PDA

View Full Version : kumho ecsta MX

evo mr
06-22-2005, 10:55 PM
who has the kumho ecsta MX on their evo, i want go 245/40 would they fit,

here the link: http://www.kumhotire.com/int/Tires/PassDetail.jsp?pattern_name=KU15

earlyapex
06-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Yes they fit but their sidewalls are soft and rollover on track if you care about that.

evo mr
06-22-2005, 11:44 PM
so they are not good for cornering you mean

Tarmac02
06-23-2005, 03:35 AM
better than some if not most... the diameter of the tire will be slightly smaller than stock, but the sidewalls aren't as stiff as advans,.. good daily tire but not something you'd want to be tracking with

tabio42
06-23-2005, 07:51 AM
IMO - terrible performance tire. Zero grip. Let's put it this way- my brother's WRX wagon with 275's all around at the drag strip: wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, and 1/4 way through 3rd. Get something else.

j_nizzle
06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
just ask dave how his evo slips and slides.........

Absinthe
06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Funny I know some one that runs them on the street and track and quite likes them incidentaly he is quicker than most people pn this board around a track. its a matter of choice. Given the size you are looking at you should have less of an issue with the sidewall flex than people have experienced with the stock size.

evo mr
06-23-2005, 12:05 PM
what good tires are good for traction and cornering. i could only spend 160 per tire.

Absinthe
06-23-2005, 12:39 PM
what good tires are good for traction and cornering. i could only spend 160 per tire.

try the azenis rt-615 in 255/40

seamore
06-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Generally MX is not as good as Azenis at autox. With that said, local Southern Californian have won Nationals at Topika in his Civic with MXs in street tire class. Some of it still the driver. My personal experience is that Azenis are faster than MX. However, the new Azenis 615s will cost more than MX. Perhaps you can find some old Azenis 215 but I am not sure if they have the correct size for EVO.

evo mr
06-27-2005, 11:01 AM
i bought the new azenis i got 245-45 thats the only size that would fit, they will arrive tomorow or thursday

silvery_eagle
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
here's a comparo from tirerack... kumho ecsta mx apears to be slightly better than BFgoodrich KD....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/yo_advan_neova_ad07.jsp

it appears that this kind of tires are quite ok on ocasional wet... sacrificing slight performance on dry.

Terry S
05-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Didn't AMS run these on their One Lap of America car? I cant make it over to EvoM right now to double check... But they placed near the bottom of the pack on the wet skidpad thanks to whatever tire they were running. They also were complaining that the tires pretty much sucked on a whole anyways.

Terry S

xEviLxVIIIx
05-16-2006, 02:20 PM
i just got some stock size MX's and have only a few hundred miles on them but so far its pretty good. its no advan's but its also half the price. for a daily driven tire, its good.

DTunedEvoX
05-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Whoa almost a year old ...

Terry S
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Whoa almost a year old ...

lol I didn't even catch that. Damn you silver for dredging up an old thread!

Terry S

silvery_eagle
05-16-2006, 03:21 PM
wtf?
it's a valid post ... i searched for that topic to continue a discussion without starting a new one on the same thing...
hater :(

besides ... i'm still in the market to get some new tires....

Terry S
05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
wtf?
it's a valid post ... i searched for that topic to continue a discussion without starting a new one on the same thing...
hater :(

besides ... i'm still in the market to get some new tires....

I demand that you start out any replies to old threads with a warning that you are bringing back an old post. :D

Also, can anyone confirm the tires AMS used?

Terry S

DTunedEvoX
05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
lol I'm not hating lol I was just as surprised ... but the comments stated in this thread all stand true .. You know your options - Kuhmo MX, BFG KD's or Falken Azenis RT 615-'s - Only thing to deceide now is which one fits in your budget :D

trinydex
05-17-2006, 03:39 PM
yes ams used them in a huge size.

the mxs are good for dry traction, less than fabulous on wet. but you can read the end all tire thread for that.

what i want to say about the mxs is that tire profile is CRUCIAL in the decision. in fact the tire profile is crucial on any tire that is softer than the stock tires.

that said the ALIGNMENT is also CRUCIAL! if you dial in more negative camber on these they will perform better. that's just a fact of softy tires, you don't want them to roll over. once they do you will lose almost all respectable levels of grip.

the compound on these is not bad... just the sidewalls.

i don't know about drag racing but i'd expect these need some heat in 'em before they stick.