PDA

View Full Version : help! exhaust manifold problem

jdm_evo
10-03-2005, 10:50 PM
what up everyone! does anyone know of a good shop that can help me out with this.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9557/pict54873nv.jpg

results
http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/3581/pict54974im.jpg

before everyone starts calling me a dumba$$...the car was not used for 2 days, it was nice and cold. i soaked the bolts w/WD40 and other mechanical sprays to loosen the bolts. i had removed the first two bolts near the radiator with out a problem. then the top left which the thread is gone now. top right just snapped in half w/the remaining peice of the bolt still left inside.

the goal was to install a new exhaust manifold. i have been driving like this with out any problems. no leaks, no lag, same as always. but i want to take care of this before i start having major problems.

i guess i can also use this as a good excuse for an upgrade.

i appreciate your help guys! thanks!

turbolarry
10-04-2005, 01:31 PM
RRE or TT's, but it's really not that bad.* For future reference, spray the bolts at the turbo (from the bottom) with PB Blaster.
The damage is on the exhaust housing of the turbo, not the manifold.
Remove the radiator, remove your downpipe, remove the front O2 sensor, remove the two remaining turbo bolts and undo the band clam on the turbo.* Slide the O2 housing and exhaust housing out as one piece, if that broken bolt allows you.* If not, remove the stock manifold manifold (as you were going to do anyway), and take it out through the top.
Spray the broken bolt with PB Blaster and get a bolt extracting kit from Home Depot or where ever.* Pick up the right size tap and clean up the threads.* It should be fine.
If not, pick up a 10.5 housing at throw it in.

rino
10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
did you have a good angle when pulling it out? It looks kind of angled from the picture..

you can re-tap the turbo for bigger bolt sizes.

Raine3D
07-16-2006, 03:44 PM
haha I Just did that to one of my bolts ... damn things! 3 of them no problem... last didn’t want to come out then snap!

The reason I’m bringing up and old thread is because I didn’t want to start a new one and couldn’t find what I was looking for in the threads, forgive me if I overlooked

I am having trouble removing my manifold. I have the DP taken off already ... all the bolts and also the turbo bracket removed however I am still having trouble freeing the turbo from the manifold. I am not able to push it down enough to free the manifold from the studs on the turbo. Is there maybe an extra bracket or another piece that may need to be removed on the IX that I am not seeing to enable me to push the turbo down a little more so I can get the manifold off ?

turbolarry
07-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Is there maybe an extra bracket or another piece that may need to be removed on the IX that I am not seeing to enable me to push the turbo down a little more so I can get the manifold off ?

There is a lower support bracket that bolts the turbo to the block.* Item #16;
(removing the oil feed line's top banjo bolt at the head allows more movement too)

DTunedEvoX
07-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Glad you did some research Craig :)

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Glad you did some research Craig :)

Thanks brotha! ^^

turbolarry - Thanks allot for the diagram! I did remove the bracket #16 but am not getting enough movement. Ill have to look into this oil feed line later today. If no luck I’m thinking ill probably go to RRE and get it installed along with their stealth exhaust.

turbolarry
07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
When I was taking off my manifold I had problems too. When I took off the top bolt it gave it that little bit of room I needed. It only drips a drop or two of oil.
O0

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 02:09 PM
When I was taking off my manifold I had problems too. When I took off the top bolt it gave it that little bit of room I needed. It only drips a drop or two of oil.
O0

That’s good to hear. I wasn’t sure if oil would come gushing out of there. I might have to take a look soon heh. I’m still resting from the long night of trying to figure it out yesterday

C-Spec
07-17-2006, 02:21 PM
RAINE3D WHAT CITY ARE YOU IN ?

DTunedEvoX
07-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Valencia I believe - near Magic Mtn

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM

Valencia I believe - near Magic Mtn

yep^^

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
When the manifold is just sitting there I have this
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/raine976/Nopress.jpg

When I put force on the turbo I only get this much clearance
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g247/raine976/Pressed.jpg

Clearly this isn’t enough room. Also I’m thinking if I do remove the bolt for the oil line I will still not have enough clearance. The manifold and turbo are at an angle where they bolt up.. I could be wrong but it feels like even if I had more clearance they threads will catch while I’m pushing down. This is very hard for me to explain in writing so hopefully I’m making at least a little sense. Anyways there’s pics of what I have to work with.

turbolarry
07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
You have the lower bracket off.
The down pipe is out.
The water lines are connected by rubber hose.
The oil return line has a flex section.
Losen the top oil feed line bolt and push down on the turbo while lifting up and away from the head with the manifold. It will go. O0

You have the manifold nuts off right?
:2funny:

DTunedEvoX
07-17-2006, 03:39 PM
turbolarry ftW

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 04:29 PM
OK I’m going to go try that shit right now lol... I hope it works. I did notice that flex joint in the oil line... so I knew there was no problem there... ill be back when I’m all done to let you know how it went. Thanks

Raine3D
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
well no luck. I removed this oil feed bolt but this didn’t give me any more. I am still stuck in the same spot. I took out my intake box to look to see what’s up and if anything is holding it but I don’t see any problems. Maybe I have to take out my radiator... crap I hope not.

trinydex
08-06-2006, 05:40 PM
don't forget the permatex antiseize, for future people referencing this thread.