PDA

View Full Version : Where to get exhausts tested for Db level?

CJexJiggy
09-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Heres my story: I got a ticket for "modified" exhaust and I just want to know if anyone knew where a testing site is to test the db of my exhaust. I"m in the san Fernando Valley.

Skiracer
09-28-2005, 09:03 PM
Call 1-800-622-7733 and they will find the nearest ref station for u and make an appt for you.

CJexJiggy
09-28-2005, 09:09 PM
hey thanx.

go4broke
10-02-2005, 09:36 AM
i've read from a few post on here that the one at el camino college in torrance is a pretty friendly place to get tested.

Matz
10-02-2005, 09:43 AM
but what happens if you fail? Would you then be forced to fix the problem? I'm assuming that that is the case... I wonder if it's best to get an SPL meter to test at home:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=33-4050

tabio42
10-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Just to make sure I'm correct, is the sound level law 95 decibels at idle? And then something like 120 at 2500RPM? Or is that me making stuff up?

Skiracer
10-02-2005, 11:20 AM
i've read from a few post on here that the one at el camino college in torrance is a pretty friendly place to get tested.

I got tested there and i can vouch for his friendliness. He will explain what exactly he will test for and won't give u any B.S.

tabio42
10-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Skiracer, could you list what he tested for on your occasion? And what your ticket was for? That would help me a lot as I have to go to a ref station soon...

Skiracer
10-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I got a non correctable CVC 27151 Modified Exhaust ticket. I went to the ref confident that my exhaust will pass and i passed at 94db's. I gave a copy of my sales invoice for my exhaust so the ref can document on the certificate that my AVO exhaust meets cali requirements. He also took pictures of the exhaust with his digital camera. He also checked the VIN numbers aroudn the engine compartment to ensure i didn't do an engine swap.

CJexJiggy
10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I got a non correctable CVC 27151 Modified Exhaust ticket. I went to the ref confident that my exhaust will pass and i passed at 94db's. I gave a copy of my sales invoice for my exhaust so the ref can document on the certificate that my AVO exhaust meets cali requirements. He also took pictures of the exhaust with his digital camera. He also checked the VIN numbers aroudn the engine compartment to ensure i didn't do an engine swap.
Oh then I'm in the clear cuz I also have a full tb AVO exhaust system. Did you just have the cat back AVO or the full tb? The only problem I got now is that I dont have an invoice of my exhaust cuz it came with the car when I got it (used). :-(

CJexJiggy
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
but what happens if you fail?* Would you then be forced to fix the problem?* I'm assuming that that is the case...* I wonder if it's best to get an SPL meter to test at home:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=33-4050
I guess if you fail, you just fail. Thanx for that radio crack link though.

thetaxguy
10-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Call 1-800-622-7733 and they will find the nearest ref station for u and make an appt for you.
+1

Skiracer
10-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Oh then I'm in the clear cuz I also have a full tb AVO exhaust system. Did you just have the cat back AVO or the full tb? The only problem I got now is that I dont have an invoice of my exhaust cuz it came with the car when I got it (used).* :-(

I passed with 94db with the AVO catback only.* Later, after installing my downpipe with stock cat, i noticed it was a bit louder.* So, with the downpipe it may/may not pass, but the catback alone should pass.

Anyways, you should keep a copy of this in your glovebox. It may/may not help when the popo pulls you over
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_AVOcertificate.jpg

thetaxguy
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Hell, I going to keep this in my glove box. Thanks skiracer! O0

CJexJiggy
10-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey thanx Ski! I plead NOT guilty for my ticket so this will come in handy also. I have a hearing infront of the judge with the cop present on 10-28-05 so I'll keep you guys posted when I WIN. I cant wait to see the look on that cops face!

WavMixer
10-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Just to make sure I'm correct, is the sound level law 95 decibels at idle? And then something like 120 at 2500RPM? Or is that me making stuff up?
That would be you making stuff up. 95 Db at 3/4 redline with the probe placed 5" from the exhaust at a 45 degree angle. I believe this is the formula.

CJexJiggy
10-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Well I got my Evo tested for db at Torrance. I figured that if I'd take my car to the Torrance Referre station like Skiracer did I'd have more luck in passing the sound test. So I passed at 92.4db with an Avo downpipe, cams, cam gears, 272/264, full Avo exhaust WITH stock cat. Evo makes about 314Whp and still was able to pass. They were real cool with me and didnt hassle me at all. So now I'm waiting for friday the 28th to show the jugde all the paper work I got from the Referee. They give you all the B.A.R (Bearu Auto Repair) paper work needed to back up your exhaust that its "noise" legal.

Hey Wav, its 1ft. or so from the tip of the exhaust. (Thats the way the Ref did it)

Skiracer
10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Well I got my Evo tested for db at Torrance. I figured that if I'd take my car to the Torrance Referre station like Skiracer did I'd have more luck in passing the sound test. So I passed at 92.4db with an Avo downpipe, cams, cam gears, 272/264, full Avo exhaust WITH stock cat. Evo makes about 314Whp and still was able to pass. They were real cool with me and didnt hassle me at all. So now I'm waiting for friday the 28th to show the jugde all the paper work I got from the Referee. They give you all the B.A.R (Bearu Auto Repair) paper work needed to back up your exhaust that its "noise" legal.

Hey Wav, its 1ft. or so from the tip of the exhaust. (Thats the way the Ref did it)

Weird, i got 94.5db with just the AVO catback and stock downpipe & cat. Word of advice, make a copy of that certificate from the ref and keep it in your glovebox O0

CJexJiggy
10-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Yeah Ski, the Ref gave me copies and thier stashed in my glove box...I asked him if the paper work would be enough for a cop to believe that the exhaust is noise legal and he said that any cop is still able to give me a ticket and that it didnt guarantee that I could get away from a "modified exhaust" ticket. So he then told me that I would have to plea NOT GUILTY and go waste my time at court.

CJexJiggy
10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Went to court just to find out that the cop didnt show up and my case was dismissed. Funny cuz from what he told me was to fight the ticket if I really wanted to :uglystupid2: