PDA

View Full Version : n00b Post Restrictions

Blaze
08-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Newbies should not be allowed to post on SoCal without a minimum of 50 posts.

itsmeeeugene
08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
how would they ever get their post to 50 if they were never allowed to post in the first place.

Blaze
08-01-2005, 02:06 PM
how would they ever get their post to 50 if they were never allowed to post in the first place.

Case and point exactly.

rammsteinmatt
08-01-2005, 02:12 PM

Case and point exactly.

+ (a bigger number than you could imagine)

first 10 posts should be mod/admin approved. and banning should be used more liberally

rammsteinmatt
08-01-2005, 02:22 PM
so i just realized what the problem really was, i didnt get to the fuckers' thread. can we ban people with physical violence, namely beat them to the point they are unable to type anymore?

also maybe make a forum that is only accessable to people with 750+ posts (or some other large number) where real business can be conducted

gofaster87
08-01-2005, 02:26 PM
NABR has a good layout with sections dedicated to members with 50+ posts and 500+ posts. You can also restrict the newbies to a specific section, I believe they do this on dsm tuners now and it works well.

Blaze
08-01-2005, 02:34 PM
NABR has a good layout with sections dedicated to members with 50+ posts and 500+ posts. You can also restrict the newbies to a specific section, I believe they do this on dsm tuners now and it works well.

I've seen this on other forums too.
It's be nice if SoCal invested in the functionality.

n00bs can view most any forum, but are restricted from posting in them.

I honestly think this would improve the quality of the technical sections at the very least....

2 cents.

...and Matt. I think you should invest in one of these n00b grooming tools. They're great for limiting posts or at least the speed to which n00bs post.

http://www.mailordercigars.com/Images/Deluxe%20Cigar%20Cutter.JPG

drmosh
08-01-2005, 02:52 PM
We will have this with version 2.0 certain areas will be restricted by post count.

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
:roll:

A little to sensitive in here today.

SSwest
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
The reason most of you guys have so many posts is because you don't really post anything of significance, it usually bullshit, off the thread topic coments. I miss Rich...

blownoutshoesboy
08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
come on... get over it!!! :roll:

2fnslo
08-01-2005, 03:07 PM

No they just don't want a noob friendly environment.... way to make friends evo guys!!

Tarmac02
08-01-2005, 03:08 PM
I don't think restricting from posting in certain areas is the answer,... but maybe limiting the max number of posts you can make in a day to 5until you reach 50 posts,...

that will keep the hyper posting trolls to a limit while they've got everybody in an uproar,... also make it so you can't edit those posts

Hell ,.. we have knowledgeable contributing members that don't post that much even,.. so 5 per day is pretty generous

Ohh,... and NABR is gay, just my opinion, they care about correct spelling and punctuation more than actual information,... not saying there isn't some good stuff on there, but it's run by obsessive compulsive elementary english teachers

Absinthe
08-01-2005, 03:18 PM
The reason most of you guys have so many posts is because you don't really post anything of significance, it usually bullshit, off the thread topic coments. I miss Rich...

I resemble that remark, but I am also willing to wager I know more about many of the technical aspects of car tuning than 50% of this board.

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I resemble that remark, but I am also willing to wager I know more about many of the technical aspects of car tuning than 50% of this board.

It's "RESENT" not "RESEMBLE"

Sorry, had to do it with the above post about the grammar Nazi's.

Absinthe
08-01-2005, 03:30 PM
DO it when its not 1,000 degrees at the track though

as for the new guys why not just ignore them?

rammsteinmatt
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM

No they just don't want a noob friendly environment.... way to make friends evo guys!!

how about this: we limit your posting to OUR hearts content. if you want to make friends, and find out how friendly we really are, come to a meet. they are all clearly posted, and everyone is welcome.

but e-thugs never seem to come to meets :roll:

gt40
08-01-2005, 03:35 PM
There are 2 kinds of evo owners and the site needs to choose who to cater to at some point.

Folks wanting the "newest" ride are already moving on. Then there are those of us who appreciate just how amazing this car really is and understand it is probably once in a generation that a car this pure comes to market. I will drive mine on the street until I have to smog it and then turn it to the dedicated race car it wants to be... Back to the site:

Growing pains are part of this place but the real issue is we need people to step up and contribute more instead of just punking out.

