PDA

View Full Version : rallying...

kcross
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
who has set up their car for rallying, what have you done to it... ill start.

2005 evo mr
tien hg suspension
cusco rear sway
ap racing front calipers (to clear 15" wheels)
coleman 12" slotted rotors
aluminium hats
carbon kevlar skidplate
wrapped and dog eared rear lower control arms
center bearing guard
rear diff guard
15" enkie sport wheels
michilen dirt spec tires
floorpan guard (ordered)
fuel tank guard (ordered)
brake scrapers
intake and hoodscoop
cat delete
downpipe
catback exhaust
hks 272/272 cams
hks cam gears
technosquare engine management
exedy twin plate clutch/flywheel

anyone else?

Skiracer
09-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I got mudflaps and tires with some knarly treads
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_105-0551_IMG.JPG

rubelcon
09-06-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm Next!!

I have a WRC sticker. Group-N, Here I come!! *:laugh:

BTW, Kcross, did you have your suspension installed by RMR?

kcross
09-06-2005, 07:01 PM
yes i did, theyve done all my work that i dont do myself.

rubelcon
09-06-2005, 07:13 PM
yes i did, theyve done all my work that i dont do myself.

I thought that was you! Me have good memory, weed make me memory good!!

kcross
09-06-2005, 07:16 PM
howd you know.

apexstrafer
09-06-2005, 07:37 PM
post pics! I've always thought about going the gravel rally route with my car. about all I've got right now is a wrc sticker and enkei wrc wheels.

kcross
09-06-2005, 07:47 PM
most of my underprotection is off right now, but when i get it back together ill put some up... ill definatly take some when i get my brakes in because i can get 15" wheels with dirt tires on then, btw i have some parts that came off im selling to support the car... wheels and tires, brakes, suspension... etc. pm me if anyone is interested, ill post them in the for sale forum as soon as i have the 20 posts i need.

Skiracer
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM
15" wheels will clear the brake calipers??

kcross
09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
they wont clear the stock brembos by an eight of an inch or so so my only options were the 6000 dollar ap racing brakes, a set of the previous model ap front brakes (i wanted to do this but they are impossible to find), or what im going to do... go to a set of group n brakes, off of the homologated cars (we dont have any of those in the u.s. not even the rs seeing as it comes with the brembos too.)

apexstrafer
09-07-2005, 10:33 AM
how much do jdm/euro RS brakes run?

kcross
09-07-2005, 10:38 AM
i believe i was quoted something like 2700. i have a hard time keeping track of all the prices.

Dmoney
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
I got mudflaps and tires with some knarly treads*

MY MUDFLAPS!!!

thetaxguy
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM

MY MUDFLAPS!!!
:idiot2:

kcross
09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
why are we reposting the same picture? discuss.

Skiracer
09-09-2005, 07:10 PM

MY MUDFLAPS!!!
:idiot2:

Here's me putting my mudflaps & knarly tires to good use:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=4CC76FC8-C4A1-4DA1-AF62-CE3A4B02B718&term=evo%20mammoth&p=7

Evorob
09-16-2005, 04:43 PM
^ NICE! :twisted:

trackmango
10-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey Kcross, where are you located?

I am thinking about getting either the DMS 50mm or ohlines GR.N suspension. And underbody aluminum pieces from rallyart. So far I have done exhaust from turbo, and a few cusco braces.

the main thing is that I have not seen anyroads that I could rally on. All the roads I have explored in my suv were too bumpy for it...

rammsteinmatt
10-06-2005, 01:59 PM
kcross, can you post pics of your carbon kevlar hybrid skid plate? and how thick is it and where are the mounting points (i assume it is a full underbody skid plate)

Justin1933
10-06-2005, 02:42 PM

I am thinking about getting either the DMS 50mm or ohlines GR.N suspension. And underbody aluminum pieces from rallyart. So far I have done exhaust from turbo, and a few cusco braces.

the main thing is that I have not seen anyroads that I could rally on. All the roads I have explored in my suv were too bumpy for it...

Most of the good roads I have seen are out in the desert. Just past Victorville is a OHV area that has some good roads...I have also heard about some roads by the salton sea...

thetaxguy
10-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Most of the good roads I have seen are out in the desert.* Just past Victorville is a OHV area that has some good roads...I have also heard about some roads by the salton sea...

Do you happen to have directions to the general area?

Justin1933
10-06-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't have the roads near the salton sea....

