PDA

View Full Version : just got my evo wats a good first mod to get for some hp!!!

*ER*EvO*
11-10-2005, 11:51 AM
i just got my evo about 4 days ago!! and im wondering wat would be a good first mod that would start gainin some hp!! if anyone could please help!!

speedracer2169
11-10-2005, 11:53 AM
J/K an exhaust will help a lot

ANTHONY
11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
TBE!!!

xEviLxVIIIx
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
+1 on turboback exhaust, stay away from intakes

EVOate909
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
HKS turbo kit :2funny: ;)

emperor_gp
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
HKS turbo kit :2funny: ;)

you have to ask matt for that one.. i heard he's giving his away!!!!!!!!!!!!! :2funny:

*ER*EvO*
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
why is it that i should stay away from intakes???? :-\

emperor_gp
11-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Aftermarket intakes won't do you any good.. The stock airbox is perfect to use since it draws only cool air through the inlet duct and keeps the inlet temperatures cool.. Engine bay get real hot and you don't want to suck in hot air.

If you have to have a replacement, HKS and K&N offers a drop in filter that works just fine.

xEviLxVIIIx
11-10-2005, 12:32 PM

i had problems with my intake and had to take it off the same day i put it in. Not all intakes will have problems but the stock air box is designed pretty well already. I think for the most part, the people that have intakes have more mods and piggyback ecus to tune for it. And you diffenitly will not gain as much power as a turboback exhaust. my .02cents

hksevo8
11-10-2005, 12:34 PM
A little off topic here, but does your avatar have a picture of your evo w/ a sign that says Habla espanol in the back ground?

Back on topic, imo, leave it stock until you are more familiar with the way the car drives. Too many people jump into the must have parts now frame of mind. Enjoy it as it is, and soon enough you will figure out on your own, what a good first mod will be.

speedracer2169
11-10-2005, 01:33 PM
A little off topic here, but does your avatar have a picture of your evo w/ a sign that says Habla espanol in the back ground?

Back on topic, imo, leave it stock until you are more familiar with the way the car drives.* Too many people jump into the must have parts now frame of mind.* Enjoy it as it is, and soon enough you will figure out on your own, what a good first mod will be.

looks like he took the picture when he bought the car and it looks like he got it form Union Mitsu in l.a.

gofaster87
11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Funny how every intake installed here has worked fine with no side effects while you Cali folk think its the end of all civilization when you install one. I guess its all the sin here, the devil makes it work.

leaveit2bevo
11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Funny how* every intake installed here has worked fine with no side effects while you Cali folk think its the end of all civilization when you install one. I guess its all the sin here, the devil makes it work.

thats what im talking about

xEviLxVIIIx
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Funny how* every intake installed here has worked fine with no side effects while you Cali folk think its the end of all civilization when you install one. I guess its all the sin here, the devil makes it work.

i was talking bout the experience i had with the typhoon intake i had, but i put an apexi one on after and didnt have any problems but didnt feel much of a power difference

EvoPwr
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
full tbe.

gofaster87
11-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Whats up beaver. When are you turning 21 so we can party out here?

*ER*EvO*
11-10-2005, 04:33 PM
yup that pic was taken the day i bought the car!!

WavMixer
11-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Funny how every intake installed here has worked fine with no side effects while you Cali folk think its the end of all civilization when you install one. I guess its all the sin here, the devil makes it work.
not all cali folks are against the intake, but it should not be his first mod. Start with the exhaust. Cat back or full TBE, you will be happy, very very happy.

Macky
11-12-2005, 11:18 PM
ive had intakes on the four evos we've had - not a single problem. ever. must be the exception to the rule.

helli0n
11-13-2005, 12:54 PM
I had an ARC on my 2003 & it worked fine. Biggest power I got from a small mod though was my old RMR catback exhaust...friggin schweet. Catback or Turboback exhaust...best mod you can do. ;)

j_nizzle
11-13-2005, 01:39 PM
my intake was my 2nd mod after my cat-back...never a problem with it.

EvoPwr
11-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Biggest power I got from a small mod though was my old RMR catback exhaust...friggin schweet. Catback or Turboback exhaust...best mod you can do. ;)

+1 for RMR

leaveit2bevo
11-13-2005, 10:13 PM
I turned 21 yesterday I need to come out and buck out there with you

BoosTHi
11-13-2005, 10:58 PM
DOes the catback make a big difference???? WHich would be the best catback to get ?????

*ER*EvO*
11-14-2005, 09:59 AM
i was think of going with an hks full cat! how about a blow off valve will that lose hp!! i know it wont gain any but will it lose!!

GokuSSJ4
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM

:band:

Absinthe
11-14-2005, 05:23 PM

Oh shit its on...

GokuSSJ4
11-14-2005, 07:20 PM
yeap! can you say "road trip"

helli0n
11-14-2005, 08:07 PM
i was think of going with an hks full cat! how about a blow off valve will that lose hp!! i know it wont gain any but will it lose!!

If you replace your stock plastic BOV you might get a little better boost. The stock plastic one can crack and tends to leak a little. Pick up a JSpec MR steel BOV for something easy. There are a few other good re-circ BOVs out there, but you have to figure out the spring settings. Its not hard, but an extra step you don't have to take with the MR BOV. Be careful with Vent to Atomosphere BOVs as they can cause idling problems without tunning.

