PDA

View Full Version : gauges *craziness*

*chris*
11-14-2005, 10:20 AM
ive been wanting to get some defis for a VERY long time now. i am planning on getting the bf ambers boost, o.pressure, egt and a craig hardy panel. my question is ....how hard is it to install everything? do they come with everything i would need?

im not expecting much difficulty with mounting the gauges/control unit. im more concerned with the sensors (or whatever is needed so the guages will actually read). there are no shops close to me so im kinda on my own/friends.

ultraflip
11-14-2005, 10:25 AM
where are you located

kimletrim
11-14-2005, 10:34 AM
ive been wanting to get some defis for a VERY long time now. i am planning on getting the bf ambers boost, o.pressure, egt and a craig hardy panel. my question is ....how hard is it to install everything? do they come with everything i would need?

im not expecting much difficulty with mounting the gauges/control unit. im more concerned with the sensors (or whatever is needed so the guages will actually read). there are no shops close to me so im kinda on my own/friends.

you still in Iowa? No problem either way. Install is not tough, but will take some time. The key is to have all the right tools such as a EGT tap, and adapter elbows for the oil pressure sensor. Other than that there is not much else needed. PM if you have questions.

*chris*
11-14-2005, 10:58 AM
yep still in iowa. >:( i wont be in cali till march ...so ive still got some winter to deal with. do the guages/control unit come with the 'EGT tap, and adapter elbows for the oil pressure sensor'? or would that be purchased somewhere else? any special things required for the boost guage?

ultraflip
11-14-2005, 11:00 AM
nothing special for the boost gauge... straight forward on that... egt tap should've come with it... oil pressure sensor elbows? i didn't need any of that....although i did purchase an oil filter adapter to allow the oil temp sensor to be installed... i got mine from [email protected]

*chris*
11-14-2005, 11:04 AM
would that 'oil filter adapter' be the greddy adapter?

ultraflip
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
yes sir

kimletrim
11-14-2005, 12:33 PM
That's just the thing, you don't need to spend what $40 on an adapter when you can buy $2.00 worth of screw adapter and elbow and use that in place of the plug just above the oil filter. This method works just fine and saves you quite a bit of money. The tap I am talking about for the EGT is not the sensor, but the drill tap you will need to make a hole and threads for the sensor to fit onto you exhuast manifold. Defi does not provide the tap, nor does it provide the adapter elbows.

*chris*
11-14-2005, 01:08 PM
how long does the whole procedure take anyway?

not that it really matters, ive got plenty of time from now until late feb.

CHIGGA73
12-08-2005, 09:55 AM
anyone have pictures of defi bf gauges mounted in the center console? i've been looking and can't seem to find any good pics.

*chris* are you relocating the stereo as well? have you had a chance to finish the project yet? pics?

i'm looking to get some (white lighting)
and would like some ideas on fitment and look. especially of the center console part.

thanks

*chris*
12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
nah i havent even ordered the guages yet, or the craig hardy panel, or the stereo relocation kit. i planned on doing the ambers though, but when i get it done ill def post some pics up for ya to give you an idea. first on the list was to get a dvd player. ima try to get that in tomorrow i think.

QUESTION. do the hvac control knobs just pop off if you pull on them? and then you can unscrew the actual wires/back unit so it doesnt pull anything correct?

WavMixer
12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
nah i havent even ordered the guages yet, or the craig hardy panel, or the stereo relocation kit. i planned on doing the ambers though, but when i get it done ill def post some pics up for ya to give you an idea. first on the list was to get a dvd player. ima try to get that in tomorrow i think.

QUESTION. do the hvac control knobs just pop off if you pull on them? and then you can unscrew the actual wires/back unit so it doesnt pull anything correct?
The 3 HVAC knobs pull off, it's a bit tight the first time. Once the knobs are off, you can access the 2 screws behind the 2 large knobs. Once the screws are out, the panel pulls off.

*chris*
12-13-2005, 08:19 AM
haha yah i did the install that night i asked the question. my friend and i were sitting there and im like, well from what ive seen i think these should just pop off. *pull* LAUNCH ...the knob just flew out of my hand. almost hit the sunroof. :2funny: just gotta get the guages/panel/relocation now.

GokuSSJ4
12-13-2005, 09:50 AM
you should look into getting a different panel besides the craig hardy, i believe gruppe-s.com has a different one.. i dont like the quality the craig hardy panel has..

*chris*
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
well i guess im calling gruppe-s ABS plastic panel the CH panel. thats the one im goin for ...they have an awesome deal on em. like 800 for the panel, defi bfs, and defi controller. i may just get myself another christmas present this week. O0

btw goku ...what didnt you like about the CH panel?

GokuSSJ4
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
since its made out of fiber glass, it doesnt have the factory clips (which is what supports the panel itself) fitment its not the greatest.. (but it can be modify) which mine was) and the damn thing after awhile had some small cracks... :tickedoff:

*chris*
12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
ahhh gotcha. well like i said, i was gonna do the gruppe-s ABS panel thats 'craigh hardy-esque'. O0

gofaster87
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
since its made out of fiber glass, it doesnt have the factory clips (which is what supports the panel itself) fitment its not the greatest.. (but it can be modify) which mine was) and the damn thing after awhile had some small cracks...* :tickedoff:

Yea that piece was pretty ghetto.

steveyoyo
12-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I was also thinking of getting the Gruppe-S defi gauge and panel package. I have an '06 MR, would the new boost and oil temp gauge just plug-in with the oem wiring from the original gauges?

