PDA

View Full Version : Snowboard/Ski????

hawaiiboy
08-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Anybody here do either??? I was wondering if anyone has hit up Mt.High before and if it's worth the money. They are selling season passes for $249 from now till october 1st. They also have a rail jam this Saturday I wanted to go to but need to purchase a season pass to session the rails. Any feedback would be great before I buy a pass. Thanks for looking. O0

tommygun
08-30-2005, 11:32 PM
yeah i snowboard and i dont really like mt high because their snowfall and fake snow never really matches up to bear or mammoth or do the limited number of runs i suppose they are getting better but i'd say wait for bear to get a season pass

lznk41
08-31-2005, 12:13 AM
DO NOT get a season pass at mountain high. the 100 dollars u spend more on a bear season pass is WELL worth it. ive been snowboarding 6 years and have broken bah i dont know how many bones but the funny thing is, ITS ALWAYS at mt high. dont know why maybe i just have bad luck. the resort is of poor quality and the drive there is boring as well. driving to bear in an evo on the other hand.... u get my point.

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 06:16 AM
If you want to buy a season pass local, go for Big Bear mountain. The whole mountain is just 1 big snowboard park. Or, if you're willing to drive 5 hours, go to Mammoth which i do have a season pass. If you ever wanna go with me, hit me up during the winter...

hawaiiboy
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
thanks for replies guys. well, i guess i wont go to mthigh. I wanted to do the rail jam this saturday. they're trucking in 80 tons of snow and 5 rails. thought it would be fun but maybe not worth buying a season pass. anybody know when big bear will have their season pass available?? Skiracer, i'll hit you up in the winter. For sure I want to check out Mammoth. I heard that place is pretty good. I boarded brighton, snowbird, and park city the last 3 years while I was living in Utah so I figured I might as well continue here in Cali. Thanks again O0

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
You can check here for rates: http://www.bearmtn.com/

Sly Evo
08-31-2005, 02:36 PM
haha i think we should have a evo snowboard/ski meet =P

rubelcon
08-31-2005, 02:37 PM

Good Idea! Then I can show you guys who OWNS the mountain.... :idiot2:

hawaiiboy
08-31-2005, 03:06 PM

that would be sweet!!! i'm sure there's tons of evo owners that board or ski. it would be a cool pic with a bunch of evos in the mountains in the background covered in snow. I can't wait for it to start snowing :D

SpdyEvo02
08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
sounds like fun i just need to get a new board

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
O0

http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_00300012.jpg

http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_MammothMarch%20027.jpg

Me doing donuts in the snow:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=4CC76FC8-C4A1-4DA1-AF62-CE3A4B02B718&term=mammoth&p=0

SpdyEvo02
08-31-2005, 03:36 PM
nice pics the second one looks real fun

bbar
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
If you’re in college (or have a laminator), you can get a June Mountain season pass for $99. June is about 20 minutes north of Mammoth with the same snow, pretty much no lift lines whatsoever, amazing parks, and cooler people. Plus, on windy afternoons, June doesn’t get all blown-out like Mammoth (well, not nearly as bad). And if you’re into rails, June’s parks are “jib-tacular”. The drawback is that it about a 6 hour drive from so cal.

Absinthe
08-31-2005, 04:41 PM
skiracer what do you do for a place in Mamoth? we should hit up mamoth or tahoe now my ankle has healed...

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
skiracer what do you do for a place in Mamoth?* we should hit up mamoth or tahoe now my ankle has healed...

If i don't feel like driving, i take a group chartered bus departing from Van Nuys and the group usually reserves a few condos. I either go with the Asian Ski & Board Club of LA http://www.asbcla.org/ or i go with these guys: http://www.newhorizontours.com/

If i'm driving there i usually get a hotel room myself but its a tad more expensive than the group trip.

hawaiiboy
08-31-2005, 05:49 PM
nice pics O0 I like that natural tunnel. Is that at Mammoth??

e.n.d.
08-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi my name is e.n.d., and I snowboard at mt. high... [Hi e.n.d.]

No really, I have my season pass there and occasionally go to bear and summit. I go there cuz I do a lot of night sessions since it is less crowded, it's easy to just drive up whenever... I think it's easier to practice there since the runs are shorter. I only started two seasons ago, and I'll probably grow out of mt. high after this season. But if you're just starting out its not bad.

