PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge install

KRS333
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
I just purchased a Apexi ELS2 boost gauge.. Can anybody give me a run down on how to install it?

DTunedEvoX
08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
I just purchased a Apexi ELS2 boost gauge.. Can anybody give me a run down on how to install it?

Is that one w/ a control unit or not? Boost Gauges are fairly easy to install- you just gotta figure out where you wanna tap your boost source from and where you'll be pulling the power ... ground is pretty easy (anywhere) ...

KRS333
08-01-2005, 02:39 PM
It's the one without the control box..

DTunedEvoX
08-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Okay - how many wires are comming out of the gauge and what colors? Did you buy the gauge new or used? does it come w/ vaccume hose?

KRS333
08-01-2005, 03:48 PM
It is new bro.. As for the wires i really do not remember how they look. Either way i will head you back up later.. Thanks

turbolarry
08-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Is it this one?
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/7.pdf

silvery_eagle
08-02-2005, 12:59 PM
any cons for the cheap boost gauge from autometer?

gofaster87
08-02-2005, 05:23 PM

Well the cheap boost guages are mechanical which I dont really care for. Running vacuum hose inside the car can lead to leaks if youre not careful. Any electronic guage will be pricey including Autometer's.

DTunedEvoX
08-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Is it this one?
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfInstallation/7.pdf

Thats a good one to use Karlos- straight from Apexi themselves. .. Thats where I tapped my electronic Defi BF's ... !

KRS333
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
Ok so i was looking at the Apexi gauge & the black wire is for ground which is easy but were do i connect the yellow? It's for the backlight but any safe place i should be tapping into?

DTunedEvoX
08-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Ok so i was looking at the Apexi gauge & the black wire is for ground which is easy but were do i connect the yellow? It's for the backlight but any safe place i should be tapping into?

Where are you mounting this gauge? You can use Radio, Cigarette Lighter, Fuse Box, basically anywhere with a 12v source when the car is in the ON position according to the manual! Good luck and make sure you take pictures when your done!

turbolarry
08-04-2005, 11:25 AM

I splice my gauge lights to the light bulb for the ashtray. Open up the center console and it's right there. It will turn on and off with the parking lights.

KRS333
08-04-2005, 11:28 AM

I splice my gauge lights to the light bulb for the ashtray. Open up the center console and it's right there. It will turn on and off with the parking lights.

That is a pretty good idea bro.. Thanks guys. I will post some pics as well Dereck..

WavMixer
08-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Well the cheap boost guages are mechanical which I dont really care for. Running vacuum hose inside the car can lead to leaks if youre not careful. Any electronic guage will be pricey including Autometer's.You can pinch an electrical wire easier than you can a vacuum line. I can understand not running a mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the car, but running a vacuum line should be no big deal. I have a mechanical Defi boost gauge and I ran the vacuum line so that it would not get pinched, burned or cut. I have no problems with mine.

KRS333
08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Ok one last question before you guys beat the shit out of me.. My Apexi boost gauge states plug my hoses into the Intake Manifold & to the Fule pressure. Now i am also installing a MBC & i am going off the Halman instruction.. That also states to plug in a hose into the Intake monifold. Do i have to three way the hose from the boost gauge & the MBC to the monifold?

kimletrim
08-05-2005, 12:38 PM
For the boost guage, just T into the fuel pressure line and omit the intake manifold. You are making it more difficult than it really is. Get you boost guage working first and then deal with the MBC. One step at a time buddy!

cman6453
08-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone - Can someone point out which tube I should be splicing into for the vacuum connection? It'll be my luck to splice into the wrong one. I have a VDO mechanical gauge from 42draftdesigns.

Thanks!!

cman6453
08-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I'll reply to my own question for the benefit of the other noobies like me. Found a link on lancershop.com:

Boost gauge install (http://www.lancershop.com/customer/pages.php?pageid=14).

silvery_eagle
12-07-2005, 01:11 PM
bump for some good info when i'm doing a search for boost gauge.