*chris*
12-18-2005, 12:18 AM
im ordering my set tomorrow so i guess unless someone chimes in beforei get them installed, ill let you know. O0

*chris*
12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
ok just reread what you wrote steve ...and i have no clue if they could just plug into the oem. i completely missed that part when i first read it.

just ordered my guages/panel. panel will be here fri and the guages sometie next week. got bf amber imperials ...boost, o.temp, o.pressure. now i gotta get relocation kit.

kimletrim
12-19-2005, 11:35 PM
ok just reread what you wrote steve ...and i have no clue if they could just plug into the oem. i completely missed that part when i first read it.

just ordered my guages/panel. panel will be here fri and the guages sometie next week. got bf amber imperials ...boost, o.temp, o.pressure. now i gotta get relocation kit.

Order relocation kit from 500whp.com!

*chris*
12-19-2005, 11:49 PM
lolz ...shameless plug. i pmed rob to see if he had them since i didnt find it on his site. no response though.

kimletrim
12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
lolz ...shameless plug. i pmed rob to see if he had them since i didnt find it on his site. no response though.

Best way would be to PM him (best price around)

*chris*
12-24-2005, 10:30 AM
guages will be here they say dec30. my panel was supposed to be here yesterday but no show. however my relocation kit showed up and we put down xmen legends for a few min to install it. install was very easy ...i think it took about 10min.

pulled the wires down, the stock radio plugin had a very small amount of slack. last one to be plugged in. for those wondering where i grounded and put the parking brake wire. look at the green and black wires that are crimped together and bolted to the brass bolt.
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11451/normal_DSCF0552a.JPG

the hardest part was putting the deck into the lower din. that damn set of wires that connects to the HVAC controls wouldnt budge. (grey foam in the pic)
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11451/normal_DSCF0553a.JPG

then i had to go back through and reset everything on the deck. and we were gonna leave the stock panel off so we could put the gruppe-s panel in when mr. UPS man showed up.
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11451/normal_DSCF0555a.JPG

but he didnt show up so we had to put the stocker on for the time being.
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11451/normal_DSCF0558a.JPG

the screen is CLEARLY visible in the lower din. no problems with the shifter blocking the view whatsoever. however if youre going to be playing any moving images, i recommend using angle 4. no glare and the image doesnt look distorted. ill get some night shots for you that want them.

*chris*
01-03-2006, 02:54 PM
well i got 2 of 3 gauges now. :-P they forgot to add a boost gauge to the set, but luckily i was only charged for 2. anyways....

the dc source ....red, black, orange, white wires. where did you connect these to? cd player? something else?

also, whered you guys mount your control unit?

DTunedEvoX
01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Do a search for a writeup under author GinuwineEvo8 :angel: Should answer all your color and wire questions :angel:

*chris*
01-03-2006, 10:40 PM
haha well i did a search ...i got nothing. i used writeup, write up, write-up, write ....all under author GinuwineEvo8. if you can find it, ill admit im a failure at searching. :-P

lqdchkn
01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
That's just the thing, you don't need to spend what $40 on an adapter when you can buy $2.00 worth of screw adapter and elbow and use that in place of the plug just above the oil filter.* This method works just fine and saves you quite a bit of money.*

Why spend $2.00 when you could remove the stock oil pressure idiot light sender and put your sending unit there. The idiot light is a normally open circuit so disconnected it will never come on, your defi will have a buzzer anyway.

alan0108
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Is there already an existing hole through the firewall for wires/sensors in a MR? Do we still need drilling?

Does the existing connections or sensors of the stock gauges in a MR work for the DEFI BF gauges? If not, is there directions to install oil pressure/temp gauges? i tried to search, but i can find directions to install boost gauge only. thank you.

*chris*
01-07-2006, 05:55 PM
holy god, its done. i need to get a new oil temp sensor. the one that i got with my defis was partially stripped. the first couple of cm of the starting thread was stripped and then just abruptly starts. so it would kinda start ...then just pop out. which leads me to....

can you buy just a defi oil temp sensor?

check that out for a couple of pics ...or my gallery.
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=16108.0

CHIGGA73
01-18-2006, 10:34 AM
hey i like the pics. i just got my gauges in...Tuning tech said they can't tap the EGT or do any install until next week. :'( i think they are busy getting cars ready for the track weekend. but i was sooo let down cause i've been waiting for 3 weeks for the gauges and now i have to wait another week to get the install done...

so... i'm doing some stuff my self (and leaving the tapping to the pros) and had a question for you or anyone with ideas or tips

how do you secure the gauges in the panel ( have the same panel from gruppe-s)
2 of them are pretty secure and one is loose.

any other ideas and tips for the install would be helpful.

