PDA

View Full Version : Question about clutch and rev matching

evooci
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Okay I'm embarrassed to admit this but on my first car, mr2, I never rev matched while down shifting. :oops:

Yes you read correctly the thought of shifting into a lower gear and watching the rpm needle sky rocket to the higher range and feeling the big bang of my transmission rocking me and if there were an unfortunate passenger at the time.

Well many moons afterwards and thankfully wiser, I read up on rev matching while researching on the evo. I understand how it works now but there's still one thing that's been bugging me.

I've read numerous topics on this but never found a strong consensus.

I've heard double clutching is out dated, today's modern synchros handles this task so say the single clutching drivers.

Double clutch drivers fire back with you'll just wear out your synchros faster.

Since shifting into gears that grind normally means worn out synchros am I right?

This is the situation I'm trying to research on and avoid from happening when I buy my evo.

To my fellow socalevo members help me figure this one out and post which do you use and why do you rev match this way? :)

j_nizzle
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
search noob!

inline4g63
06-07-2005, 05:11 PM
sad!!

Even if double clutching isnt harmful, its a waste of time and energy. Just dont double clutch.

You evo must have you for not rev matching.

rammsteinmatt
06-07-2005, 09:31 PM
lets see......rev match to stop quiker and sound cool. reving torques the engine therefore leading to premature motor mount wear. conversely braking is boring and at some times squeely.

moral of the story: brake pads are easy to replace, motor mounts aren't; evos dont sound cool enough to rev match anyway, and with the stock brakes if you need to stop faster then they allow you to, STOP TAILGATING!!!!!!!!!!!

GokuSSJ4
06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
we had a huge thread about this :? let me look for it and please read !!!

leaveit2bevo
06-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I rev match everyday its really good practice for the track

GokuSSJ4
06-07-2005, 09:37 PM
here you go: http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=870
the best thing its to practice as much as you can

evooci
06-07-2005, 09:52 PM
search noob!

maybe you're better than me at this particular search feature i've searched on key words such as single, double, clutch, rev match but didn't find any threads that addressed the issue I was looking for

do you have any links you like to share or any info that will help shed some light to my question?

I've spoken to you before and you seem to be nice person and seem to be having a bad day judging by your replies today but if this is how you're going to reply to my future threads whenever I ask a question. Then may I kindly suggest you don't waste my time or the rest community's time by posting negative and meaningless replies.

I can take a joke or when I topic is light hearted but when someone is asking for information about something I've always handled those topics more seriously. I don't back down when I feel I have to ask something that I don't understand while I was at school, at my job, or on a forum.

to rest of the people that answered my poll question thanks and much appreciated and seems like single clutching is the way to go

@inline4g63 you make it sound like I already own an evo LOL

I'm sure the future evo will thank me since I'm learning as much as I can about the car and how to pamper it right :wink:

inline4g63
06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
oops!

Be sure to practice on your MR2 before tackling the evo or any new car worth 30k for that matter. True the brake pads are easier and cheaper to replace, but seriously rev matching is a daily occurance. I rev match when Idownshift coming to a stop off the freeway. The reason is that if you are in 5th and you just brake to slow down at the light, the car will start shuddering. So I usually down shift to 3rd. All the while I am downshifting, braking, and revmatching. Its good practice in general and it ties in with heel toe, which I am pretty descent at now.

ovenmit331
06-14-2005, 10:35 AM
i single clutch and rev match all the time. good practice and hate being in the wrong gear when traffic finally opens up, etc. i need to start learning the heel-toe

Knower
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
i single clutch and rev match all the time. good practice and hate being in the wrong gear when traffic finally opens up, etc. i need to start learning the heel-toe

Hate to bump such an old thread, but in case anyone finds this in searches, all the information you want regarding rev-matching, double-clutching, heel-toe downshifting, etc... can be found here (the link Goku posted is now dead):

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=870.15