Bear and Summit passes are a few bills more for the Anytime passes, plus only summit has night sessions. Last year it seemed like mt. high got as much snow as bear or even more. If anybody can pull some stats I'd like to see. I know because after a storm I'd compare snowfall between the two...

Great season last year btw.. I remember going to bear on Oct. 31 or Nov. 1 last season. It would be nice to start early again.

genrec
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM

Good Idea! Then I can show you guys who OWNS the mountain....* :idiot2:

exactly.....im game...just not at MT.DRY..oh i meant HIGH...does it really ever snow their.. :grin:

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
i followed mthigh's snowfall last year and they got tons of snow.* all the storms that came through just kept dumping.* e.nd., maybe i'll go session with you once to see if what mthigh is like.* hopefully it will be as good as last season. O0

Mt. High is mall, plus the terrain is not as fun as big bear since Bear Mountain is dedicated to all snowboarding with jibs, rails, etc. on every trail!

hawaiiboy
08-31-2005, 10:31 PM
skiracer, how long have you been skiing?? sounds like you've been for awhile. i think i'll take your recommendations on good spots. i.e., mammoth, big bear, etc...

hawaiiboy
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi my name is e.n.d., and I snowboard at mt. high...* [Hi e.n.d.]

No really, I have my season pass there and occasionally go to bear and summit.* I go there cuz I do a lot of night sessions since it is less crowded, it's easy to just drive up whenever...* I think it's easier to practice there since the runs are shorter.* I only started two seasons ago, and I'll probably grow out of mt. high after this season.* But if you're just starting out its not bad.

Bear and Summit passes are a few bills more for the Anytime passes, plus only summit has night sessions.* Last year it seemed like mt. high got as much snow as bear or even more.* If anybody can pull some stats I'd like to see.* I know because after a storm I'd compare snowfall between the two...

Great season last year btw..* I remember going to bear on Oct. 31 or Nov. 1 last season.* It would be nice to start early again.

doesn't the snow freeze over during the night sessions??

Skiracer
08-31-2005, 10:37 PM
I never skiied nights locally, but the temperatures don't get too warm during the daytime, so it might not get iced over. but trust me if u had to get a season pass, do Bear Mountain. I've been skiing for over 15 years.

e.n.d.
09-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey um.. what kind of tires do you guys run?? I know it's probably stupid but has anybody found a summer tire that is good enough for light snow in the mountains here? If not, what kind of all season do you guys like?

hawaiiboy
09-02-2005, 02:16 PM
stupid, i know :D But I used the advans for winter driving and it actually did fine. but maybe someone else here can chime in on what's better to use for winter driving... ^-^

Absinthe
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
ok there is some miss information here:

Mt high get more snow than big bear more than 2x 160 avg inches vs 75 for bear mount/snow summit. Last year was more dramatic with only 160 inches for bear/snow and much more for Mt high and Baldy. So given that the only baby mountain I ride socal is Mt baldy after a large dump. last year the were running on a 10 to 15 foot base for months it was teh shit for being so close.

Also for crusing Mt high east has some of the longest runs in socal.

I should preface this with the fact I ski, I am not as good as I once was due to age and injury but I can still hold my own. That said a day in the park sounds like hell to me give me steep, and tree or mogul infested with the ocaisional small cliff drop and I am in heaven.

Skiracer
09-02-2005, 03:57 PM
If you plan on skiing Big Bear or Mt. HIgh or other local mountains, MSS rated tires should be suffice. If you plan on going to Mammoth a lot, i'd recommend dedicated winter tires
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_105-0551_IMG.JPG
Go to the resort webiste, then click on the link for WEATHER, then click on link for CURRENT ROAD CONDITIONS.* You will run into the R1 and R2 road conditions described below if its snowing up there.

For you Californians, here is the CHP's regulations on tire chain regulations:
http://www.chp.ca.gov//html/winter_driving.html

Winter driving on roads and highways in the snow-capped mountains of California can be a pleasant adventure - or it can be frustrating, tiring and sometimes even hazardous. The California Highway Patrol provides the following information to help make your mountain driving safe and pleasant.

