PDA

View Full Version : stock boost solenoid

krillin
10-23-2005, 09:07 PM
sorry guys for the stupid question. i had someone remove my boost controller and connect my stock boost solenoid in. however, it seems that my boost is lower than stock. i'm guessing that the boost solenoid isn't hooked up properly. i'm looking at my stock boost solenoid. i see it has 2 nipples on it. there are also two hoses. one with stripes on it and one without. does the striped hose go on the top nipple or bottom nipple? again, sorry for the stupid question. i wasn't around to see how the hoses were arranged originally. thanks.

krillin
10-24-2005, 09:44 AM
i guess no one knows?? anyway, i thought the hoses were switched around so i connected the striped hose (from intake pipe) to the vacuum nipple on the top/outside, and the other hose (coming from the wastegate) to the bottom/inside nipple. the car is still running the same. i guess i'll just have to wait until i get someone to help me fix it. thx anyway.

toku-one
10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
theres a diagram on the hood of the car... the stripped on goes from the solenoid to the intake... the other one is from the wastegate/turbo. if you were to look at it like an F i think the stripped goes to the top. but just look on the hood and youll see.

is your car running 11psi now? and did you have the restrictor pills removed?

krillin
10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
hey man thanks for the info/help.* i guess i have it hooked up correctly now, but still isn't working.* i had someone install a profec b in my car so he did all the original work.* something happened where he had to take it out and connect the stock solenoid back in.* the striped hose was connected to the bottom "F" (striped hose connecting to the intake), but i moved it to the top.* i am not sure about those restrictor pills that you are talking about.* i also looked at the diagram last night but it was a little hard for me to read.*

my boost gauge was taken out too so i don't know what i am boosting.* all i know is that i don't feel as much boost as i did when the car was stock.* i guess i'll have to wait for this person to come back and help me fix it.*

krillin
10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
yeh, i keep hearing that from evo owners. however, i spoke to scott gray and he told me that using the profec b (not II) would work fine.

rammsteinmatt
10-24-2005, 11:18 AM
the EBC techincally works better than the MBC, but the increase in performance is not nearly worth the 10x increase in price

toku-one
10-24-2005, 12:29 PM
does the car seem to lag pretty hard around like 4000 rpm?
almost like your clutch is slipping?

thats what 11psi will feel like.

my best guess is that you now dont have restriction in your lines so its not working right...
i just took off my mbc myself and am running at 11psi. now i dont need restriction cause i have a p2 flash... however i may have a leak...
also, another concern (and youd need a pressure gauge and pump) but your wastegate actuator may be blown. (ive been victim to that myself)
usually though with a blow actuator or leak your car will run as much boost at the turbo will let it. i was seeing 26psi regularly with the blown actuator.

krillin
10-24-2005, 02:18 PM
does the car seem to lag pretty hard around like 4000 rpm?
almost like your clutch is slipping?

thats what 11psi will feel like.*

my best guess is that you now dont have restriction in your lines so its not working right...*
i just took off my mbc myself and am running at 11psi.* now i dont need restriction cause i have a p2 flash... however i may have a leak...
also, another concern (and youd need a pressure gauge and pump) but your wastegate actuator may be blown. (ive been victim to that myself)
usually though with a blow actuator or leak your car will run as much boost at the turbo will let it.* i was seeing 26psi regularly with the blown actuator.

no it's not lag. i ran about 10lbs on my last car. my evo's power now feels very similar to my mazdaspeed. i'm sure it's something with the connection of the boost solenoid that isn't hooked up correctly. it's ok though. someone will be coming over to check it out.

Blak94GSX
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah I think Toku is right. Your restrictor is most likely missing and/or the T fitting isn't in the right spot. The hose coming from the turbo housing has a restrictor inside the hose itself, then there is the T fitting which runs to the hose going to the wastegate, then the other hose from the T goes to the solenoid, and the other hose from the solenoid goes to the intake pipe.

krillin
10-24-2005, 03:51 PM
thx scott for the confirmation. i'll be sure to remember that for later.

krillin
10-24-2005, 10:54 PM
i'm looking at this T fitting. what does this restrictor look like? all i see is the T with the hoses on all ends going to the actuator, solenoid, and turbo housing.

Blak94GSX
10-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Feel the hose by squeezing along its length. The restrictor is inside the hose.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
11-17-2005, 04:41 PM
theres two restrictor pills, so if you replace the one from the turbo housing that scott was talkin about and it still doesnt work, then the other restrictor pill is missing as well...the other one is closer to the solenoid from the wastegate actuator.

krillin
11-17-2005, 06:07 PM
it's ok. i ended up installing the dejon, but thanks for reminding me that i need to get those restrictor pills back from someone.