PDA

View Full Version : stepping on your gas pedal? how far in do you go?

sirloin
06-20-2005, 01:27 PM
ok so i was driving the other day and i was pushing the pedal maybe a lil more than half way down and when i hit boost it hit harder than usual. do you think there is a sweet spot of stepping on your gas pedal? or should mashing the sucker all the way down always the best bet?

ultraflip
06-20-2005, 01:34 PM
i'm usually around 20% throttle wherever i go... i *try* to stay off boost... i *try* to save gas... then... w/ the other 11 gallons i have in my tank i'm @ 90% throttle... not too bad.... =X

sirloin
06-20-2005, 01:43 PM
haha chris im not trying to save gas. im trying to get best acceleration. im saying when im WOT. like what gives me best acceleration? is there a sweet spot for the gas pedal? or is pedal mashing better?

ultraflip
06-20-2005, 01:47 PM
fred flinstone it and bust ur gas pedal through the floor boards... >=)

j_nizzle
06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sirloin
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
alright! so im getting mixed answers..one says mash, one says danger. which one should i do? come on people need input!

Skiracer
06-20-2005, 03:24 PM
:poke:

gofaster87
06-20-2005, 04:49 PM
This is a strange question but I would think you want the butterfly to open all the way, so go figure.

dlieu959
06-20-2005, 05:48 PM
This is a strange question but I would think you want the butterfly to open all the way, so go figure.

EVOMANIAC
10-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Just keep on trying it at different RPM's and see what works best. If you have Dynoed(sp) the car see what RPM your max HP is at and go for that. Or just floor it evertime that is always fun.

2.0 wonder
10-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I agree, learning to shift is what gives you low ET's, but like the above thread, dynoing a car tels you where your powerband ceilings, shift on that point. But, I usually take off the line at part throttle, just as the RPMS rise, its full throttle then.

EvolKnight
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
imagine your throttle body plate....cable attached from petal to throttle...now you want throttle-plate to be perpendicular to throttle body bore for true WOT... figure out how much throttle pressure on petal equate to how much throttle openning...sometimes, the plate can move a bit past perpendicular at which point its like its starting to close again...

alan678
07-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Has anyone actually seen how the flap opens when pedal of all the way down? This might get interesting if what EvolKnight is onto something...i dunno any better...i havent tried it...

EvolKnight
07-17-2006, 10:51 PM
another thing that occured to me as i was looking at my manifold...we have a tps sensors... they are potentiometer type sensors that allow the ecu to know how wide open our throttles are and to adjust fuel appopriately...they can also be adjusted...hmmmm...as for mashing the gas...i don't think it will endanger the manifold since blow off valves and wastgates are designed to release pressure in excess of what we are supposed to boost at...also, there are rev limitors and such...soooo, depends on how modified your car is...stock cars as mine have these safety measures designed into the vehicle... one more thing to consider is.... without our waste gates and blow off valves, forced induction is coursing through our intake and exhaust manifolds in addition to our turbo...if you slam shut the throttle...the throttle plate slams shut like a door on a linebacker running top speed...and the turbo won't like it either cuz the pressure will back up...sooo, get good safety measures for your car for long life and a fun ride...