PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust system

IdahoEVO
09-29-2005, 04:10 PM
I have a lot of different things about exhaust systems for the EVO. Some claim a free flow exhaust can give the EVO huge amounts of horsepower. I have heard the stock system is tuned really well and changing the exhaust is expensive and gives you more noise than horsepower. Can the cat be removed and the oxy sensor moved? I live in Idaho, so it is easier to get away with some of the smog stuff. I would appreciate any information. I don't want to spend 1500 dollars to get more noise and 7HP. Thanks.

Blak94GSX
09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
You will get more than 7HP for sure, you need to keep the O2 sensors, you can remove the cat...

At the very least, get a decent boost controller like the Dejon Tool MBC that www.roadraceengineering.com stocks for like $50 and a nice downpipe, rally cat, cat back exhaust system. Set the boost to 19PSI and it will hold much better to redline than the factory boost control setup.

rsmatt
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
7 hp? where did you hear that from? once i did the tbe with boost controler my car felt about twice as fast. i think tbe is one of the best bangs for the buck in our cars no question O0.

DTunedEvoX
09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I suppose all of the dyno charts you've looked @ through your research tells you 7hp or so eh? Are you telling us that "some" claim that its just all noise and no horse power? I dont even understand why this question is asked as its been proven time and time again that a more free flowing exhaust flows better than the stock one.

I say take Scot's (Blak94GSK) advice and do a dyno pull before and after you get exhaust ... I dont believe it is a waste of money @ all..

kimletrim
09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes, the stock system is good, but it can definitely be better. With a turbo car, it is almost a requirement to upgrade the exhuast system for serious, consistent power. It's up to you, but the stock exhuast system is usually the first thing to go.

turbolarry
09-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I have a lot of different things about exhaust systems for the EVO. Some claim a free flow exhaust can give the EVO huge amounts of horsepower. I have heard the stock system is tuned really well and changing the exhaust is expensive and gives you more noise than horsepower. Can the cat be removed and the oxy sensor moved? I live in Idaho, so it is easier to get away with some of the smog stuff. I would appreciate any information. I don't want to spend 1500 dollars to get more noise and 7HP. Thanks.

Maybe the cat and cat-back are OK for stock parts, but the downpipe is a real piece of crushed bent restricted shit.* You may not feeel the most gains from a cat back, but the real gains are made with the downpipe.* A complete turbo back exhaust can be had for $800.* Less if you pick one up used.* O0
You can ditch the cat and get the best flow.* You can get an electric device the wires into the O2 sensor to fool it, or you can move the sensor out of the exhaust stream with a partially drilled out antifouler.

IdahoEVO
10-02-2005, 06:07 AM

Maybe the cat and cat-back are OK for stock parts, but the downpipe is a real piece of crushed bent restricted shit.* You may not feeel the most gains from a cat back, but the real gains are made with the downpipe.* A complete turbo back exhaust can be had for $800.* Less if you pick one up used.* O0
You can ditch the cat and get the best flow.* You can get an electric device the wires into the O2 sensor to fool it, or you can move the sensor out of the exhaust stream with a partially drilled out antifouler.

IdahoEVO
10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
I bought an Espilar downpipe. I bought the other componets from JEGS, low restricted cat, flowmaster mullfer, 50 series. The point I am trying to make, is it cost me 500 dollars for my system. If I lived in a bigger town I could have had the downpipe made for under 100 dollars and would have saved around 100 dollars. You can have a downpipe made for under 100 dollars, a cat for under 100 dollars and a muffler for under 100 dollars and have a muffler shop build your exhaust for another 100 dollars or so, depending on the tubing you use and labor. They put my O2 sensor back in also. My low end is great now. I have power all the time, and my power really starts a bit over 2500 RPM. I haven't noticed if I have much more power in my top end, but my low end has a lot more power. Before you spend $1000 or more dollars, consider making your own system. I am really happy with my system and performance. It has a nice deep sound to it also.

Blak94GSX
10-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Yeah now that I have the stock catback and cat on my car, I notice a dramatic loss in low-end response. The turbo is super laggy and the car makes no power below 4k. The car just feels "soft" when you jump on the throttle. With the full 3" TBE I had before, there was no lag at all and the car just took off immediately whenever you hit the throttle.

IdahoEVO
11-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Yeah now that I have the stock catback and cat on my car, I notice a dramatic loss in low-end response.* The turbo is super laggy and the car makes no power below 4k.* The car just feels "soft" when you jump on the throttle.* With the full 3" TBE I had before, there was no lag at all and the car just took off immediately whenever you hit the throttle.

I am curious why you went back to stock. I left my stock stuff at the muffler shop, and haven't been back to pick it up. Other than my car makes a bit more noise now, I really like my new system. I only drive my car on a weekend once in a while, so the noise isn't a big deal.

Blak94GSX
11-08-2005, 04:19 PM
I sold my other exhaust and am going to the RRE 3" system that looks more stock than stock, but I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

GokuSSJ4
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
try getting a delete muffler pipe (something that WORKS sales) i can be noise, you will loose bottom end power , but you will gain some top end power... LOL...

silvery_eagle
12-08-2005, 02:30 PM
would changing downpipe change the way exhaust sound?

EvolvedMCC
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
would changing downpipe change the way exhaust sound?

yes