PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go to get tint removed?

Coolguy949
09-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Well, for the first time in about 3 years I finally got a ticket, but for window tint and no front plate. What sucks is that I bought the car used with tint on it already and really got used to the privacy while driving. My tint is classified as light, but since today was so overcast it looked a lot darker than usual. I'm pissed that I have to remove it since I like it, but there's no way around it (unless someone has a CHP hookup that can help me out - i'll give you free parts or something!). The cop was really nice. I wish I would have asked him nicely if I could keep the tint since it's so dark. The thought didn't cross my mind.

What sucks is that the mercedes he said i was "tailgating" had limo tint all around. This guy didn't notice the tint or front plate til he pulled me over. He said I was tailgating but what happened was the guy in front of me saw the CHP and slammed the brakes and I was looking at the freeway I was about to merge on to (241 to 91E) so I braked late. Too late apparently. The funny thing though was that I went to stop off to the side of the road and the cop almost barrelled in to me because my brembos stopped so quickly. To me it was just normal stopping, but the cop's cruiser did a nose dive like a kamakazi pilot.

The interesting thing though, on my ticket is says "Mits Evo". Sounds like cops are starting to know what we drive.

So anyways, where can I take my car to get the tint safely removed without damagin or scratching the window? One I had tint removed on my 2G eclipse and they scratched the hell out of the window. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob

Eckolaker
09-20-2005, 11:55 AM
The guy who did my tint said the best way to remove it is to use a Hair dyer to heat up the glue then start at a corner and peel reel slow.* As it peels away try and grab as much of the tint in your hand as possible.

Once you get the tint off, some Amonia based window cleaner was also recommended to remove what was left of the glue.

I have to pull my tint off this weekend for the same reason.

Tinted windows and no front plate...

I hate the fact that we have to pull our tint off, yet I see cars with Limo on the front two all the time.*

not fair... :'(

Edit: The guy who did my tint said he would redo it for half price once I got the ticket signed off. Im probably gonna take him up on the offer.

hksevo8
09-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Give me a call Rob.

I can help you peel it off yourself.

ultraflip
09-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Give me a call Rob.

I can help you peel it off yourself.

+1 rob... ;)

*chris*
09-20-2005, 12:02 PM
what is the 'supposed' max legal tint in ca anyway? ive been wanting to get it done for awhile now and thought about doing it before i move out there in a month.

Coolguy949
09-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Edit: The guy who did my tint said he would redo it for half price once I got the ticket signed off. Im probably gonna take him up on the offer.

I heard the ticket is worse if you get pulled over again for the same violation. Anyone know?

Coolguy949
09-20-2005, 12:04 PM
what is the 'supposed' max legal tint in ca anyway? ive been wanting to get it done for awhile now and thought about doing it before i move out there in a month.

I'm not sure, it seems like it's subjective to whatever the cop feels. I think technically any tint is illegal.

Eckolaker
09-20-2005, 12:04 PM

You can paint your windows black...Just not the front two.

I have 45% on the front two and 5% on all the other windows.

Absinthe
09-20-2005, 12:10 PM

You can paint your windows black...Just not the front two.

I have 45% on the front two and 5% on all the other windows.

Any tint on the front three windows besides a clear uv coat.* rears can be what ever.

Rob this is easily some thing you can do your self, you will need:

trash bags
windex
hairdryer
razorblade
paper towels

Cover the offending windows with black trashbags on the outside, use water to stick them to the outside of windows. (this works to heat up the glue between the flim and the glass.

Spray the insdie of the windows liberally with windex, or other amonia based cleaner.
Do this again, and maybe again for sport.

Then take hair dryer and razorblade, pick a coner and start peeling.

USe simple green to remove any leftover glue on the windows.

