PDA

View Full Version : Dissappointing [email protected]

DTunedEvoX
06-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey everyone ~ Went to the track yesterday with some fellow socalevo.net board buddies.. Everyone ran a great time except for me! I almost even got smoked by our buddy w/ a stock 05 evo!

Anyway here are my mods:
04 EVO
Turbo XS MBC
Greddy Type RS
5Zigen Miracle Fireball Catback Exhaust
RRE Rally Cat

Defi BF Boost Gauge for reading my boost.

Reaction: .381
60ft: 1.999
ET: 14.537
MPH: 90.869

This was @ LACR in Palmdale (www.lacr.net) so according to there calculations based on altitude I ran a 14.037 ... I know I could of worked on the 60ft a little better... On my first run I heard something leaking and 4th gear would hold boost @ 1.0 BAR... I attributed it to my snorkel and removed it .. it did better but still 90MPH? Come on! I should be trapping near 95+!

The stock 05 (albiet the 10.5 hotside) even had a higher mph than me and he was pulling on me! I think perhaps its a leak - any insight? I'm thinking of changing my boost controller for a hallman pro rx and redoing all the hoses ...

I can peak @ 1.4-1.6 bar but it always tapers down to 1.1-1.25 .. Comments/Suggestions/Opinions? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its really starting to get to me! :evil:

Blaze
06-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I may have misread that, but....

You said you heard a leaking sound in 4th and could only hold 1(+a bit) bar?
Sounds like you have a leak or your boost controller is failing.
(you will definately hear "the hiss" from your intake, so don't be mislead by that)

When does the taper occur? Right off the bat, or in the top end?

Blaze

kimletrim
06-09-2005, 10:27 AM
It's probably boost leak, but we never really talked about the spark plugs, maybe those are worth taking a look at.

Absinthe
06-09-2005, 10:28 AM
it would appear that either you can't drive (niether can I) or you are making less than stock power, or both. Take out your MBC and BOV and try again.

Blaze
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
it would appear that either you can't drive (niether can I) or you are making less than stock power, or both. Take out your MBC and BOV and try again.

It's probably not your problem, but there's a trick they do over seas with the BOV to prevent leaks. It's not for daily driver use....

Bascially they install the valve backwards which prevents it from openning/leaking. Again, it's not for daily driving, but if you suspect this to be the source of your leak, you can try it.

Blaze

DTunedEvoX
06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I dont attribute it to my driving- but I'm not pro ... my 1st time out I heard the sound and saw the boost drop to 1.0 in 4th - I've read about the snorkal issue so I removed it. my FASTEST run was the 14.5 ... When I removed the snorkal I instantly ran near a second faster because it was letting me hold 1.1-1.25 in 3rd n 4th ... Stock clutch..

Taper happens top end after 5k ...
I'm really thinking of putting my car back to stock (but keeping the catback/rally pipe)... and getting a hallman pro rx ...

I want to test my boost gauge for accuracy too but dont know how really - I'm pretty dissapointed ... :cry:

kimletrim
06-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Derrick, give me a call and we can swap boost gauages.

kimletrim
06-09-2005, 11:33 AM
+...Don't be too disappointed, going to track is not just about running the fastest time, but it's also about learning our cars and technique. It provides us with a safe way of deciphering our car and making the necessary adjustments.

Unfortnuately , your adjustments seem to require greater effort and analysis than others.

I was also disappointed with last night's run at LACR. My best time of 13.2 @ 102 my first time out could not be replicated (had MBC, Greddy RS, catback and downpipe at the time).

Now I have HFC, fuel pump, 272 cams, cam gears (-3,-3) and the best I could run waas a 13.49 @ 102.78 mph. (non-corrected). I even shifted a little past redline this time around, but I could not best or even replicate my previous time with less mods! I know I need to get tuned, but still, I should be running at least as fast as my previous time, right?

DTunedEvoX
06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
hehe yeah my et isnt whats really dissapointing me ... its the 90-92mph TRAP speed =T THAT is dissapointing .. if I could get to 99-100 mph there is where all my lost power is! :?

