PDA

View Full Version : strange noise from inside dash.. please comment

rubelcon
06-26-2005, 11:02 AM
So the mr turns about 700 miles yesterday, gets its first oil change, drives over 100 miles the first time in one day to go see Rob in chino, blah, blah.

So I notice yesterday a strange pressure induced sound coming from inside my dash when I hit even the slightest bump. It sounds like the unibody flex is creating movement in the dash or in multiple harnesses, but I am not sure where to even begin to look.

This is indeed not the same sound I get from my windshield seal (mr issue).

Any ideas what this might be? Has anyone with an '05 had this issue?

Please help.

Macky
06-26-2005, 11:06 AM
had something similar, but it went away. it happened early in the morning or something like that. havent heard it since.

Dr. Evo
06-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Why doesn't anybody on these boards take their car in for warranty work?

rubelcon
06-26-2005, 12:33 PM

To make your life easier :roll: Back on topic.

rammsteinmatt
06-26-2005, 12:36 PM
i have a sound when going over bumps, that sounds very very similar to your issue. to me it sounds like the bumps cause the car to flex, and that is causing the dash (the rubbery part on top) to stretch and kinda sound like it is trying to pull away from its fastener thing. i drive an '05 with ~1800 on the clock, and i only notice this on really bumpy freeways or roads.

my solution: turn up the radio and drown out the sound. im thinking its an evo, it is not suppose to be nice riding and quiet - if i wanted that i would have bought something else

but if this is causing harm (i dont think so) maybe someone could comment. and im not taking it to the dealer (HB is the only place i'll go for someone to look at my car) 50 so miles away for them to tell me its normal (because gas doesnt grow on trees)

KRS333
06-26-2005, 01:20 PM
So the mr turns about 700 miles yesterday, gets its first oil change, drives over 100 miles the first time in one day to go see Rob in chino, blah, blah.

So I notice yesterday a strange pressure induced sound coming from inside my dash when I hit even the slightest bump. It sounds like the unibody flex is creating movement in the dash or in multiple harnesses, but I am not sure where to even begin to look.

This is indeed not the same sound I get from my windshield seal (mr issue).

Any ideas what this might be? Has anyone with an '05 had this issue?

Please help.

Bro were you at HB yesterday? If so i will say it again.. You have a bad as MR... Hope you get your problem fixed..

Blaze
06-26-2005, 01:53 PM

ooo....where is Shaun?

He'll give a page long response for this one, I'm certain.
(I won't spoil it for him though)

IH8VTEC
06-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I have a slight rattle when I start the car form my dash, sounds like a wiring harness or something. I don't hear it while driving. I do however have a big rattle under the car, like a heat shield or something.

rubelcon
06-26-2005, 03:20 PM
i have a sound when going over bumps, that sounds very very similar to your issue. to me it sounds like the bumps cause the car to flex, and that is causing the dash (the rubbery part on top) to stretch and kinda sound like it is trying to pull away from its fastener thing. i drive an '05 with ~1800 on the clock, and i only notice this on really bumpy freeways or roads.

my solution: turn up the radio and drown out the sound. im thinking its an evo, it is not suppose to be nice riding and quiet - if i wanted that i would have bought something else

but if this is causing harm (i dont think so) maybe someone could comment. and im not taking it to the dealer (HB is the only place i'll go for someone to look at my car) 50 so miles away for them to tell me its normal (because gas doesnt grow on trees)

my problem exactly. as well, cant take a day off work to hear those results, 'sorry, it is normal'

Worse case scenarion, I will take it down to hb.

KRS333 -> That was me! Thanks man ;)

tabio42
06-26-2005, 03:41 PM
is it a creaking noise? Maybe your suspension has some dirt stuck in there. I have to blast my coilovers with the air gun every so often.

rubelcon
06-26-2005, 03:44 PM
is it a creaking noise? Maybe your suspension has some dirt stuck in there. I have to blast my coilovers with the air gun every so often.