Before Heading for Snow Country:

Make sure your brakes, windshield wipers,defroster, heater and exhaust system are in top condition.
Check your antifreeze and be ready for colder temperatures. You may want to add special solvent to your windshield washer reservoir to prevent icing.
Check your tires. Make sure they are properly inflated and the tread is in good condition.
Always carry chains. Make sure they are the proper size for your tires and are in working order. Carry a flashlight and chain repair links. Chains must be installed on the drive wheels. Make sure you know if your vehicle is front or rear wheel drive.
Other suggested items to carry in your car are an ice scraper or commercial deicer, a broom for brushing snow off your car, a shovel to free your car if it's "snowed in," sand or burlap for traction if your wheels should become mired in snow; and an old towel to clean your hands.
It is also a good idea to take along water, food, warm blankets and extra clothing. A lengthy delay will make you glad you have them.
Put an extra car key in your pocket. A number of motorists have locked themselves out of their cars when putting on chains and at ski areas.
Allow enough time. Trips to the mountains can take longer during winter than other times of year, especially if you encounter storm conditions or icy roads. Get an early start and allow plenty of time to reach your destination.
Keep your gas tank full. It may be necessary to change routes or turn back during a bad storm or you may be caught in a traffic delay.
Keep windshield and windows clear. You may want to stop at a safe turnout to use a snow or, ice or scraper. Use the car defroster and a clean cloth to keep the windows free of fog.
Slow down. A highway speed of 55 miles an hour may be safe in dry weather - but an invitation for trouble on snow and ice. Snow and ice make stopping distances much longer, so keep your seat belt buckled and leave more distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead. Bridge decks and shady spots can be icy when other areas are not. Remember to avoid sudden stops and quick direction changes.
Be more observant. Visibility is often limited in winter by weather conditions. Slow down and watch for other vehicles and for snow equipment. Even though snow removal vehicles have flashing lights, visibility may be so restricted during a storm that it is difficult to see the slow moving equipment.
When stalled, stay with your vehicle and try to conserve fuel while maintaining warmth. Be alert to any possible exhaust or monoxide problems.
Chain Requirements

R1: Chains required - snow tread tires (MSS on side of tire) allowed.

R2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives with snow tires.

R3: Chains required - all vehicles no exceptions.

R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.

Chain Controls

You must stop and put on chains when highway signs indicate chains are required. You can be cited by the California Highway Patrol and fined if you don't. You will usually have about a mile between "Chains Required" signs and the checkpoint to install your chains.
Control areas can change rapidly from place to place because of changing weather and road conditions. The speed limit when chains are required is 25 or 30 miles and hour and will be posted along the highway.
When you must put on chains, wait until you can pull completely off the roadway to the right. Do not stop in a traffic lane where you will endanger yourself and block traffic.
Chain Installers: If you use the services of a chain installer, be sure to get a receipt and jot the installer's badge number on it. Remember, chain installers are independent business people, not CHP employees. Having the badge number may help with any misunderstandings later. Chain installers are NOT allowed to sell or rent chains.
When removing chains, drive beyond the signs reading "End Chain Control" to a pull-off area where you can safely remove them.
ROAD CONDITIONS HOTLINE

The CHP urges you to check road conditions often. The best way to do this is to call the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) Road Conditions Hotline: 1-800-427-ROAD (1-800-427-7623)

hawaiiboy
09-02-2005, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info. :D

cjcollas
09-03-2005, 12:30 AM
If anyone is going to the mountain high competition tommorow. Hit me up ill be either in the red evo, or hitting up the rails.* O0 . Ill also be at the hot dog and hand rails comp at bear mountain. Peace... Chris

sidewaysevo
09-03-2005, 01:30 AM
I hate Mt. High. I checked my board, and they lost it! The security guards are assholes too! They thought i made the whole story up.

cjcollas
09-03-2005, 04:28 AM
LoL evo i got my season pass suspended for like the last 2 months of the season cause i kept talking shit to one of the security guards ( i really dont like that guy :knuppel2: ). Mt high security are definatley assholes.

lznk41
09-05-2005, 03:38 AM
well i dont have an evo "yet" but most likely i will by the time during the middle of the season (dec/jan-ish) and i REALLY think that a snowboard/ski trip is a must. im pretty sure a handful of people on this forum snowboard/ski and what a trip it would be. mountain driving/ snowboarding/ lodging and beers and whatnot/ and even MORE mountain driving (after sobering up of course ;)) . we shuld plan!!

