PDA

View Full Version : Mueller's Suspension Set Up and Wheel + Tire Fitment

ericomundo
06-06-2005, 12:22 PM
With either RRE's JIC or Buddy Club track suspension set up, will 255/40/17 tires on Enkei RPF1 17x8.5 40 offset wheels fit without fender modification?

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2005, 12:51 PM
depending how much negative camber you receive. For the most part you shouldn't have any problems. I was able to clear 255/40/17's on a 17x8.5 + 40 off set without any fender rolling. I decided to roll the rear fenders just to be in the safe side.

Mulholland
06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I have been in the market for a coil setup, what should I pay if I go Buddyclub from RRE?...Or should I head up to Works and pay the extra couple bucks for Ohlins or Zeal?

(not intended to hijack)

thetaxguy
06-10-2005, 12:54 AM
I have been in the market for a coil setup, what should I pay if I go Buddyclub from RRE?...Or should I head up to Works and pay the extra couple bucks for Ohlins or Zeal?

(not intended to hijack)
:bs: :lol:

Blak94GSX
06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
I think the Road Race spec Buddyclub setup is ~$2400 installed. You would need to call them for more info. They carry JIC, DMS, Bilstein, and Ohlin also, but the pricing on those varies depending on what you want to do with the car.

Pretty much they "interview" (some would say "interrogate") you, to try and figure out what you really want the car to do (are you really serious about trying to kill yourself in the canyons, or take on Fernando Alonso at the road course, or are you just another grocery getting poser) then recommend a setup to achieve that...

leaveit2bevo
06-10-2005, 08:30 AM

(not intended to hijack)

no works dosent have near the experiance with suspension that RRC has. The racing specs are the way to go.

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM

(not intended to hijack)

no works dosent have near the experiance with suspension that RRC has. The racing specs are the way to go.
What makes you say that?...Is the build quality equal or better in the Taiwanese Buddyclub?

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 09:01 AM

(not intended to hijack)
:bs: :lol:
Thanks for your contribution....you ever heard the saying "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all" ?...Apply it.

Absinthe
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM

(not intended to hijack)

furthering what Balck94 had to say, RRE can supply just about any brand of coilover you wish. Currently he works with BuddyClub and supplies those as his custom spec'd coilovers. However if you wanted to do a set of custom ohlins I am sure John can accomodte you. There really is no reason to have anyone but John do the coilover set up provided you can get in to see them.

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 09:12 AM
thanks buddy, appreciate the info.

I understand John is an exceptional suspension tuner, but what precisely is it that sets these Buddyclubs apart from the competition (something to do with valving?, and what is valving?)

thanks

trannb
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
To the Original Poster: Exactly what Goku said.

Mulholland: What are you looking for in a coilover setup? Bang for the buck, the Buddy Club setup is the best solution available right now. Are they as nice as the $8000 Öhlins Group-N setup with external resovoirs? F no. But will spending an extra $6000 for the nice stuff make you 3 seconds faster? Also no.

All Road///Race Chassis adjustable coilover systems are custom tailored to the goals of the customer. Meaning if you want it setup for agressive street use and occasional track duties, it can be done. Full track setup on a smooth, even surface, anti-clockwise, it can be done. Clockwise track setup on a smooth, but bumpy surface with 2 kerbs, changing radius and off camber turns, it can be done. Better ride on the street with improved performance but still tire friendly, it can be done. But only years and years of experience can provide that.

As far as build quality goes, it's not like the Swedes keep their tolerances in the nanometers. The Buddy Clubs are well built and have spent a considerable amount of time in development as well as on-vehicle testing.

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks trann....that is what I was looking for, perhaps my question was too vague.

(back to the regularly scheduled program)

trannb
06-10-2005, 09:27 AM
but what precisely is it that sets these Buddyclubs apart from the competition (something to do with valving?, and what is valving?)

It's all in the setup, and valving is only part of it. The job of the damper is to prevent your springs from oscillating forever. Valving just refers to how easily the fluid inside your damper is allowed to flow. You valve them to what you want to do.

But there is a whole lot more to suspension and chassis setup that most people, including tuners, simply don't understand. In the initial stages of setup, there is a lot of analysis of the vehicle. Everything from center of mass, camber gain, bumpsteer, downforce, Ackermann steering, anti-roll stiffness, chassis torsional rigidity, and tire data is taken into account. The other half of it is in testing. The fact that Mueller has so many cars running his suspension, many providing very valuable driver feedback, as well as a very sophisticated data acquisition system, allows him to setup cars the way he does. This is the difference that you get versus any regular old tuner who sets up your chassis and just does a simple corner balance and alignment.

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
So, therefore, the virtue of a Mueller tune is lost if, lets say, you decide to uninstall/re-install the coils on your own?...Or is the art simply in the off-car set-up?

trannb
06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Not necessarily, but the truly anal would have their alignment checked and redone after reinstalling.

Mulholland
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
So the integrity of the Mueller tune is simply in the off-car set-up of the coils?...In other words, the virtue of the Muellerized set-up is not lost if the install is done by oneself (contingent on a proper alignment)?

trannb
06-10-2005, 06:30 PM
For the most part, that's correct. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm has all of the info, including what you are talking about. The general information is the same for both the Buddy Clubs and the JICs, with some possible minor differences in the exact specs and prices. Contact Sheila@RRC for more info. 562-903-1513

ericomundo
06-10-2005, 09:23 PM
How much negative camber can you run with the Mueller set ups then?

Also, will the 255/40R17 tires on 17 X 8.5 +40 offset wheels have any problems fitting with a stock suspension?

GokuSSJ4
06-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Also, will the 255/40R17 tires on 17 X 8.5 +40 offset wheels have any problems fitting with a stock suspension?
1. how much do you like your tires ???
2. you shouldn't have any problems w/stock suspension

trannb
06-10-2005, 11:43 PM

More than the tire needs.