As for the others: Off the 15 north, just before the outlet malls is the OHV area....You can try El Mirage dry lake bed as well....Smooth and open...Nice place to start.....

kcross
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM

well a group n suspension or something comperable to that is not only expensive (over $6000 in most cases) but also in many cases overkill, unless you plan on running checkpoint rallies competitively and (since scca pro rally checkpoint rallies have been eliminated because of insurance reasons) there arent really any major ones in the US. id suggest the tein hg gravel type suspension it competent enough for whatever your will probally do and cost about the same as a good set of coilovers. as for the aluminum pieces from ralliart... the ralliart pieces are tarmac rally underprotection and would become quickly destoryed/dented/etc. most teams now use carbon/kevlar materials. they can last for many season and still be effective (rmr used theirs for 3 full scca pro seasons and its still in tact.) there are are also a few more parts than they provide that youll want to protect that i dont believe ralliart provides.

as for my oil sump guard (skid plate) its 15(approx) layers of carbon and kevlar. it only protects the engine, oilsump, trans, etc. it goes from the intercooler back to the front axle. the mounting point are metal brackets welded onto the frame. as i said i have other pieces to protect other parts of the car such as a center bearing guard, rear diff guar, floorpan guard, rear lca protection, hardened front fender inserts.. and a few other things im sure ive forgot.

and i own land in yucca valley. it has fire acces roads so its fun to use.

apexstrafer
10-13-2005, 09:37 PM
post pics of your car already!

kcross
11-16-2005, 10:21 PM
http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/4152/dsc001489vn.th.jpg (http://img494.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc001489vn.jpg)

more to come, the car should finally be all together in mid december.

Macky
11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
that looks nice. i would want something like that done sometime in the future. doesnt hurt to protect the underside of the car O0

kcross
11-16-2005, 11:28 PM
it really takes a beating, there has even been an occasion (just a few days ago) that there was a manhole cover around which the asphalt had sunk. long story short the intersection before it was bumpy and my car bottomed out on the manhole cover and the entire car was supported on the sump guard (undertray) alone. scratched it but no cracks or real damage.

j_nizzle
11-16-2005, 11:29 PM
http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/4152/dsc001489vn.th.jpg (http://img494.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc001489vn.jpg)

more to come, the car should finally be all together in mid december.

wow! that must have cost a pretty penny...and by that a mean a girl named penny....

Macky
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
it really takes a beating, there has even been an occasion (just a few days ago) that there was a manhole cover that around which the asphalt had sunk around it. long story short the intersection before it was bumpy and my car bottomed out on the manhole cover and the entire car was supported on the sump guard (undertray) alone. scratched it but no cracks or real damage.

damn thats one strong piece then. well worth the money.

kcross
11-16-2005, 11:39 PM
its actually not terribly expensive. not cheap, but as you said, well worth it. ive even thought of selling this one and having a new one made that covers a little more.

wow! that must have cost a pretty penny...and by that a mean a girl named penny....

is there something about a girl you think you know about me, because you've alluded to it a number of times.

kcross
03-31-2006, 06:11 PM
i put up a few pictures if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=20549.msg6692309#msg6692309

shannon-evo
03-31-2006, 08:46 PM
I would like to take my evo out on gravel for some fun. Can you run the stock rims with different tires, or will I destroy them? I also have a set of DMS 50mm gravel coil overs that I was going to put on my RS, but I have been spending more time on tarmac.

gh0stch1ld
03-31-2006, 11:24 PM
I would like to take my evo out on gravel for some fun. Can you run the stock rims with different tires, or will I destroy them? I also have a set of DMS 50mm gravel coil overs that I was going to put on my RS, but I have been spending more time on tarmac.

I used my stock rims on a Toyo Tire Proxy 4 tires while rallying. Won't kill the rims unless their is alot of potholes or jumps.

gh0stch1ld
03-31-2006, 11:25 PM
All i have on the car for rallying now is a bunch of blue painters tape and mud flaps

kcross
04-01-2006, 02:25 PM
im more concerned about the mechanical saftey of the car. if your just doing rallycross you shouldnt do too much damage to anything because they pick surfaces with dirt/gravel that wont really hurt anything. but if your going to start seriously competeing theres a lot of work to do.

gh0stch1ld
04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
in all honesty, i only rally at places like Glen Helen raceway b/c if you spin out, you won't be hitting onto anything. Its one big flat dirt area with barely any pot holes, no jumps, and no trees to crash into. Oh and make sure you have an undertray or a skid plate. Don't want those rocks and dirts to fly underneath your engine bay. I tend to scout out the course first to see if there is going to be any casualties to the car, then decide if i want to rally there or not.

kcross
04-03-2006, 03:27 PM
ive got a quarter inch of carbon kevlar and solid aluminium watching out for any dangers under my car... i dont really worry too much.

gh0stch1ld
04-03-2006, 05:14 PM
ive got a quarter inch of carbon kevlar and solid aluminium watching out for any dangers under my car... i dont really worry too much.

haha yeah. i bought a huge aluminum piece and used my undertray to trace it out, cut it, then buy some nuts and bolts that are big enough and used that as a skidplate if you want to save some cash. I believe there was a post couple months back regarding a custom undertray.

kcross
04-03-2006, 05:22 PM
mine actually extends all the way from the front lip to the front axel. almost nothing is exposed. i remember that post but that was more a track piece. kinda more aerodynamics and track debris protection. i dont think that would be strong enough.

im just really happy with mine. theres even been a few instance where the entire weight of the car was supported on that piece with no damage other than scrapes.