PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Quieting a big turbo evo...

gt40
08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
With all the increased enforcement on "modified exhausts", Â*I am going to try adding this to my existing exhaust:

I am running an AVO exhaust with an RRE rallycat along with my 3076 turbo car. Â*Adding a bigger turbo made a significant increase in the noise level of my car and I am hoping this will quiet it. Â*

I plan to put it in between the cat and the rear muffler.

I will measure before and after levels but I am hoping I can create a quieter than stock free flowing exhaust by adding this. Â*I may also try putting the stock cat back to measure the difference and will post results after I put it on.

G20
09-04-2005, 09:52 AM
With all the increased enforcement on "modified exhausts", *I am going to try adding this to my existing exhaust: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/parts/12641.jpg

I am running an AVO exhaust with an RRE rallycat along with my 3076 turbo car. *Adding a bigger turbo made a significant increase in the noise level of my car and I am hoping this will quiet it. *

I plan to put it in between the cat and the rear muffler.

I will measure before and after levels but I am hoping I can create a quieter than stock free flowing exhaust by adding this. *I may also try putting the stock cat back to measure the difference and will post results after I put it on.

Any update on this? Thanks.

evomrguy
09-04-2005, 03:11 PM
My buddy threw one of these on his eclipse because it was too loud. It didnt make that much of a difference. Hopefully it works better in your case.

gevo
09-05-2005, 12:50 PM
I think Ryan at R&R put in 5 resonators for the same reason on his Gt35r shop car. He said it was still very loud.

gt40
09-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Update:

The long muffler doesn't quite fit :-(Â* I got a special magnaflow rear muffler from Road Race Engineering and replaced the rear muffler on the AVO with it and put in a new high flow cat.Â* Â*

I also wrapped the downpipe and that seemed to help.Â* Painted everything black with a straight 3" pipe out the back.Â* Now the car looks stocker than a stock evo and is quiet:)

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10080/muffler.jpg

hksevo8
09-05-2005, 08:57 PM
have you noticed any performance increase/decrease?

Skiracer
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
You need a resonator for the hidden flux capacitor you have on your car... :skid:

gt40
09-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I log with an ems and it was a hair leaner than with the avo. The fuel map is a vol efficiency map of the motor so I guess that is a long winded way to say yes- the car is few hp up on the logs.

I am guessing it is the fact that the avo was 2.75 dia in the muffler and now I have a true 3" straight through with the rre magnaflow. As far as feel- it is basically the same and I wouldn't have noticed the difference except for the log on the ems saying I needed to add a little fuel up top from 7000 to 8500.

It was really fun to cut up the perfectly good avo exhaust, btw :twisted:

Skiracer
09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
THat's a $900 catback you just hacked! :-o

tama_mog
09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Hate to say it, but I told you so. =P

WOT
09-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Do you have any plans on selling the avo muffler? If so, I would be interested.

Knower
09-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I log with an ems and it was a hair leaner than with the avo. The fuel map is a vol efficiency map of the motor so I guess that is a long winded way to say yes- the car is few hp up on the logs.

I am guessing it is the fact that the avo was 2.75 dia in the muffler and now I have a true 3" straight through with the rre magnaflow. As far as feel- it is basically the same and I wouldn't have noticed the difference except for the log on the ems saying I needed to add a little fuel up top from 7000 to 8500.

It was really fun to cut up the perfectly good avo exhaust, btw :twisted:

Bah, big turbo my ass. You just have a stocker 16g on there. :P

See below for an example of how quiet a full 3" exhaust can be:
Quicktime Video (RIGHT CLICK - SAVE AS) (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/knower/images/shinobu_temp/DSCN5602.MOV)

Smogrunner
09-13-2005, 07:17 AM
I am definitely in need of a quieter exhaust. I'm planning on getting either a true hgih-flow cat or the rally cat and a different muffler.

BTW, is the rally cat is the one that is 3" straight through but has the CAT material around the walls? I've seen two great CATs at RRE, one straight through cat and one more legit model that is super high-flowing. Even the legit one isn't CARB legal though....

Absinthe
09-13-2005, 09:40 AM
I am definitely in need of a quieter exhaust. I'm planning on getting either a true hgih-flow cat or the rally cat and a different muffler.

BTW, is the rally cat is the one that is 3" straight through but has the CAT material around the walls? I've seen two great CATs at RRE, one straight through cat and one more legit model that is super high-flowing. Even the legit one isn't CARB legal though....

why not just run the same cat Scot does on his 1g, fairly sure its a magnaflo modle but ask him to be sure, between that and a resonator you should help to pull down the noise level some.

tama_mog
09-13-2005, 11:45 AM
If you guys are looking for a quiet exhaust setup that flows awesome, have RRE take care of you. The exhaust (downpipe, rally cat, magnaflow catback) they built me is awesome. Flows great, made 425whp on 91 octane, and literally the thing is a tad whince above stock in terms of sound. All you hear is my motor and the exhaust the quiet as hell. I find it funny when I see other cars that make no power and sound like an airplane with a titanium exhaust or whatever else fartcan you can find out there. There's just no place for that in CA.

Knower
09-13-2005, 02:55 PM

The rally cat is not a cat at all (hence the "rally" part of it's moniker, implying off road use only). It has some heat shields surrounding it that make it look similar to a cat. A proper high flow cat will be more expensive, but will save you from cops smelling your obvious lack of a cat, and is not a serious performance loss. I would go high flow cat for sure. Make sure you get a couple different length resonators and a good muffler.

If you guys are looking for a quiet exhaust setup that flows awesome, have RRE take care of you. The exhaust (downpipe, rally cat, magnaflow catback) they built me is awesome. Flows great, made 425whp on 91 octane, and literally the thing is a tad whince above stock in terms of sound. All you hear is my motor and the exhaust the quiet as hell. I find it funny when I see other cars that make no power and sound like an airplane with a titanium exhaust or whatever else fartcan you can find out there. There's just no place for that in CA.

I fixed my link from an earlier post. This is tama_mog's RRE built exhaust. Quieted Evo exhaust I've heard by far and it's straight 3" from the turbo back with only a rally cat, two resonators, and a magnaflow muffler with 3" smaller than stock tip:
Quicktime Video (RIGHT CLICK - SAVE AS) (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/knower/images/shinobu_temp/DSCN5602.MOV)

gt40
09-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Update: I really appreciate not having a loud car. RRE magnaflow and high flow cat combo works pretty good. Wrapping the dp also really does help. I may still add a resonator or 2 but it doesn't set off alarms any more when I go into the underground parking at work...

nj1266
09-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Here is the sound of my Invidia cat-back. I do not have a dp nor a HFC. I will install these over the weekend and see how loud it gets. The Invidia has a resonator.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/EVO/invidia_sound.wmv

It is a very quiet exhaust and the tip is the same size as stock. The tip sticks out beyond the bumper to prevent bumper soot and bumper burn.

thugline
09-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Sounds decent O0

AlexEvo
09-29-2006, 12:57 AM
has anyone tried or know someone whos tried the borla catback w/downpipe/HFC and/or magnaflow with same setup? i know borla makes their exhausts legal(at least i think they do).

trinydex
09-29-2006, 12:36 PM
even if they make it legal... it's not as if you won't get pulled over for it. people get pulled over for stock exhausts around here.

AlexEvo
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
triny, i guess its what we have to live with unless we all want to ride harleys and/or drive 69 camaros with no mufflers....

gt40
09-29-2006, 11:03 PM
New problem has emerged: My nice maniflow cat has turned into a rally cat! the insides just clean blew out and it is full 3 " through now. Must of been one of those 3rd gear pulls to redline and burping a fireball of race gas :p

Myevo8
09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
has anyone tried or know someone whos tried the borla catback w/downpipe/HFC and/or magnaflow with same setup? i know borla makes their exhausts legal(at least i think they do).

I had the Borla on the car when i already bought it used. With a stock cat it was decently quiet. No droning or anything but a just deep tones even at wot. Anything going beyond no-cat will only get a blue and red light on you. Without a hfc or stocker cat its too and i mean TOO damned loud. hope this helps. 8)

AlexEvo
10-01-2006, 01:01 PM
myevo8, i was thinking about the UR HFC with borla catback/magnaflow catback(non JDM style), or Fujitbuso Legalis-R(non cannister style). HFC supports enough power that test pipe isnt really needed right? unless you're going for like 600whp. with HFC will those exhausts be quiet enough? or with an HFC am i able to run a louder exhaust like a blitz nur spec R?

05-EVO-GSR
11-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Anything going beyond no-cat will only get a blue and red light on you. Without a hfc or stocker cat its too and i mean TOO damned loud. hope this helps. 8)

I have to disagree with you. I currently have a RRE GT3076R Turbo with RRE Rally Cat and RRE Stealth Catback and it is as quiet as stock under WOT.

tuner
01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
My large turbo (3076) setup is really surprisingly quiet and we ran it at Laguna Seca and did not get black flagged for noise.Â* Noise is similiar or perhaps less than stock turbo with 3" exhaust and high flow cat. Heres what we used;Â* Complete 3" system with 321 stainless stealth tubular header, Jet Hot black coating on header, wrapped down pipe, straight through pipe welded inside high flow cat body, 12"x3" resonater, 18"x3" resonater and HKS muffler.Â* For Laguna I added a 90 degree elbow at the muffler tip.Â* BTW the HKS muffler is a bit expensive but is clearly a bit quieter than my other muffler which is a Magnaflow.Â* This setup made 420 WHP on a Mustang Dyno on 91 octane and a good dose of meth.Â* Hope this helps someone.

fusionchicken
01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
question: is it better to use 2 resonators that add up to 3 feet in total, or just a 3 feet resonator will be the same? i ask because i have a 3 feet one-piece resonator, wondering if 2 pieces (one 12, the other 18'') will help more (doubt it)

also where can i get some of the dp wrap, and isn't wrapping the dp hurtful for performance because it'll keep the air in the dp warmer...?

