PDA

View Full Version : Who knows how to install an EGT probe?

Miss Evo8
06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
I have an EGT gauge that I want installed and was wondering who knows how or where I can get it done at? Please don't say Road Race because they never answer the phone.

Miss Evo8
06-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Anyone? Oh come on all you "tuners" out there!!!!

bogey8
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
If you don't mind driving 45 min, take it to Tuning Technologies (909) 783-1200. Chris or Alfred will take care of it for you. They're in Colton.

WavMixer
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
I installed mine. If you have a drill, assorted sizes drill bits and a tap n' die set, it's not too hard of a job. Drill a hole in the #1 exhaust runner approx 2-4 inches from the exhaust port, tap threads into the hole, screw in the adaptor and presto!

kimletrim
06-24-2005, 03:16 PM
The process is easy. It's the anxiety and worries you have in hoping that none of the metal shreds end up in the turbo tha make this a tough install. I've done on my car, but I would never trust myself to do it for someone else.

Tarmac02
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah ... with patience you can do it yourself and get very little, talking trace amounts there, shavings to fall into the header. Then just hope they'r esmall enough to make it through your compressor wheel without screwing anything up.

gofaster87
06-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Well the manifold is easy enough to take off to do it but it can be drilled with the motor on as to blow out the shavings. Roadrace does it for a really good price which wil alleviate all your worries about messing it up.

rammsteinmatt
06-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Well the manifold is easy enough to take off to do it but it can be drilled with the motor on as to blow out the shavings.

you're joking right?

EvoRution
06-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Nope.. thats how RRE does it.. they did that on my old 2G.. took Ty like 2 min. .

turbrodude
06-24-2005, 06:01 PM
turn on the shop vac and have it suck all the shavings while you drill. Before you break thru the manifold, turn on the motor. The exhaust pressure will fire any shaving out. Start with a small pilot hole. Then drill the correct size hole for the tap. Shut engine off. Grease up tap like a crazy. The grease will hold further shavings on the tap. Tap the hole and don't screw up. If you can't tap straight and don't know when to quit so your pipe thread doesn't sink too deep, then you shouldn't be considering this in the first place.

turbrodude
06-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Oh - and if you don't know what happens if you break your cheap 'Made in China' tap, you shouldn't be doing this either.

gofaster87
06-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Well the manifold is easy enough to take off to do it but it can be drilled with the motor on as to blow out the shavings.

you're joking right?

No thats how its really done. Every DSMer I know has done it this way and Ive done a few this way. Always works perfect.

itsmeeeugene
06-24-2005, 06:59 PM
u dont even need to take off the manifold, just drill it the way it is. and use one of those strong magnets that is extended on a stick, shove it through the hole u just drilled and pull out all the shavings.

WavMixer
06-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Actually you want to drill the hole with the engine running. so all the shavings blow out the hole. The best way is to remove the manifold then you don't have to worry about shavings or toasting your hand. Takes longer, but no worries mate.

trannb
06-25-2005, 12:55 AM
...until you break your first exhaust manifold stud

earlyapex
06-25-2005, 01:05 AM
Takes longer, but no worries mate.

Do you realize you started saying "mate" after your gaiboi FQwhateverthefuck dealings?

lame.

Knower
06-25-2005, 04:41 PM
I have an EGT gauge that I want installed and was wondering who knows how or where I can get it done at? Please don't say Road Race because they never answer the phone.

What time do you call them? Every time I call them during the correct time window I get someone on the phone or I leave a message and get a call back. Worst comes to worst, head down there during business hours and talk to someone in person.

You can do this yourself with a high speed drill and a good bit. It's a pain in the ass though, because cast iron is not exactly soft.

Miss Evo8
06-25-2005, 04:45 PM

What time do you call them? Every time I call them during the correct time window I get someone on the phone or I leave a message and get a call back. Worst comes to worst, head down there during business hours and talk to someone in person.