hawaiiboy
09-07-2005, 10:08 PM
If anyone is going to the mountain high competition tommorow. Hit me up ill be either in the red evo, or hitting up the rails.* O0 .* Ill also be at the hot dog and hand rails comp at bear mountain. Peace... Chris

so did you end up going? How was the rails? I saw the new rails on the mthigh website. Looked like fun!!

hawaiiboy
11-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Mammoth's website says its opening up on the 10th. anyone going? looks the weather will not be good enough for mt high to open this weekend... :'(

Skiracer
11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Mammoth's website says 12-18" base. Not worth to drive 5 hours for that. However, i'll be in Utah early December O0

hawaiiboy
11-08-2005, 05:50 PM
what resort you going to in Utah?? Me and my wife planned a trip to go up there during christmas break. Most likely I'll be boarding at Brighton and The Canyons. Can't wait... O0

Skiracer
11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
what resort you going to in Utah??* Me and my wife planned a trip to go up there during christmas break.* Most likely I'll be boarding at Brighton and The Canyons.* Can't wait... O0

I'll be at ALta/Snowbird, powder capital of the USA :coolsmiley: but i believe one of those 2 resorts don't allow boarders...

hawaiiboy
11-08-2005, 06:05 PM
what resort you going to in Utah??* Me and my wife planned a trip to go up there during christmas break.* Most likely I'll be boarding at Brighton and The Canyons.* Can't wait... O0

I'll be at ALta/Snowbird, powder capital of the USA* * *:coolsmiley:* but i believe one of those 2 resorts don't allow boarders...

"Why Ski Alta?

SNOWBOARDING NOT ALLOWED!!
#1 Powder-SKIING Mag
#1 Snow-SKI Mag
#1 Area in the US(AltaSnowbird)-SKIING Mag
#3 Overall(AltaSnowbird)-FREESKIER Mag"

Skiracer
11-08-2005, 07:08 PM

I'll be at ALta/Snowbird, powder capital of the USA* * *:coolsmiley:* but i believe one of those 2 resorts don't allow boarders...

"Why Ski Alta?

SNOWBOARDING NOT ALLOWED!!
#1 Powder-SKIING Mag
#1 Snow-SKI Mag
#1 Area in the US(AltaSnowbird)-SKIING Mag
#3 Overall(AltaSnowbird)-FREESKIER Mag"

Snowbird is right next to Alta and there's a trail where u can ski between the two.

hawaiiboy
11-08-2005, 07:20 PM
alta/snowbird, nice resorts. highly recommend if you haven't been to utah to ski or snowboard, go!!. good snow there...you wont regret it. O0

Absinthe
11-15-2005, 05:43 PM
alta/snowbird, nice resorts.* highly recommend if you haven't been to utah to ski or snowboard, go!!.* good snow there...you wont regret it. O0

alta doesnt allow snowboards :-P

Skiracer
11-15-2005, 06:56 PM
alta/snowbird, nice resorts.* highly recommend if you haven't been to utah to ski or snowboard, go!!.* good snow there...you wont regret it. O0

alta doesnt allow snowboards* :-P

Well, the lame boarders can just go to Snowbird since the 2 resorts are interconnected O0

Absinthe
11-16-2005, 11:19 AM

alta doesnt allow snowboards* :-P

Well, the lame boarders can just go to Snowbird since the 2 resorts are interconnected* O0

true but there's a patrol gate upto that wont let them in...so nice not to have them messing iup the snow

Racing Chick
11-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I snowboard and was wondering how bording tears up the snow? :?

sevensnow
11-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Boarding doesn't tear up the snow any more than skiing. In fact, if you look at predominently skied mountains, the trails get rougher, sooner. On powder days, skiiers make moguls, whereas boarders just knock the snow around in random patterns. Im not knocking one or the other, I do both.

Skiracer
11-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Moguls rock!!! O0 Courdouroy (did i spell that right?) trails are evil...

