PDA

View Full Version : Facts on Aftermarket HFC use

EVOla_VIRUS
10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
The EPA has a fact sheet on the use of HFC's. Some points are interesting and leave us federally "illegal" though it does give us loopholes
(ie age and milage of car, use of certified cat...etc.) What caught my eye was page 4 of the document.

www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

kipper215
10-28-2005, 10:15 AM
The EPA has a fact sheet on the use of HFC's. Some points are interesting and leave us federally "illegal" though it does give us loopholes
(ie age and milage of car, use of certified cat...etc.) What caught my eye was page 4 of the document.

will I guest I won't pass smog then :crazy2:

EvoPwr
10-28-2005, 03:38 PM

will I guest I won't pass smog then :crazy2:

kip you dont have a "cat". either do i :2funny:

CACalomino
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Ya all of us that put on HFC are techniqaly breaking the law due to the 8year/80K policy and we also are breaking another aspect in CA cause to use a HFC in CA it has to be OBD2 C.A.R.B certified to be used in our wonderful state. The only company that makes a true OBD2 C.A.R.B certifired cat is magnaflow they released them about two years ago prob is they are pricey and are not made in universal fourm like most aftermaket HFC's according to my exhaust man. If a cops brings this point up im just gona say hey i crashed at the track and bent up my stock exhaust including the cat so i had to preplace it :roll:.

-Chris

emperor_gp
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
are not made in universal fourm like most aftermaket HFC's according to my exhaust man.
-Chris

Magnaflows are made in OBD II/ CARB Compliant UNIVERSAL form

click here:
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/430.aspx

emperor_gp
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
I use those for my HFC kits for the Evo..

k2da_izo
11-11-2005, 07:44 AM
After reading that, I think I'll leave mine alone. Besides, I'll save some cash for other mods, heh heh. I really didn't think an aftermarlet cat can make that much of a difference (aside from using a straight pipe, of course)...unless I'm completely mistaken.

EVOla_VIRUS
11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
After reading that, I think I'll leave mine alone.* Besides, I'll save some cash for other mods, heh heh.* I really didn't think an aftermarlet cat can make that much of a difference (aside from using a straight pipe, of course)...unless I'm completely mistaken.

I think that you might be a little mistaked. The entry ports on the stock cat are about ~2.25 (maybe more). This adds a bottle neck to the flow of the exhaust especially if your system is 3"

I ran with the stock catalyzer and compared a/f and power levels (to that of my HFC) The power was only slightly higher with a HFC. Side by side comparison was the torque output did not dip off quickly as when the stocker was on. The difference I saw on graph and felt started at ~4K+rpm.

Now that Magna has OBII legel/EPA numbered cats, this could be a step in the right dirrection. I have the catalyzer offered by RRE and it fit to a tee, was a great price, and am very happy I am running it.

IMO, a HFC along with various other mods will pay out exponential dividens! O0

krillin
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
i know that RRE uses a magnaflow high flow cat. anyone know if these are OBD-II certified or not?

Chris in SD
11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Buschur tested his exhaust with and without a high-flow cat (without used the stock cat):

Big difference? Nope, IIRC it was something on par of 2 whp loss with the stock cat.... OOOHH - now there's a reason to get my car impounded and heavily fined :roll:

EvoPwr
11-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Buschur tested his exhaust with and without a high-flow cat (without used the stock cat):

Big difference? Nope, IIRC it was something on par of 2 whp loss with the stock cat.... OOOHH - now there's a reason to get my car impounded and heavily fined :roll:

I believe there is a big difference, was the rest of his car stock? what did the graph look like? what was the torque difference? What size is his piping on his exhaust?

rammsteinmatt
11-13-2005, 04:21 PM

w00t im gonna be "legal" especially with that "off road use only" turbo

EvoPwr
11-13-2005, 04:22 PM

w00t im gonna be "legal" especially with that "off road use only" turbo

:roll: right............................................. .................................................. .......................................... :idiot2:

rammsteinmatt
11-13-2005, 04:23 PM
the HFC will be the least of my problems with legalitay ;)

EvoPwr
11-13-2005, 04:29 PM
the HFC will be the least of my problems with legalitay ;)

get a rallycat, looks the same as a cat O0

genrec
11-13-2005, 08:58 PM
the HFC will be the least of my problems with legalitay* ;)

get a rallycat, looks the same as a cat O0

agreed...they look the same....

BUT damn everytime im behind you guys running them or testpipes i about passout from the fumes... :buck2:

i got a headache just thinking about it.