I think having some relevant events where folks get to actually meet and do stuff face to face helps keep it real. I think if we had more stuff going on in the real world as a site, useless posts and folks acting so brain dead would be less of an issue.

I would like to run another EOC day. Anyone not afraid to actually drive their car needs to post if they want to hit the track soon...

rammsteinmatt
08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Growing pains are part of this place but the real issue is we need people to step up and contribute more instead of just punking out.

so are you asking for more people to help the site? (as in moderation)
or more meets, both mini and board wide?

because i think the mini meets are a great way to appreciate the car that we drive. and i agree with you, we need more. from my house, it is at least 35 miles to the closest meet (not to mention the 2 semi-failed meets that i have single-handedly tried to start or revive)

i have tried to start more meets (mainly for convenience to me), but ultimately it lies in the "enthausiast" to come and participate

my $.02

ultraflip
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I would like to run another EOC day. Anyone not afraid to actually drive their car needs to post if they want to hit the track soon...

+1 very well put mark!! i totally agree with everything you've stated in your post...

for my point of view: i've been on this sight since i've purchased my car... slowly gaining information from everyone... including yourself mark... i still consider myself a n00b... i mean... come on.. there's so much to learn about this car... and to hit up the track... EOC style... i think many agree with me that there would really be no other way of expressing what they've learned, done, or thought of doing with their car

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 03:48 PM
how about this: we limit your posting to OUR hearts content. if you want to make friends, and find out how friendly we really are, come to a meet. they are all clearly posted, and everyone is welcome.

but e-thugs never seem to come to meets :roll:

I don't go to SRT4 or EVO meets very often mainly because I am not interested in the "hang out". I enjoy drag racing and if there is a meet a the track I am game. I have known Chris from Tuning Technologies for 5 years now from when I used to have my GVR4. Scot Gray helped me run my best time in the GVR4 at Fontana 2 years ago. I have met many EVO owners including the KING shit talker himself IE EVO. <-----I was there the day that car was destroyed. I know Smoggy and a few others that come out to Fontana on drag days.

As far as e-thuging I distinctly remember threatening posts from EVO owners and none from the NOOB's. Something about "don't piss off so and so" because he "will deal with you". The NOOB's were talking shit about the EVO so I played along hoping to have some fun.

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 03:52 PM
BUT WHY WALK IN TO A PACK OF WOLVES? WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

WHAT COLOR SRT DO YOU HAVE?

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 03:58 PM

HUH? Are you saying you guys are a pack of wolves? :lol: I never said anything bad about the EVO or anyone here. Well except for that comment about the ghetto side exit burning the side of your car.

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM

HUH? Are you saying you guys are a pack of wolves? :lol: I never said anything bad about the EVO or anyone here. Well except for that comment about the ghetto side exit burning the side of your car.

ONCE AGAIN, WHAT COLOR IS YOUR SRT?

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 04:01 PM

ONCE AGAIN, WHAT COLOR IS YOUR SRT?

Sorry, silver.

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:02 PM
YOU WERE AT T.T. RECENTLY?

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
YOU WERE AT T.T. RECENTLY?

I am there all the time.

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:07 PM
SO IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, YOU ARE THE SILVER SRT, BLAZE AND I SAW, HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE THROTTLE.

I KNOW YOU KNOW ME. YOU ARE THE SKINNY WHITE KID, I THINK. OR YOU ARE THE BIG DOPEY BRUNETTE.

NOW, ISN'T THAT A HELL OF WAY, TO SHOW HOW T.T. SPONSORS YOUR CARS (I BELIEVE), TO COME ON OUR BOARD AND ACT LIKE AN ASS.

WHY IN THE HELL, WOULD YOU DO THAT?

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
YOUR CAR HAS THE LICENSE PLATE FRAME: YES, I DO STREET RACE, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, CORRECT?

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
SO IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, YOU ARE THE SILVER SRT, BLAZE AND I SAW, HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE THROTTLE.

I KNOW YOU KNOW ME. YOU ARE THE SKINNY WHITE KID, I THINK. OR YOU ARE THE BIG DOPEY BRUNETTE.

NOW, ISN'T THAT A HELL OF WAY, TO SHOW HOW T.T. SPONSORS YOUR CARS (I BELIEVE), TO COME ON OUR BOARD AND ACT LIKE AN ASS.

No, that is Gunnar's(dopey Brunette) car and that was Jeff(skinny white kid) with him.

TT doesn't sponsor me nor have I done anything that would portray them in a bad way.

