betcha they will pull over more imports than domestics.

Pretty much... i hate that..

gofaster87
06-05-2005, 04:18 PM
California is out of control. Its no place to live if youre an auto enthusiast or environment killer.

bonestockevo8
06-05-2005, 04:34 PM
"We want to make our Smog Check referee services easy and convenient for all California motorists."

personally thats just an excuse to profile the imports. betcha they will pull over more imports than domestics. Yeah, they definitely need to pull over some of the bikes and big trucks that shoot out black smoke screen a la spy hunter style.

Chris in SD
06-05-2005, 04:36 PM
California is out of control. Its no place to live if youre a auto enthusiast or environment killer.

I agree, Sam, that's why I'm raping this state for big paychecks until I've got enough saved to jump ship and move to Costa Rica. Can you say Evo V and gravel roads 24/7?

Macky
06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Can you say Evo V and gravel roads 24/7?

here here, expect the gravel roads. maybe tarmac 8)

STFU Tuning
06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
California is out of control. Its no place to live if youre a auto enthusiast or environment killer.

I agree, Sam, that's why I'm raping this state for big paychecks until I've got enough saved to jump ship and move to Costa Rica. Can you say Evo V and gravel roads 24/7?

I wanna go!

airforce1
06-05-2005, 05:37 PM
hmm...it is not a checkpoint as it was described. If you read carefully, you need to schedule an appt so that the Bus will come into your neighborheed to get it smogged. They are mainly addressing the lack of smog stations in any neighborhood, not as an excuse to pull over cars.

gevo
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I think their smog dyno is only 2 wheel drive.

rino
06-06-2005, 01:13 AM
I think their smog dyno is only 2 wheel drive.

oh i hope so!

Blak94GSX
06-06-2005, 01:50 AM
The article about the BAR inspection bus is something different from the roadside smog checkpoints.

The roadside smog checkpoints are controlled by law enforcement with BAR and CARB personnel. I have seen a couple of these on the roads and fortunately have managed to avoid them so far.

They have 2 separate types of checkpoints.

In some places, usually freeway on-ramps at the HOV stoplights, they use LASERs to do a quick check of every car that drives by. These are usually automated and use a video camera to capture the front and rear of every vehicle, then the results are later processed and a letter referring the vehicle to a smog ref is sent out for vehicles found to have high emissions.

The other type of checkpoint is a roadside dyno usually on the back of a truck with ramps. They "randomly" select vehicles to be tested and will queue them up 2-3 at a time. The dynos I have seen so far are all 2wd, and they do the 2 speed tests (idle and 2500 RPM) on AWD cars, with a quick check of the OBDII smog codes in the ECU. They have no way of testing the ECU itself, other than making sure the ECU is happy with the smog sensors and each of the smog equipment checks have been done by the ECU. Lastly they do a visual check and 4 gas analyzer sniff test.

The legality of each is questionable, but as yet largely untested.

All of this "random" testing costs the state (AKA you and me the taxpayers) a LOT of money that they could be spending on widening the freeways, cleaning up the ghettos, and improving schools... This is yet another example of what happens when you have an overwhelmingly liberal majority in the state congress...

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2005, 09:32 AM

Last time i check, motorcycles do not required smog checks. Reason why i believe they get away with the things they do.
Also most if not all smog stations have 2wd dynos, so making sure you are able to pass the gas analyzer sniff test would be my only concern along with visual inspection. Even a modify car properly tune can pass those 2, on visual the main thing to worry about is if you have an intake (since they can make up a big deal about it) and all your required smog equipment. most of the mods for the Evo you can not really see (for the most part)

raph
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I just saw a mobile smog dyno here in Hacienda Heights. Specifically on Colima and Azusa. They are randomly pulling over cars and testing them to see if they are smog legal. A friend of mine told me cops are cracking down on smog this whole month. Drive carefully in your Evo's.

xEviLxVIIIx
05-03-2006, 06:27 PM
I just saw a mobile smog dyno here in Hacienda Heights. Specifically on Colima and Azusa. They are randomly pulling over cars and testing them to see if they are smog legal. A friend of mine told me cops are cracking down on smog this whole month. Drive carefully in your Evo's.

damn, good thing im driving my bone stock beater civic cuz of gas prices

Richard EVO
05-04-2006, 01:13 PM
I have never seen one of these roadside stop smog testers. A new car has to get smog tested after it is 6 years old and every 2 years after that. Or when it is sold. I don't know what the legal basis for stopping motorists to do additional checks. It's not like they can just walk up to you on the street and search your pockets if they don't have probable cause. I guess maybe driving an EVO is probable cause. :knuppel2: :police: :knuppel2:

ChrisF
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Richard: Haven't you seen the videos where the SD anti-street-racing squad basically teaches officers how to create probable cause for underhood searches? Wait, aren't you a lawyer? :D

Richard EVO
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Richard: Haven't you seen the videos where the SD anti-street-racing squad basically teaches officers how to create probable cause for underhood searches? Wait, aren't you a lawyer? :D

Yes I'm a lawyer, no I haven't seen the video. Post a linky?

ChrisF
05-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Just searched for it on youtube.com and found that it had been removed due to copyright infringement. Guess someone pissed off the SD PD. I'll see if I can't find it. It's pretty evil.

Chris in SD
05-04-2006, 07:24 PM
I've seen the flipbook that has pics of stock engine bays for Civics, Evos, Preludes, Mustangs, Accords, WRXs, etc. etc. Most of the cars are in the $20K-$30K range and mostly imports...

Enyth
05-05-2006, 01:53 AM
this makes me even more want to move out of cali.. >:(

bd307
05-05-2006, 09:25 AM

Yes, I saw the same station too at the same location. It is on Colima pass Azusa going into Hacienda Heights direction. I was driving in the opposite direction seeing a "dyno-machine" and there are cops over there and I was thinking what is going on.

Anyway, I think it is a 2-wheel machine.

Dr.Sound
05-05-2006, 09:44 AM
they are all made for 2-wheel-drive cars.
we shouldnt worry.....

sort of looks like a portable dyno.

xEviLxVIIIx
05-05-2006, 09:50 AM
they are all made for 2-wheel-drive cars.
we shouldnt worry.....

sort of looks like a portable dyno.

there arent any 4 wheel smog dynos. they test all wheel drive cars at idle and 2500rpm. so its even easier for them to test our cars.

raph
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM
They don't need to put AWD cars on the dyno. They just put a sniffer near your exhaust.

gen4k20a2
05-05-2006, 11:40 AM
ya i thought the car has to be under a load

xEviLxVIIIx
05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
yeah, they are supposed to be under load but the states havent required the stations to have all wheel drive dynos, also the percentage of AWD car are very low, thats why they just run whats a called the two speed idle test (test emmissions at idle and 2500rpm.) But dont be surprised if in the future the state does require AWD dynos at all smog stations. Id rather go under load on a smog test anyway because its easier to pass.