PDA

View Full Version : Will this hurt tranny / clutch?

silvery_eagle
09-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi guys i'm trying different driving style to see if gas mileage will improve.
What i'm doing is first gear up til 3krpm and shift to 3rd (skpping 2nd), and up till 3.5k or almost 4k then upshift to 5th.
has anyone try this? will it hurt gearbox / tranny?

the shift is quite smooth from first to third but due to gear ratio i have to rev up until almost 4krpm to get some smooth shift --> this will leave the RPM to around 2krpm @ around 40-45 MPH

hopefully it's going to save some gas?

Macky
09-08-2005, 09:17 AM
no that wont save you gas because, depending on the road conditions, grade (level) and such, you can actually hurt by lugging the engine. if you are in too high a gear and trying to accelerate or hold, you are actually burning more fuel.

Skiracer
09-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Just out of curiousity, what saves more gas:

driving in 3rd gear:
Cruising at high RPM (I.E. 4000 RPM, no boost)
Or
Cruising at low RPM (i.e. 3000RPM, and some boost)

Absinthe
09-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Just out of curiousity, what saves more gas:

driving in 3rd gear:
Cruising at high RPM (I.E. 4000 RPM, no boost)
Or
Cruising at low RPM (i.e. 3000RPM, and some boost)

based on what I have seen on my dyno runs (afr) and in real world driving keeping boost at less than 5psi and rpms below 3300 will result in a large increase in milage, I got 25.2mpg on my best tank of gas.

but toi answer your question no it wont hurt the tranny/clutch

oct7th1987
09-23-2005, 01:23 PM
i shift at 2k every gear.. i feel the lag... and the car starts shaking a little bit... but thats not gona kill my clutch or tranny right?

rammsteinmatt
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
i shift at 2k every gear.. i feel the lag... and the car starts shaking a little bit... but thats not gona kill my clutch or tranny right?

you know you could go all the way to redline without generating boost, it just matters how much throttle/load there is on the car

might as well go a little higher in the RPMs

oct7th1987
09-23-2005, 02:04 PM
and the gas mileage will be the same? thank you sir! now i dont have to piss off the people behind me cuz im driving soo slow. hahahah

i drive slow.. and the people behind me switches lane.. then i floor it.. and watch their eyes get big in my mirror.

rammsteinmatt
09-23-2005, 02:45 PM
and the gas mileage will be the same? thank you sir! now i dont have to piss off the people behind me cuz im driving soo slow. hahahah

i drive slow.. and the people behind me switches lane.. then i floor it.. and watch their eyes get big in my mirror.

do that all the time.........everyday in fact

did it to a lady in a van today. we were at a red. we take off same speed. im going a little slower. there are cars parked on the side of the road (kinda in my lane) i can squeeze past, but its not worth the risk. i gas it, cut right in front of her. proceed to drive the speed limit. next light red. i take off slow, just normal really. get up to speed, she changes into the right lane and starts to pass. i have to make a right onto my street in ~100yards. i gas it again cut in front of her and slam on the brakes to make the turn. i believe she was thoroughly fed up with me, probably i thought i was some punk ricAr

Ralliartpnoi
09-24-2005, 03:14 AM
the power used to rev it a lil higher for skip shifting a gear drains ur economy alot. it took more energy to get the gear ratios to match. thats what each gear is for between 1 and 5 or 6. basically its like saying ur going to shift from 1st to 6th without bogging. oh yeah and it does hurt the tranny... i even thought it didnt too til my teacher mentioned that the strain taken from matching the skipped gears synchros could create accelerated wear and u might not feel the effect of that until time passes on

kcross
09-24-2005, 03:53 AM

your clutch and tranny will be alright but lugging can actually be more detrimental to your engine than say over-revving. just shift at three grand, the fuel econmy changes will be non-existant and youll probally save your engine a bit, they like to live closer to the power band, no right above stalling.

gen4k20a2
06-26-2006, 10:57 AM
I read somewhere that in honda transmissions that if you outright skip a gear in shifting you put more stress and wear on the syncros. Id assume the same situation here?

CACalomino
11-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Well with the stock tires and a full tune I can get 25-26 mpg on the highway and in mixed average 23-24 best way to do so stay off boost shift at 35 and your good. If u have a boost guage just watch the guage as u shift make sure u dont go past spool adn your golden if with alittlle boost once and awile I still get those numbers. Also make sure u ahve a good alighnment and tire pressure this helps alot

-Chris

j_nizzle
11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
meh, go get another car if you're so worried about saving gas...or just do it the smart way and dont get throttle happy.

trinydex
11-24-2006, 09:30 AM
i vote for full throttle s2k commute every day.

Evo8you
11-28-2006, 08:16 PM
shaking= not good

Team_swiff
02-16-2007, 01:31 AM
well to think about it.. its a turbo charge car.. most people didnt buy it to save gas.. thats something for toyota and honda to do or non turbo. but turbo. it will burn really quick.. well if you granny shift it i think its a way to save gas.. but even if i try .. i drive too much .. cant help it. such a beautiful car to leave in the garage to just collect dust if you know what i mean.. :-P well evo burns gas.. well you buy it for speed and speed pays it price on you.. O0