I have NOT been an ASS at all. I poked a little fun at you and it obviously worked because you are still butt hurt about it.

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:18 PM

No, that is Gunnar's(dopey Brunette) car and that was Jeff(skinny white kid) with him.

TT doesn't sponsor me nor have I done anything that would portray them in a bad way.

I have NOT been an ASS at all. I poked a little fun at you and it obviously worked because you are still butt hurt about it.

BUTT HURT, NOT AT ALL. TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO YOU WERE. I KNOW ALOT OF THE SRT GUYS AND I AM GLAD, THEY ARE NOT LIKE YOU.

:roll: :roll: STRAIGHT LINES FOREVER :roll: :roll:

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
BUTT HURT, NOT AT ALL. TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHO YOU WERE. I KNOW ALOT OF THE SRT GUYS AND I AM GLAD, THEY ARE NOT LIKE YOU.

You came in this thread so I must have hit a nerve. Anyway. You don't know me at all. Look at all my posts here instead of the ones form today.

STRAIGHT LINES FOREVER Agreed!!!!

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 04:26 PM

You came in this thread so I must have hit a nerve. Anyway. You don't know me at all. Look at all my posts here instead of the ones form today.

STRAIGHT LINES FOREVER Agreed!!!!

AND YOU DON'T KNOW ME SON. SO BEFORE YOU TALK SHIT ON MY CAR, KNOW THE FACTS. I DON'T APPRECIATE SOME GUY, COMING ON HERE, TELLING ME MY CAR IS GHETTO. STARBUCKS RACING TEAM LIVES ON AS ASSHOLES! SEE YA FRIDAY AT METRO POINTE!

Tarmac02
08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
straight lines are boring,... so is doing left turns all day

get on a real track,... not saying SRTs can't turn,... just that most of them cant,... has something to do with looking like it's getting pounded doggystyle,

now my buddy has an SRT with a very nice suspension setup, that thing will embarass most WRXs that I know of...

ErroR
08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
As much as I love shit talking please keep it to a minimum. This thread was based on post restrictions leave it at that or take your shit talking to Off Topic.

EvoPwr
08-01-2005, 04:53 PM
As much as I love shit talking please keep it to a minimum. This thread was based on post restrictions leave it at that or take your shit talking to Off Topic.

Cr0mster
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't think restricting from posting in certain areas is the answer,... but maybe limiting the max number of posts you can make in a day to 5until you reach 50 posts,...

that will keep the hyper posting trolls to a limit while they've got everybody in an uproar,... also make it so you can't edit those posts

Hell ,.. we have knowledgeable contributing members that don't post that much even,.. so 5 per day is pretty generous

Ohh,... and NABR is gay, just my opinion, they care about correct spelling and punctuation more than actual information,... not saying there isn't some good stuff on there, but it's run by obsessive compulsive elementary english teachers

Going to have to agree with this. Sure there is tons of helpful info that comes from you guys with insane post counts but there is also tons of pointless rants, +1, and IBL posts to boost your numbers. I think you would be limiting some people by creating an area that requires +500-750 posts. They could have plenty of good info to contribute but don't tend to post as often as the rest of you.

One other possibility that could be a result of this idea is that the n00bs will start trying to post as much shit as they can to get to the magic number.

If people really wanted to help keep the tech forums clean, then start by ending all the quoting with nothing but a +1 attached to it. A simple thought out answer would be much more helpful and to the point than the usual count boosting reply. If you agree with what someone posted then state why. Don't just toss a +1 and be done with it. People like to see that advice that has been given is agreed upon, but state why you agree. At least that way people know you really thought it out and didn't just agree with it for the sake of looking like you know something and attempting to boost your post count.

Just my 2 cents...

slow4dr
08-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I made a new post in off-topic.

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11344&highlight=

Chris in SD
08-01-2005, 07:24 PM

WTF? Was that the solution?

You guys are lucky I am not a mod - half the threads on this board would get shit-canned...

gofaster87
08-01-2005, 07:36 PM

WTF? Was that the solution?

You guys are lucky I am not a mod - half the threads on this board would get shit-canned...

They should appoint either you or I as a mod.

gt40
08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
If we can't have a decent discussion about this without BOVBILLY and slow4dr etc trashing the thread, I am inclined to support just banning people who just waste my time and everyone else's with the spam.

This site is going towards irrelevancy with all the useless posts.

gofaster87
08-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Do it Mark!