BoosTHi
11-15-2005, 11:57 AM
What about the Greddy Type S bov...... It comes with a kit to re-circut air, and it comes with a plug to plug the line and get that really loud blowoff sound....??? What happens if you plug the line to get the sound louder? Is that bad or good for your car??

gofaster87
11-15-2005, 12:38 PM
yeap! can you say "road trip"

Do it!

seskysang
12-20-2005, 05:29 AM
quick question for all the peepo recommending tbe. is it neccessary to get a boost controller and boost gauge before installing a tbe? i had major problems with spike on my old dsm with a catless tbe before my boost controller. so many problems in fact that i had to take the tbe off 40 minutes after i installed it because i was scared of something happening.

GokuSSJ4
12-20-2005, 05:45 AM

it is a sin

Terry S
12-20-2005, 01:45 PM
quick question for all the peepo recommending tbe.* is it neccessary to get a boost controller and boost gauge before installing a tbe?* i had major problems with spike on my old dsm with a catless tbe before my boost controller. so many problems in fact that i had to take the tbe off 40 minutes after i installed it because i was scared of something happening.

No you dont need a boost controller and boost guage when installing a TBE. The Evo is not a DSM.

Thanks.

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
12-20-2005, 02:42 PM
a new turbo is technically an intake. do it!!!!!!

i know i will. stock -> upgrade turbo -> TBE :2funny:

EVOla_VIRUS
12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
geez :idiot2: ...start by picking up local high school girls....cause the older we get, the more they stay the same age O0

Absinthe
12-20-2005, 05:01 PM

If you replace your stock plastic BOV you might get a little better boost. The stock plastic one can crack and tends to leak a little. Pick up a JSpec MR steel BOV for something easy. There are a few other good re-circ BOVs out there, but you have to figure out the spring settings. Its not hard, but an extra step you don't have to take with the MR BOV. Be careful with Vent to Atomosphere BOVs as they can cause idling problems without tunning.

You need a BOV that vents to atmospher, a JDM intercooler, and an EBC. thats the way to do things right.

EvoPwr
12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
i would get a new car with more horsepower...but thats just me

Evoegg
12-20-2005, 05:52 PM
TBE- and depends on how you like

- for money/price/value - Megan TBE or BR TBE ----- full 3"

- if sound/name brand/look if what you want - Helix DP/TP and Greddy TI CB or HKS TI CB ------ full 3" HKS ti is like 2.89" or 2.98" cannot remember

- Quite/low Profile - Helix DP/HFC + Fujitsubo CB

there are more combos out there, you just have to search for it.

my 2cp

BoosTHi
12-21-2005, 03:23 AM
have any of you guys seen the Megan CAtback system in action ???? Is it any good ????

GokuSSJ4
12-21-2005, 03:36 AM
another quiet exhaust is the WORKS , very nice ...

Thero
12-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Ok sorry to Hijack your thread but I didn't want to start another one plus my question is sort of the same.

I have No Pwr Mods whatsoever on my car and I'm about to drop some money into the following

SAFC II
GReedy Fuel Injectors (720cc)
Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump
MBC

I'm (hoping) for christmas that I get a Esplier Cat Back Exhaust but If I dont I didn't want to buy the Downpipe until I knew for sure if I was gonna get it or not.

Is this a Good Start?

emperor_gp
12-21-2005, 09:12 AM
you're in the right direction thero.. O0

nobert
12-22-2005, 02:11 AM
boost controller(mbc or ebc)

seskysang
12-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Why would a boost controller not be necessary when using a TBE? Wouldn't boost pressure increase because the exhaust piping is bigger and therefore more exhaust gases come out at a faster rate? Also, wouldn't you consider a boost gauge to be one of the very first modifications for a turbo car? You'd have to keep track of how much boost pressure you're running at.

Terry S
12-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Why would a boost controller not be necessary when using a TBE? Wouldn't boost pressure increase because the exhaust piping is bigger and therefore more exhaust gases come out at a faster rate? Also, wouldn't you consider a boost gauge to be one of the very first modifications for a turbo car? You'd have to keep track of how much boost pressure you're running at.

Because the stock ecu already controls boost as conditions warrant.

Spoolup will shorten because of less backpressure. I dont think boost goes up. I'm sure someone here can confirm/deny that.

If your not doing any tuning on the car, then why would you need a boost guage? Yes its a good indicator of your cars health, but so is an EGT, Oil pressure, volt gauge.

You only need to keep track of the boost if your attempting to control it. At that point, then yes you should have one.

Terry S

silvery_eagle
12-23-2005, 01:33 PM
well said Terry,
but i'm still going to get a boost gauge, gauge pod, and MBC on top of my works p2 flash :p

that's what Goku recommends :)

Absinthe
12-28-2005, 05:06 PM
well said Terry,
but i'm still going to get a boost gauge, gauge pod, and MBC on top of my works p2 flash :p

that's what Goku recommends :)

I hope you are not serious

silvery_eagle
12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
i am... coz i'm getting a MBC to control boost ;)

Absinthe
12-29-2005, 03:42 PM
i am... coz i'm getting a MBC to control boost ;)

Yeah well ask those guys how well that set up works, flashes dont like AM injectors so much. thats why goku's old car with cams made 315whp and I made 305 with out all that crap loaded on to a P2 flash

BoosTHi
12-29-2005, 07:21 PM
interesting !!!

drift_master
01-03-2006, 01:33 PM

i had problems with my intake and had to take it off the same day i put it in. Not all intakes will have problems but the stock air box is designed pretty well already. I think for the most part, the people that have intakes have more mods and piggyback ecus to tune for it. And you diffenitly will not gain as much power as a turboback exhaust. my .02cents
i agree i am running a 3'inch turboback and cars running great O0