You can do this yourself with a high speed drill and a good bit. It's a pain in the ass though, because cast iron is not exactly soft.

I have called at different hours and I just get a machine :x Have left messages no return call! and no I can't do it myself because of dirt, grime and I might break a nail or mess up my manicure!!!! :lol:

Knower
06-25-2005, 04:58 PM
I have called at different hours and I just get a machine :x Have left messages no return call! and no I can't do it myself because of dirt, grime and I might break a nail or mess up my manicure!!!! :lol:

Well, I'm sure one of these keyboard racers will help you out if you offer to pose next to their Evo or something like that. 8)

tama_mog
06-25-2005, 05:17 PM
or your could pose next to knower's dsm and he'll tap it for you. I know how much he loves tapping egts =D

gofaster87
06-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I always get an answer from rre. I usually call between the hours of 1 and 4.

BOVBILLY
06-25-2005, 10:01 PM

MAYBE NO ONE LIKES YOU. TAKE THE HINT BABE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Macky
06-25-2005, 10:04 PM
and no I can't do it myself because of dirt, grime and I might break a nail or mess up my manicure!!!! :lol:

dirt and grime can be washed off, nails grow back and manicure can be redone. its not the end of the world.

8)

Knower
06-27-2005, 01:19 AM
or your could pose next to knower's dsm and he'll tap it for you. I know how much he loves tapping egts =D

Nah, very few girls are hot enough to pose next to my POS. tama_mog, I just deleted the pokemon theme from your phone. Your phone feels like a realy phone now. Has some self esteem. :lol:

WavMixer
06-27-2005, 07:21 AM
Takes longer, but no worries mate.

Do you realize you started saying "mate" after your gaiboi FQwhateverthefuck dealings?

lame.Actually that was my attempt at a Crocodile Dundee imitation. however I have realized you never commented on any of my posts until this whole FQ badge issue. It must really bother you huh? FWIW, I have been making Crcodile Dundee comments since the movie came out many years ago. Now how about a hug while I put another shrimp on the barbie mate?

ultraflip
06-27-2005, 07:30 AM
i'll drill ya if ya want... :wink: ... the egt probe that is :twisted:

WavMixer
06-27-2005, 07:32 AM
i'll drill ya if ya want... :wink: ... the egt probe that is :twisted:You might be able to drill it, but can you tap it?

ultraflip
06-27-2005, 07:35 AM
ask Dmoney... hunched that over a chair and made him scream all sorts guamanian words... hahahhaa

earlyapex
06-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Actually that was my attempt at a Crocodile Dundee imitation. however I have realized you never commented on any of my posts until this whole FQ badge issue. It must really bother you huh? FWIW, I have been making Crcodile Dundee comments since the movie came out many years ago. Now how about a hug while I put another shrimp on the barbie mate?

Actually I think I replied to a couple of your old "I'm going to run 11's with my mods" and "I made eleventy billion ft/lb of torque on i-speeds lame DynaPak dyno" threads.

tama_mog
06-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Nah, very few girls are hot enough to pose next to my POS. tama_mog, I just deleted the pokemon theme from your phone. Your phone feels like a realy phone now. Has some self esteem. :lol:

Hey take that back, that was mashi maro =X

Mike W
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM

When was this? I checked the call logs from last week and there are no unreturned calls. Also no messages last week from a female.

We return _all_ the calls _every_ day. We have three lines and two people on the phone for most of the day. The phone rings off the hook for 20 minutes, it'll be quiet for 20 minutes. One week a Monday is crazy, the next week Wednesday is the nutty day. A shop could staff four phone sales guys all day all week for the few times it is that busy, but then I doubt you all would want to pay those kind of prices. Anyone that has been to the shop know we answer the phone. I take it personally when someone says "RRE never answers the phone" It is not true by any stretch.

Mike W

Coolguy949
06-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Just call back. They will pick up eventually. Someone always picks up for me. If you cant get through you can always email em.