SpdyEvo02
09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
That sucks really bad rob but CHP officers are pretty cool. when i got my tint put on they had an offer so that if you get a ticket you can take it back to them and they will take it off for you so you can get the ticket written off and then go back and they will re-tint your car for free well its not really free because you paid for the offer but its a good deal oh yah i got it at Mikes Tint Shop

Racing Chick
09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I got pulled over on the 14 freeway doing 120 and I only got a ticket for my tinted windows, verbal on speed, and he didn't say anything about not having the front plate. He told me he would have had to give me a speeding ticket if my windows weren't tinted. I asked him what the legal tint was and he said "None, but if you only put light tint we won't bother you because we tint our windows too". I think I just got lucky and went home to pull the tint off myself.

Chris in SD
09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I got pulled over on the 14 freeway doing 120 and I only got a ticket for my tinted windows, verbal on speed, and he didn't say anything about not having the front plate. He told me he would have had to give me a speeding ticket if my windows weren't tinted. I asked him what the legal tint was and he said "None, but if you only put light tint we won't bother you because we tint our windows too". I think I just got lucky and went home to pull the tint off myself.

You must be hot... ^-^ Being a girl has its advantages sometimes, I'm sure.

Racing Chick
09-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Nope I'm not hot like the girls your probably thinking of. I'm 5'2'' and I've got really short hair, big boobs and a little extra weight, but way far from being fat. I guess I would say I'm neutral in the way of looks.

Chris in SD
09-20-2005, 02:33 PM
A little wink and a tank top never hurt... LOL

snoop
09-20-2005, 02:45 PM

You must be hot...* ^-^* Being a girl has its advantages sometimes, I'm sure.

I am hot Chris O0

genrec
09-20-2005, 02:47 PM
actually im suprised he didnt let you go one he saw you were a white guy......thats how THEY do it down our way.. :roll:

j_nizzle
09-20-2005, 02:53 PM
if you want this professionally done, i would recommend tint pros in huntington beach. ask for greg and tell him that serenity sound refered you. they are really nice people and do top notch work with tint.

Coolguy949
09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Nope I'm not hot like the girls your probably thinking of. I'm 5'2'' and I've got really short hair, big boobs and a little extra weight, but way far from being fat. I guess I would say I'm neutral in the way of looks.

:worthless:

ultraflip
09-21-2005, 11:57 AM
fkn rob... :lol:

GokuSSJ4
09-21-2005, 12:12 PM

*picture time !!! * ^-^

speedracer2169
09-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey rob I have a vendor who removes window tint that does our cars. If you'd like let me know and we can set up an appointment or she can come down to you. She's mobile and usually services the South O.C. area

speedracer2169
09-21-2005, 12:35 PM

*picture time !!! ** ^-^

+1

Chris in SD
09-21-2005, 03:27 PM
You guys are terrible... I swear...

OK - So where are the pics? LOL

ultraflip
09-21-2005, 03:50 PM
[/leghump]

Macky
09-21-2005, 04:50 PM
where's the pics?

909Evo
09-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm pissed that I have to remove it since I like it, but there's no way around it (unless someone has a CHP hookup that can help me out - i'll give you free parts or something!).

Rob

Just uh, what kinda free parts are we talking about ..... :twisted:

daniel
09-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, Tint Pros. They did my tint on my G35- very good people. I'll be going to them as soon as I get my DP and catback situation taken care of...buying them that is... :grin:

if you want this professionally done, i would recommend tint pros in huntington beach. ask for greg and tell him that serenity sound refered you. they are really nice people and do top notch work with tint.

silvery_eagle
09-27-2005, 11:57 AM
You guys are terrible... I swear...

OK - So where are the pics?* LOL

+++111

evolved13
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
The tint rules in Ca is no tint front side windows, as dark as 5% light transmission (limo tint) in the back.

panda
01-31-2010, 10:49 PM
The tint rules in Ca is no tint front side windows, as dark as 5% light transmission (limo tint) in the back.

fail

ecko
01-31-2010, 10:52 PM

stop posting