PDA

View Full Version : any one tried this boost leak test

rsmatt
08-13-2005, 10:57 AM
i think i might have a boost leak and i was wondering if any of you have tried this method of finding it? also im sure this tester was made for a 14b turbo, is the intake inlet biger on the 16g? here is the link http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

gofaster87
08-13-2005, 03:28 PM
Yea, thats the most common method of testing. I have similiar rig thats setup for a compressor. Some guys use a tire valve and use a hand pump. Home depot should have most of the parts needed.

Skiracer
08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
I have done this test. I tried using a bike pump, but i couldn't get enough constant pressure into the car, plus the bike pump leaked so it was useless. However, it works perfectly fine if you use an air compressor. You're more than welcome to borrow my boost leak tester that i made following the directions on that site if you come to Marina del Rey.

wirespeed
08-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I have done this test. I tried using a bike pump, but i couldn't get enough constant pressure into the car, plus the bike pump leaked so it was useless. However, it works perfectly fine if you use an air compressor. You're more than welcome to borrow my boost leak tester that i made following the directions on that site if you come to Marina del Rey.
can i borrow it...i was just about to make one next week

Skiracer
08-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Sure, i'll be back home on Sunday after 5PM.

Skiracer
08-30-2005, 06:53 PM
Ok, here's my homeade boost leak tester which i obtained instructions from: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
I picked up the rubber coupler and end caps at home depot plumbing section and got a tire valve stem at Pep Boys.* All costing around $15 total.* The rubber coupler i used was 2" from end to end and i used 1.5" end caps to seal off any open holes. the vfaq site refers to using a 2.5" outter diameter hose, but the 2" from Home Depot will work with stock turbo as long as the end of the pipes taper out to larger than 2".* An air compressor is a must! Do yourself a favor and don't attempt to use a bike pump since i tried it and the bike pump cannot push enough constant PSI into the turbo inlet.* Also, it helps to have a spray bottle filled with soapy water to find the hard to hear air leaks.* Good luck.* BTW, i found my leak from a faulty BOV and the vaccum hose line going into the BOV was cracked.

http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_109-0912_IMG.JPG

kimletrim
08-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Skiracer, I still don't see how a 2" tube would work when the turbo compressor inlet is 2.5". I could not find anything at Home Depot in a 2.5" size.

Skiracer
08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Skiracer, I still don't see how a 2" tube would work when the turbo compressor inlet is 2.5".* I could not find anything at Home Depot in a 2.5" size.

The tube itself is 2" and the item description is listed as 2" on home depot's sales tag, but the coupling of the pipe (where the metal hose clamps are) tapers to a larger size and it will slip over the inlet valve. Look closely at my pic...