PDA

View Full Version : just installed Hotchkis springs....i hear clunking noises!!!

mamazcookn
06-19-2005, 11:55 PM
just installed Hotchkis springs onto my car and i am getting a lot of clunking noise in the rear end of my car. anyone know why that is / how to get rid of that? please help!

genrec
06-20-2005, 07:37 AM
are they seated properly???? could you of installed them upside down??

hksevo8
06-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Changing the springs on the stock struts will cause clunking noises. Think about it. You just took the longer spring out of a strut that was matched to the original spring rate and replaced it with a shorter spring of a higher spring rate. There is most likely no way to get rid of the clunking you are hearing unless you buy a set of coil overs.....unless of course they are installed upside down like genrec said.

egui42
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Did you put in the smaller bump stops? I just installed mine and I haven't gotten any clunks. (knock on wood)

mamazcookn
06-20-2005, 09:57 AM
i took it to a shop to get it done, so i wouldnt have a clue if it was installed upside down....well thanks for the replies gentlemen, ill call up the shop and have them take a look at it again.

j_nizzle
06-20-2005, 10:16 AM
should have gotten eibachs like me!

Absinthe
06-20-2005, 10:50 AM
i took it to a shop to get it done, so i wouldnt have a clue if it was installed upside down....well thanks for the replies gentlemen, ill call up the shop and have them take a look at it again.

they shouldn't clunk if installed right, that said there has been some issue witht he factory struts clunking as well. If it turns out not to be the upside down or bump stop issues go to evoM and do search to see how the guys with he factory clunk solved the issue.

as for the theory above that strut matching etc is causing the issue its likely not the case as it is my understanding from a couple of discusions I have had that this doent really exists as most struts are not position sensitive. Further more the hotchkiss springs match the stuck spring rates lowering the chances of the type of traditional strut failure associated with cut springs and poorly match kits.

evolved
06-20-2005, 11:34 AM
the clunking usually comes from the dust shields not being reinstalled. Verify by looking under your car.
I ran into this problem on my car when I installed the Tein S tech's

BOVBILLY
06-20-2005, 11:36 AM
SORRY!

Mister
07-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Was I supposed to trim the bumpstops on my MR Bilsteins when I installed my springs?

kimletrim
07-06-2005, 11:46 AM
The Hotchkis springs come with shorter bump stops.

evo_rey
07-06-2005, 05:14 PM
May be the bump stops weren't trimmed to the specs. on the installation guide. I have TEIN S-tech which had the recomended trim.

Also keep in mind that it takes some time to get the spring settled. I had some noises before when I just got my springs installed. 1 month later, no noise and it feels great.

itsa281
07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
if they werent tightened correctly they can make noise when they unload ive had problems w/a shop or two before because of this but thats if its a strut..

trannb
07-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Loosen the bolts and retorque once the car is on the ground. See if that helps.

Takashi
07-08-2005, 10:08 AM
yeah, this shouldn't be happening. i installed my hotchkis springs and didn't get clunk, so its not the coils hitting eachother.... hrm, like someone said above, make sure you torque everything down correctly. there's a link to the torque specs somewhere on this list, or i can send it to you sometime.