Absinthe
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Boarding doesn't tear up the snow any more than skiing. In fact, if you look at predominently skied mountains, the trails get rougher, sooner. On powder days, skiiers make moguls, whereas boarders just knock the snow around in random patterns. Im not knocking one or the other, I do both.

snowboarders (bad ones) sometimes ski beyond their ability becuase if the terrain gets to steep or narrow they can just heelside slide down, this is especially an issue on runs like National at squaw were every wants to ski it because its in the Pallisades. This slipping option while open to skiers is much less frequently used and skiers tend to stretch their levels less.

Oh and bumps are a sign the run was to easy when it was flat.

hawaiiboy
11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Mt. High Announced their opening day is tomorrow....anyone going???

Skiracer
11-27-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll be in Utah this week where it snowed 20+" in the past 24 hours!

hawaiiboy
11-27-2005, 10:25 PM
you suck.... :D My brother and sister go to school in Salt Lake City. They were here for the thanksgiving weekend. they just left this morning.... :'( They said its freakin' freezing up there. Have fun bro!! I'm so jealous... :-\

hawaiiboy
12-04-2005, 09:16 PM
BUMP!!! Now that it's ski/snowboarding season, I think we should have a meet for all those that like to ski/snowboard. Would there be any interest in doing this? Suggestions on date, time of day, location, etc......Post up if you have any ideas/suggestions... O0

Skiracer
12-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Charterered bus trips to Mammoth + condo:
http://newhorizontours.com/
http://www.asbcla.org/

j_nizzle
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
my uncle has a cabin about a 10 minute drive from snow summit! i think i'll hit that up after finals! which is next week!!!

Blaze
12-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Mt. High Announced their opening day is tomorrow....anyone going???

I just bought season passes to big bear.
Not a lot of slopes open there yet. :'(

SpdyEvo02
12-04-2005, 11:21 PM
my uncle has a cabin about a 10 minute drive from snow summit! i think i'll hit that up after finals! which is next week!!!

finals already mine arent till after christmas break

i cant wait to go snowboarding i would be down to go sometime

Skiracer
12-05-2005, 09:03 AM
I just spent the past 4 days in Alta, Utah where we got 30" of snow the past 4 days O0

silvery_eagle
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
i'm going to bear mountain tomorrow bringing my family ... total of 8 peoples.. damn expensive lift + school + equipment.
any suggestion?

Skiracer
12-16-2005, 12:09 PM
The entire Bear Mountain is a terrain park. Snow Summit is more of a traditional ski slope.

GenerAznX
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
i go to mammoth almost every weekend during the winter. Skiracer comes with us from time to time. PM me if you are interesting in going. I will be leaving tonight for the weekend, mammoth is definately worth the trip if you havent been.

ebevo
01-31-2006, 09:24 AM
just got invited to mt.high by my coworkers...never been sb or skiing...1st time wahoo :-P

read the entire 4 pages...sounds like mt. high is right for me to start off sb

planning to just spend the day there and drive home later

how's the drive up to mt. high...safe to take the evo up there(road conditions & parking sercuity???)...have stock tires with 4K on them btw?

going to rent my equipment @ sport chalet to see if i like sb

anyone know a cheap place to pick up some water resistant gloves, pants, and jacket?

Blaze
01-31-2006, 09:29 AM
We're finally getting some descent coverage up there.
(Big Bear anyway).

Anyone down to hit up Big Bear this Sunday?

Skiracer
01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
I just spent an entire week skiing in Lake Tahoe O0

j_nizzle
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
going to mammoth in a 2-3weeks for the weekend and then going to tahoe for a weekend in march! sweet deal!

Skiracer
01-31-2006, 10:10 PM
going to mammoth in a 2-3weeks for the weekend and then going to tahoe for a weekend in march! sweet deal!

I'll be in Mammoth from the 24th-26th

j_nizzle
01-31-2006, 10:17 PM

I'll be in Mammoth from the 24th-26th

of february??!?! i should be up there then! we're taking my buddy's excursion!

GenerAznX
02-01-2006, 04:57 PM
i'll be in mammoth this weekend, next weekend, and the weekend after presidents day. Then its off to Jackson hole wyoming for a week!

bbar
02-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I’m heading up to June tomorrow. I have some friends in Mammoth so if they convince me to ride on a volcano with long lift lines, then I’ll be riding Mammoth for one of the days.