Yes, it is a creaking noise. Although it sounds like it is in the dash. Did cleaning the c/o's with air pressure help?

genrec
06-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Yo B, my 05 has a dozen or more creaking, rattling points in it.....the dealer is not gonna do anything to solve these, i've accepted it and have told myself numerous times it goes hand in hand with owning a car like this......the flipside of those annoying noises is the all around performance.

I'm sure your issues are like everyone elses and nothing to really worry about.

F-it!!

Dr. Evo
06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with my last post, just honestly wondering why it would be brought up here rather then taking it in. It is pretty hard to find a dash rattle, and nearly impossible to do it over the internet :D . I guess your local dealers down there must all suck. All I seem to hear from people is how the dealer denied their claim, or fuxed up their car. That sucks. I have always worked for a dealership. I have never experienced any writer or manger turn away a legitimate warrnty claim. IF I was still at a Mits dealer I would say bring it to me. Rattles are very much covered under warranty. If the dealer doesn't want to cover it, call Mitsu and report them. It is not their decision to cover/not cover whatever they wish. They have an obligation to the customer the honor the claims made by Mitsubishi.

Macky
06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
one other reason why some people dont bring it to the dealer is this:

once the dash is all taken off and they find nothing, guess what?

most likely the sound will come back with a twist - new sounds from the screws/bolts that are now not the same tightly wound ones that were there when the car left the factory. you technically multiply your noises and problems.

just a thought.

Nebolic
06-28-2005, 08:16 AM
i have the same sound, but it only happens on certain road types (i.e bumpy) at first i thought my engine was getting fried, and i was shitting bricks for a while, then the sound went away when i was driving on a nice paved highway. . . I don't know what the sound is but it is very annoying...

and about taking it for warranty work . . . it is difficult because 99.9% of the time, the dealer won't be able to replicate it, and if they do their response is "oh, its suppose to be like that" or they go, okay we'll take it apart but if we don't find anything wrong it'll cost you $1000.

nebo

Dr. Evo
06-28-2005, 11:34 PM
and about taking it for warranty work . . . it is difficult because 99.9% of the time, the dealer won't be able to replicate it, and if they do their response is "oh, its suppose to be like that" or they go, okay we'll take it apart but if we don't find anything wrong it'll cost you $1000.

nebo

Wow it sounds like you are getting ripped off if the dealer tries to charge you for something they cannot duplicate of fix. The only time you can be charged is if you complain about something, say a clutch issue, then they take it apart to find you have modified the vehicle, like put an ACT in or something. Other then that it is illegal. Oh, and if you don't authorize $$ on the ticket to begin with, they can't charge you squat. And your local dealer can't duplicate 99.9% of what you bring them? Either there is almost never an actual problem, or the techs are hacks where you go. OR the most likely cause: the mentality that all dealer techs are crooks and out to rip you off :roll: . This is my favorite little bit of B.S., since dealer repair shops are monitored just as closely as independants by the BAR, the BBB, and also by the manufacturers and usually JD Power, to make sure that quality and fairness are kept to a maximum. There would be no reason for me to not want to fix your car when you brought it in to the shop. That is how we get paid. Most shops are flat rate, meaning if I can't fix the car I don't make any money. Also, if I was to tear the car apart aimlessly and find nothing, I usually would not get paid for the time I had into the job. Maybe I have a better mentality then the techs in your area, but I value and take pride in my profession, and like to put out a quality product. How would it benifit me the piss the customer off intentionally when they bring in warranty work by not giving a shit about fixing the car. Is this guy going to bring it back for service work in the future now? Hell no he isn't. Well, like I said, I am sorry that the shops in your are have given you such a sour outlook at dealer shops. All I can say is that we are not all like that. When I left Mitsubishi I had a 99%+ CSI rating, and had customers driving from Santa Barbara to bring their cars to me for service work. *inhale* Just remember the most important thing is to find a mechanic YOU trust. Be it at a dealer or not. But your warranty is a good thing to have :D .