Knower
06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Again, it's not for daily driving, but if you suspect this to be the source of your leak, you can try it.

NO. If he suspects his bov is leaking (unlikely on stock boost) then he should perform a boost leak test. If he thinks he hears a leak then he definitely should. Checking the plug gap is another easy thing to check to see if he's misfiring (although that should be more obvious).

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

DTunedEvoX
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I think I will go out and build one of those!

Thnx 8)

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 04:10 PM
no DP, that has a lot of restrictions that could free up more power. u have dejon tool MBC? that MBC holds boost fine unless you got a bad one, but why pay double for the pro rx.

kimletrim?....u said u run slower with more mods on, what is your powerband look like. it should be tapering, so if you shift later then u are actually losing power than if you were to shift in your powerband. u have to look at the curve and see when u are making most power. after your power starts to decrease, thats when u want to shift so u get back to your higher power range.

kimletrim
06-09-2005, 04:15 PM
no DP, that has a lot of restrictions that could free up more power. u have dejon tool MBC? that MBC holds boost fine unless you got a bad one, but why pay double for the pro rx.

kimletrim?....u said u run slower with more mods on, what is your powerband look like. it should be tapering, so if you shift later then u are actually losing power than if you were to shift in your powerband. u have to look at the curve and see when u are making most power. after your power starts to decrease, thats when u want to shift so u get back to your higher power range.

I was thinking the same thing today. i am just kicking myself that I didn't make that adjustment at the track!

Absinthe
06-09-2005, 04:23 PM

His trap speed is what concerns me thats significantly less than a stock 03 in fact thats non-turbo family sedan land. Driver error will effect trap speed but not as much as it will effect ET. a great example of this is AL who at one point ripped off an 11.5 @137 proving the power was there to get to 137 but that he f'ed the run driving wise. the 90mph Trap is concerning it makes me wonder if he has a bad boost leak, bad plugs, bad gas, an angry ecu, or a little of all. With a cat back and boost control he should trap closer to 105 give or take some level of skill.

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 04:33 PM

His trap speed is what concerns me thats significantly less than a stock 03 in fact thats non-turbo family sedan land. Driver error will effect trap speed but not as much as it will effect ET. a great example of this is AL who at one point ripped off an 11.5 @137 proving the power was there to get to 137 but that he f'ed the run driving wise. the 90mph Trap is concerning it makes me wonder if he has a bad boost leak, bad plugs, bad gas, an angry ecu, or a little of all. With a cat back and boost control he should trap closer to 105 give or take some level of skill.

good point, maybe afraid of burning up the clutch? possibly bogging at start? also, he is running straight 272s correct? the low end is gone, but shouldnt be that dramatic. hopefully its just one of the above as opposed to a little of everything.

kimeltrim: time to drop of at RRE. :wink: also, look at your graph and find your maximum points. then go out and do a few pulls to see what RPMs you drop to when shifting at 7000, 7100, 7200, 7300 etc. mark down what u fall to, that way you can mark your graph and see your best shift point.

Knower
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
[quote="EvoPwr"]
His trap speed is what concerns me thats significantly less than a stock 03 in fact thats non-turbo family sedan land. Driver error will effect trap speed but not as much as it will effect ET.

good point, maybe afraid of burning up the clutch? possibly bogging at start? also, he is running straight 272s correct? the low end is gone, but shouldnt be that dramatic. hopefully its just one of the above as opposed to a little of everything.

kimeltrim: time to drop of at RRE. :wink: also, look at your graph and find your maximum points. then go out and do a few pulls to see what RPMs you drop to when shifting at 7000, 7100, 7200, 7300 etc. mark down what u fall to, that way you can mark your graph and see your best shift point.

It looks like you missed Absinthe's point almost entirely. Driver error will not affect trap speed that significantly was the point, and if you had read the original post, you would see that he listed his reaction time and 60 foot times. A 1.9 60 foot is not bad for a novice at all.

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
[quote="EvoPwr"]
His trap speed is what concerns me thats significantly less than a stock 03 in fact thats non-turbo family sedan land. Driver error will effect trap speed but not as much as it will effect ET.

