PDA

View Full Version : Just experienced my first track, want to fix my flaws

lagcisco
07-17-2005, 10:32 AM
well I just had the extreme pleasure of going to my first ever track day (actually "High Performance Driving School" at ButtonWillow)

for reference, my car is completely stock 05 GSR

besides my shifting sucking ass, my line being terrible, and all that, the most annoying part of my run was the tight right turn just after exiting the pits, I think it was called the Off Ramp, anyhow, always, every single lap, on the turn my tires would be sqeeling like crazy, never really understood wtf I was doing wrong, but my guess would be that I was just going too fast, I dont know..

has anyone else had problems with this turn?

kmEVO818
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Did you have an instructor go out with you for a few laps?

ultraflip
07-18-2005, 08:09 AM
bad line... turning too hard into the turn maybe? not the correct speed? weight transfer was incorrect? lots of variables... can you please elaborate?

flipryder21
07-18-2005, 08:20 AM
hmm..... from my knowledge, there is no way your tire is not going to squel on a fast turn unless your floating on mid air or on a very big turn 8) but that's just me I guess

rammsteinmatt
07-18-2005, 10:27 AM
i gotten the yokos to squeel before, granted i dont really know what im doing.

just throw it into a sharp right hander (deserted street corner) witht he right foot pegged, my front locks and the tires squeel looking for traction. when all is said and done i jus made a right turn ~40 with a little understeer, but stayed in my lane

additionally a common characteristic between my situation and yours. these were both just after the car started, therefore the tires would have some amount of heat to get into them before they get up to their full operating (and best performing) temperature

Absinthe
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Richard Evo should chime in as he drives that track more than most of us.

That said if its imediate in the turn its likely comming from too sharp of a imput as it relates to turn-in, mid corner its could be too much speed carried, with out being ion the car with you its tough to say.

silvery_eagle
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM
which track setup are you running?
clock wise or counter clock wise?
i got my instructor push hard on my stock gsr and man it was scarier than roller coaster lol... of course tire squeeling / slipping all the time when pushed that hard..

Skiracer
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
If the tires don't squeal, you ain't driving hard enuf! :twisted:

GokuSSJ4
07-18-2005, 11:58 AM
If the tires don't squeal, you ain't driving hard enuf! :twisted:
nuff said...

alex_alex
07-18-2005, 02:09 PM
Richard Evo should chime in as he drives that track more than most of us.

+1

he's got more track experience than anyone on these boards probably (next to Kent). he should be one of the fastest people on here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

lagcisco
07-18-2005, 03:35 PM
I never did ask an instructor to go out with me, should have, one of them Scott, was driving a prepped Evo himself

as far as elaborating what I was doing, I'm not really sure wtf I was doing!

But this turn was the one I'd always sqeel on

Absinthe did mention giving too much input, I think that might have been the biggest culprit and it makes sense too since it was the tightest turn there..

the track was running clockwise

Skiracer
07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
The purpose of driving school is to have an instructor in the car with you. Without him/her, you are blind on the course and don't know the proper lines, braking points, etc... Get your money's worth and grab an instructor the next time you're out. You'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more!

lagcisco
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
yeah I messed up their, I'll have to do that next time

egui42
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
The purpose of driving school is to have an instructor in the car with you. Without him/her, you are blind on the course and don't know the proper lines, braking points, etc... Get your money's worth and grab an instructor the next time you're out. You'll enjoy it a heck of a lot more!

+10000

Evo RS-T
09-20-2005, 03:35 PM
I never did ask an instructor to go out with me, should have, one of them Scott, was driving a prepped Evo himself

Absinthe did mention giving too much input, I think that might have been the biggest culprit and it makes sense too since it was the tightest turn there..

You should have tracked me down! I would have been happy to have helped you out. I've been teaching for Buttonwillow for a number of years, and as you noticed, my Buttonwillow experience includes seat time in an Evo. Don't be shy next time.

Speaking of next time, will you be attending the December 17 clinic (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm)? I am scheduled to instruct, but sometimes my real job gets in the way during that time of year.

From time to time I teach for other groups, too, so feel free to hit me up any time for assistance. I also have quite a bit of recent time at Laguna Seca under my belt.

earlyapex
09-20-2005, 05:02 PM
this turn?

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/albums/buttonwillow_04_25_05/bwillow_0425_09.jpg

If so, that is normal, my car always fights for traction there and tracking out of there.

Squeeling tires, espically the stock ones which squeel like a pig, is a sign of goodness. :)

Miss Evo8
09-20-2005, 05:42 PM

You should have tracked me down! I would have been happy to have helped you out. I've been teaching for Buttonwillow for a number of years, and as you noticed, my Buttonwillow experience includes seat time in an Evo. Don't be shy next time.

Speaking of next time, will you be attending the December 17 clinic (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm)? I am scheduled to instruct, but sometimes my real job gets in the way during that time of year.

From time to time I teach for other groups, too, so feel free to hit me up any time for assistance. I also have quite a bit of recent time at Laguna Seca under my belt.

Hi Scott. Remember me Angela yellow Evo at last instructor day/ Buttonwillow?
I used Scott to my advantage. It was my first day at the track ever. I learned so much. I use the skills he taught me on the street too. (I always obey the law ;) ) This friday is my 3rd time going to the track I am hooked its much more fun when you know what you are doing. Thanks again Scott.

Evo RS-T
09-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Scott. Remember me Angela yellow Evo at last instructor day/ Buttonwillow?
I used Scott to my advantage. It was my first day at the track ever. I learned so much. I use the skills he taught me on the street too. (I always obey the law* ;) ) This friday is my 3rd time going to the track I am hooked its much more fun when you know what you are doing. Thanks again Scott.

Of course I remember you, Angela! You were a great listener, and it paid off when you applied what you'd learned. I'm very happy to know that you were happy with the experience. Will I see you at the clinic in December? And let me know if you're ever going to track and want some help. If I don't have anything planned, and the group you're with will let me help out, I'd enjoy working with you again.