*chris*
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
:2funny: is the gauge thats loose the closest to you?! i cheated and used* super glue. bought a bottle of finger nail polish to keep handy IN CASE i need to take them out.

CHIGGA73
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
hahaha

it is the one closes to me. i put the buffer strips on the sides and squeezed them in. the far 2 are pretty secure. but the one closest is still a bit loose.

finger nail polish to take off he super glue? hows that work?

*chris*
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
well i put a small amount on each gauge. i just set the panel with the gauges face down on a table and just applied a small amount along the edge for a few cm.

yes it does. dont ask me how ...im no chemist. but i had a tube blow up in my hand one day (not the gauges day) and i ran downstairs and raided my grandmas medicine cabinet and just dowsed my hand in fingernail polish, and scrubbed the hell outta my fingers. it works.

so im thinking if i need to change them out or whatever, just dip a cuetip in FP and start eating the glue away.

that was also my most loose gauge too. same thing ...other two were pretty tight but the first one wasnt.

CHIGGA73
01-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Do you mean fingernail polish remover? or the actual fingernail polish?

*chris*
01-18-2006, 05:03 PM
:2funny: DAMNIT ...yes remover. my bad.

*chris*
01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
shweet. replacement temp sensor came. everything is installed and done. the gauges all funciton properly. looks frickin awesome. O0 O0

couple of questions though....
whats the standard oil pressure when idling? mine hovers right around 20. but when i come to stop ...itll dip down to 15. the standard defi warning is set just above 20. that damn beep is annoying.

which leads me to....
anyone have trouble with the settings on the control unit? everytime i turn the car off, then back on ...its like it never saved my warning points. i realize it could be that the memory wire isnt making full contact. and yes i will check that if need be. anyone else have/had this problem?

CHIGGA73
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
*chrs* i just finished mine. i'll get pics when i can

where did you connect the wires to? red, black, orange, white?

*chris*
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
i connected mine through my cd player harness. i believe like this...

defi CU - headunit harness
red-red ..power
black-black ..ground
orange-yellow ..battery/memory/ignition
white-white ..illumination

i believe thats how i hooked it up. im not 100% ....more like 98%. it all works just fine ...just not the warning settings. for some reason it reverts to defis standard warnings every time i turn the car off. :? >:(

DAMN BEEP! (just for the record, if i end up in a nuthouse ...youll know why)

CHIGGA73
01-27-2006, 03:45 PM
i think the trick is to make sure the red power wire is connected to a constant source of power, even when the ignition is off, or keys are out. the orange is just a trigger.

if the red is wired to a power source that isn't constant, it will lose the memory...

wire tester with the car off to check if the wire is live still.

if you've already done this, then i'm an idiot and i'm wasting your time
you might have a problem with the control unit.

*chris*
01-27-2006, 10:42 PM
well like i said, its connected through my jvc wiring harness. that keeps its settings all the time ...just not the control unit. its more of an inconvenience at the moment. all i do adjust the oil pressure down a little so when it rests at 20psi during idle it doesnt beep at me.

otherwise id be in that nuthouse.... :uglystupid2:

*chris*
01-31-2006, 05:12 PM
what the hell else can go wrong with this?!?! overview.....

received 2 abs panels so i had to send one back. no problem.

oil temp sensor came stripped from the factory. wth? get charged 75 to replace it. bitchin.
to go along with that ...we almost destroyed my engine finding that out. isntalled it along with the pressure sensor and when i turned the car on and reved it quick. the pressure blew it out. sudden loss of 5quarts of oil. shweet. (long story)

get the new sensor installed and everythings working fine ....until this weekend. went to the twin cities with some friends for a little getaway. noticed my pressure gauge was reading a constant 120psi. ok. somethings wrong. start it up in the morning, everythings fine. by the time the oil heats up to normal operating temps it starts reading constant psi ...usually 80-120. great ...so i ask lyle (friends dad) about it. conclusion - pressure sensor is screwed up. amazing ...just amazing. ive decided to just let it go for awhile since im not in the mood to spend another 75bucks for a new sensor or deal with it right now.

am i just cursed? im beginning to think so. i love my car but damnit ...if this is a sign of things to come, she might just stay very close to stock for quite some time.

:tickedoff: :-\ >:( :buck2:
[/end rant]

CHIGGA73
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
*chris*

did you have a problem with the sensors not screwing in very tight?
my oil temp sensor is tapered and it only goes in maybe one turn and stops. is this right? you have the greddy oil block adapter right?

the one i got has two spots to put it in and it doesn't allow the sensor to be screwed in very far...i'm afraid it will strip the sensor. i want to know for sure before i apply any force and end up having to buy a new adapter and new sensor.

*chris*
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
yah i have the greddy adapter. theres 3 holes ....i put them in the 2 smaller ones. yes its tight. but actually once you start applying some force to screw them in tighter they go in just fine. i had to use my friends dads vice to hold my adapter so i could get them down in.

and from what we could tell ...there were no stripping problems. i had to back out the pressure sensor to put some teflon coating on it as well ...and when we got it out, the threads in the hole & on the sensor looked perfect.

we didnt tighten them all the way. we stopped when there was about an 1/8in left before the sensors would touch the adapter.