BOVBILLY
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
MARK, I AGREE WITH YOU 110%. MY FAULT WAS, WAS WHEN LASHED OUT AT ME ABOUT MY CAR. THAT STRUCK A NERVE.

gt40
08-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Then take it to pm and hurt each other there... Just don't waste everyone's time spammin. I wasn't only talking about you but everyone needs to make this place more worthy.

SSwest
08-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Then take it to pm and hurt each other there... Just don't waste everyone's time spammin. I wasn't only talking about you but everyone needs to make this place more worthy.

HA!

Absinthe
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
If we can't have a decent discussion about this without BOVBILLY and slow4dr etc trashing the thread, I am inclined to support just banning people who just waste my time and everyone else's with the spam.

Mark you'd have to ban the whole OC crew.

j_nizzle
08-02-2005, 10:34 AM

no i promise we'll be good....don't do it!

ultraflip
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM

I’ll be first to admit that I’m one of the many that have posts on this site that normally have useless... or close to useless information... yet... aside from the OC meets thread and Off Topic Discussion Threads... I, amongst many have kept it clean to a certain extent.

Mark, as well as many others on this forum are highly respected individuals. To have such people say that a ban is in order for such things serves as a definite wake up call. To have Absinthe state that the whole OC crew should be banned states that way too many people from that area have crossed the line. Please keep in mind that the OC crew is one of the most active groups within the SoCalEvo community. Not all the groups here have meets virtually every day of the week. On top of that, not everyone from the OC crew has done wrong.

If needed be, then ban me... I don't believe eliminating such a large group on this forum would really help anything but decrease the size of what has become an astonishing # of enthusiests and supporting members here on SoCalEvo. If no ban, then rest assured that I’d take the responsibility in attempting to assist everyone in clean up the acts that our "OC Crew" has brought out of order.

I'm done,
-Flip

Absinthe
08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Dude relax I was implying that it would be pretty quiet around here with out you. Although the renzo jokes are getting old.

j_nizzle
08-02-2005, 11:06 AM

I’ll be first to admit that I’m one of the many that have posts on this site that normally have useless... or close to useless information... yet... aside from the OC meets thread and Off Topic Discussion Threads... I, amongst many have kept it clean to a certain extent.

Mark, as well as many others on this forum are highly respected individuals. To have such people say that a ban is in order for such things serves as a definite wake up call. To have Absinthe state that the whole OC crew should be banned states that way too many people from that area have crossed the line. Please keep in mind that the OC crew is one of the most active groups within the SoCalEvo community. Not all the groups here have meets virtually every day of the week. On top of that, not everyone from the OC crew has done wrong.

If needed be, then ban me... I don't believe eliminating such a large group on this forum would really help anything but decrease the size of what has become an astonishing # of enthusiests and supporting members here on SoCalEvo. If no ban, then rest assured that I’d take the responsibility in attempting to assist everyone in clean up the acts that our "OC Crew" has brought out of order.

I'm done,
-Flip

i'm with cris up until the whole banning him thing...granted i mouth off quite a bit on threads, but i try to do it in fun and between people i know fairly well. the oc crew is again, one of the most active groups in this forum. we'll start cleaning up.

on a lighter note, the oc crew will be assisting in a eagle project...why would you want to ban such good semaritan.

j_nizzle
08-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Dude relax I was implying that it would be pretty quiet around here with out you. Although the renzo jokes are getting old.

i dont know man, we stopped the renzo jokes...or at least i'm holding back because my original response to this post was, "what's life w/o renzo jokes?"

gt40
08-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I didn't say wholesale banning was in order although now that you mention it... :twisted:

Seriously, there is a place for useless posts- in the political and off topic sections. The problem is we have 20 or so people that collectively contributing to an avalanch of crap to wade through on most threads. That is tolerable in an off topic etc. thread. It has really gotten old on legit threads that provide real info.

If you spam on a tech thread, I say bring out the boot!

JanSolo
08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Mark, maybe we should just get a little more trigger happy with the delete post button.

MYFIRSTEVO
08-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm part of the OC crew, yes sometimes we are immaturish, but to be honest... to hang out with the boys is like a stress relief. OC crew have always been there when I need help. NO question asked!

I stand 100% with the OC boys. and also another thing... I think without the OC Crew... this forum will be boring. We know we spices up this forum board to entertain others.

Just something to think about.