trinydex
01-18-2007, 10:59 PM
one piece is best.

fusionchicken
01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
thanks Davy. what about the 2nd question regarding wrapping the dp and trappin heat inside the pipe thus reducing performance? i'm all for quieting down my tbe more....

this is probably stupid, but would wrapping the test pipe/midpipe of the catback help with reducing noise too? lol

trinydex
01-20-2007, 12:36 AM
if you want to reduce noise get resonators, not wrap.

fusionchicken
01-20-2007, 12:56 AM
darn i'm maxxed out on my resonators already haha

JDMC-WestEVO
01-20-2007, 01:55 AM
i have my stock exhaust and cat on......BUT i have right as the downpipe comes off the turbo a 3" cut out :) i leave it open all the time its loud as all hell and pops flames constantly lol. knock on wood i've passed a few cops and CHP and no trouble. i lost some bottom end power but my turbo response is almost instant and up top it pulls HARD. sounds like a big turbo with open wastegate dump. only problem is the idle is lopey like if i had big cams. i will start a thread with pics and sound clip as soon as i find all my stuff to hook up camera to my comp i just moved so everything is lost lol.

*chris*
01-20-2007, 03:00 PM
^^^^im lost as to why youd want to do that to begin with??

bzzbee2
04-07-2007, 11:15 AM
So is there any diffeerence between the RRE highflow cat and a magnaflow high flow cat you would buy somewhere else? RRE costs about 200, the magnaflow high flow cat elsewhere costs less than 100. I got the RRE high flow and love it. but it did makee the car a bit louder..

fusionchicken
04-07-2007, 03:12 PM
yea the hfc would be louder than the stock Cat, and test pipe even resonated louder than a hfc...not sure what the difference btwn both brands are.

CharlieGsanD
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
im not having any probs with the exhaust, but im running a 3076 & the whistle from the turbo spooling in the 4" surge ported housing is almost louder than my exhaust. to the point where id be afraid to drive next to the police up an incline as the sound makes it quite obvious the car is modified.... already switched from a K&N to a denser filter & that helped some, ive been thinking about adding one of those pre-filters you see on buggies etc..out in the desert, but not shure how much it will help. not to mention looking rather out of place on a street car.

anyone else had to deal with this or have any ideas/input on how to quiet the INTAKE side, short of using the stock airbox?

tabio42
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Attach a 2" ID U-shaped tube somewhere along your intake?

StockEVO
04-20-2007, 11:15 AM
That is not going to help. Stock airbox and intake tube made from EPDM rubber with a accordion shape to it, just like the stock intake tube. Now wouldn't that be so cool if someone made a 4" rubber intake that look identicle to the factory one?

tabio42
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
That is not going to help. Stock airbox and intake tube made from EPDM rubber with a accordion shape to it, just like the stock intake tube. Now wouldn't that be so cool if someone made a 4" rubber intake that look identicle to the factory one?

You're not going to help....

StockEVO
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I been trying to find someone who can make it cheap enough to sell and not worry about dormroom.com/evo.htm or eBay to compete against with.

trinydex
04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
would you just get a 4" corrogated drain duct and wrap it around your black painted al intake pipe?

StockEVO
04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Chemistry 101. When you heat up PVC. What kind of gas does it release? :uglystupid2:

So for those of you who like to do things yourself. Stay away from Home Depot or any home improvement stores,please. That's why they call home improvement not automotive improvement. :grin:

4" drain duct? Sure that would work. If you don't mind buying a new Upper I/C Pipe or geting one made, relocate the upper and lower radiator hose, and switch to a push type clutch to get rid of that clutch slave that is sticking out. If you dont mind hacking i'm sure it will fit. Beside I'm going for the OEM look not "Powered by Home Depot" look. :2funny:

earlyapex
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_mod.jpeg

trinydex
04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
peekaboo?

FastForward
04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
is that possible?^^.......what kind of filter is that? Im looking for a small filter like that to replace the broken HKS one that I have.

tabio42
04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Not possible. Total photoshoppage!

G20
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
too small of a filter may affect the performance.

j_nizzle
04-24-2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/stealth_mod.jpeg

can you please pm the details on how to do this!? more or less the filter size, brand.

b00stedPin0y
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Can you please pm me also, I really need a custom intake like this one really bad.

Evorob
05-01-2007, 02:43 AM
To those of you running the rally cat from RRE, how is the smellyness of your exhaust? is it pretty bad? I'm sure it is as it is basically just a testpipe but i was just wonderin how you guys noticed the smell, would a cop be all over you due to the smell even tho its not loud?

EvoJoe
06-16-2007, 11:35 AM
To those of you running the rally cat from RRE, how is the smellyness of your exhaust? is it pretty bad? I'm sure it is as it is basically just a testpipe but i was just wonderin how you guys noticed the smell, would a cop be all over you due to the smell even tho its not loud?

It smells just like a test piped exhaust. In otherwords, it stinks. I find that it's a little quieter than a regular test pipe.