It looks like you missed Absinthe's point almost entirely. Driver error will not affect trap speed that significantly was the point, and if you had read the original post, you would see that he listed his reaction time and 60 foot times. A 1.9 60 foot is not bad for a novice at all.

ok, i didnt say my reason was the only reason or the exact reason. it was merely a suggestion. he said he took it past 7000. that is why i brought it up. if you woulda read all of the posts u wouldnt have seen why i said what i said. so no i didnt miss absinthe's point

Knower
06-09-2005, 05:39 PM
ok, i didnt say my reason was the only reason or the exact reason. it was merely a suggestion. he said he took it past 7000. that is why i brought it up. if you woulda read all of the posts u wouldnt have seen why i said what i said. so no i didnt miss absinthe's point

Well, it was a suggestion that could easily be negated by the information provided in the first post, so not really a relevant suggestion. Why make a suggestion if it has no relevance?

Maybe I was confused by your post since you talk about him running straight 272s and that the low end is gone, yet that it shouldn't affect his run. THEN you talk about shifting lower (with cams that move the powerband higher). From looking at his post I don't see that he lists 272 cams as a mod.

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 05:41 PM

Well, it was a suggestion that could easily be negated by the information provided in the first post, so not really a relevant suggestion. Why make a suggestion if it has no relevance?

Maybe I was confused by your post since you talk about him running straight 272s and that the low end is gone, yet that it shouldn't affect his run. THEN you talk about shifting lower (with cams that move the powerband higher). From looking at his post I don't see that he lists 272 cams as a mod.

why dont u look closer :shock: open your eyes.

are we talking about the same person? im talking about kimeltrim.

Knower
06-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Why are you telling kimletrime to shift lower, then, if he has cams? I blame Absinthe. Absinthe, were you talking about kimletrim or the original poster's problems?

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Why are you telling kimletrime to shift lower, then, if he has cams? I blame Absinthe. Absinthe, were you talking about kimletrim or the original poster's problems?

i told him to look at his graph to see where he makes most power.

Knower
06-09-2005, 06:03 PM

Reading comprehension owns me, I guess. Also, I just realized I could've wasted less pages by bantering back and forth on irc, so everything owns me today! :oops:

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Reading comprehension owns me, I guess. Also, I just realized I could've wasted less pages by bantering back and forth on irc, so everything owns me today! :oops:

thats ok :wink:

DTunedEvoX
06-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I believe its my MBC + a leak somewhere in the system ...
I was shifting @ 6800-7000 RPM ... I think you guys are confusing me and kimletrim's problems although we did go to LACR together =T

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I believe its my MBC + a leak somewhere in the system ...
I was shifting @ 6800-7000 RPM ... I think you guys are confusing me and kimletrim's problems although we did go to LACR together =T

yea we figured it out on IRC, lol we will keep our discussions in there from now on and post the winning post on here :P

gofaster87
06-09-2005, 06:27 PM
IRC is the place we have real discussions. None of the how often do you clean your tires or how many of you are not white. We can also kick the idiots we dont like.

EvoPwr
06-09-2005, 06:28 PM
We can also kick the idiots we dont like.

:lol:

Absinthe
06-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Original posters problems, I figured Kim couldn't drive since we saw no ET's and his trap was a touch better.

BTW I accept blame for nothing...ever.

kimletrim
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Original posters problems, I figured Kim couldn't drive since we saw no ET's and his trap was a touch better.

BTW I accept blame for nothing...ever.

Huh?

Absinthe
06-10-2005, 10:12 AM
couldn't drive was the wrong choice of words, had a bad run would have been better.

Anonymous
06-11-2005, 02:59 PM
switch to an automatic transmission so you don't have to worry about shifting.

kimletrim
06-11-2005, 03:31 PM

Yeah, I suppose that's what you did since you are all modded out.

Anonymous
06-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Yeah, I suppose that's what you did since you are all modded out.

well, yea- since my ass can't drive no stick. the only stick I use is the 9inch stick in my boxer briefs