PDA

View Full Version : 264/280 cam setup

Dmoney
11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Alright is it possible to run 264s with 280 cams on our Evo? I dont know anyone that has this setup so i figured it was for a reason. Would the timing be off? problems with lobing?

WavMixer
11-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Why would you want to do this? 264 duration intake should not require 280 degrees of duration to scavenge the exhaust. I don't even think anyone has run a 272/280 combination as of yet.

Dmoney
11-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Why would you want to do this? 264 duration intake should not require 280 degrees of duration to scavenge the exhaust. I don't even think anyone has run a 272/280 combination as of yet.

Which would make sense why no one runs 264/280s. I wasnt planning on running this setup just curious on why it is not a setup used. With your explanation it makes sense to me on why it would take that long to expell the exhaus when the air that is being recieved is not exiting as fast as its taking in. it would just build up alot of pressure. Thanks Wav!

EvoPwr
11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't even think anyone has run a 272/280 combination as of yet.

:2funny: no comment

GokuSSJ4
11-15-2005, 04:43 PM

you're wrong, you dont know most of the oc crew and their leader LOL...
the set up is crazy and its ment mainly for top end... but if thats the idea ... then its worth looking into that type of set up .. other wise you can look into some different alternatives like
264/272 272/272 by HKS
or Tomei 270/270 11.5mm (valvetrain is required)
Jun 272/272 10.8mm
or even piper cams 272/272 12.0mm

WavMixer
11-15-2005, 05:34 PM

the set up is crazy and its ment mainly for top end... but if thats the idea ... then its worth looking into that type of set up .. other wise you can look into some different alternatives like
264/272 272/272 by HKS
Jun 272/272 10.8mm
I'll agree that I don't know most of the OC crew, or who their leader is. What staggered combinations are they running? 264/280?

Dmoney
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM

264/272 272/272 by HKS
Jun 272/272 10.8mm
or even piper cams 272/272 12.0mm*

why is a valvetrain required for 270/270? *explain!

GokuSSJ4
11-15-2005, 06:22 PM

264/272 272/272 by HKS
Jun 272/272 10.8mm

why is a valvetrain required for 270/270? explain!

its required due to the lift , notice that HKS cams only have a 10.2/10.8mm lift which is barly ok for valvetrain, the rest of the cams have either 11.5mm/10.8 or 11.5mm lift .... which is too much for stock valvetrain... so valvetrain is required...

264/272 272/272 by HKS
Jun 272/272 10.8mm
I'll agree that I don't know most of the OC crew, or who their leader is. What staggered combinations are they running? 264/280?

some one is running 272/280 ... is not the best set up for stock turbo... aftermarket turbo in the other hand , its the way to go

BOO5150
11-16-2005, 05:21 AM
So it's okay to run the hks cams on stock valvetrain or is it better to upgrade?

ultraflip
11-16-2005, 07:24 AM
I don't even think anyone has run a 272/280 combination as of yet.

:2funny: no comment

interesting combo

GokuSSJ4
11-16-2005, 10:32 AM
So it's okay to run the hks cams on stock valvetrain or is it better to upgrade?

on the HKS 264/264, 264/272 and 272/272 its ok on the stock valvetrain, you have several or most members doing it..
But beware that there was a topic a while back that was discuss on evom.net regarding stock valvetrain and aftermarket cams... they say some clearance issues that was cause by it.. Also if i remember correctly, at the begining David Buschur also posted that the stock valve springs on the evo are weaker then the previous DSM, so you were risking it by running HKS cams due to the different lift vs stock...

ErroR
11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I am still curious why nobody is running the 272/264 combo. You develop a hell of a lot of torque and horsepower. If you look at the stock camshafts the inake cam has a longer duration than the exhaust cam. The setup has been tested and works.

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I am still curious why nobody is running the 272/264 combo. You develop a hell of a lot of torque and horsepower. If you look at the stock camshafts the inake cam has a longer duration than the exhaust cam. The setup has been tested and works.

i dont think theres many evo owners that are willing to test or experiment certain set ups :P

ultraflip
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
that setup that error's referring to is already being run w/ many other evo owners.. mainly east coast people though

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 11:16 AM
that setup that error's referring to is already being run w/ many other evo owners.. mainly east coast people though

yeah, but no socal peeps.... especially being tune on 91 octane.. that would show some true results that we can relate too.
i might get my hand on some jun cams tho 272/272 10.8mm (lash)

ultraflip
11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
O.K.

Coolguy949
11-17-2005, 11:17 AM

This is very common for N/A motors too.

tabio42
11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Would running a bigger intake cam and smaller exhaust cam idle more similarly to the other staggered setup? Or does it depend on cam timing and how much overlap you have.

BTW does anyone know the safe maximum tolerances of cam timing adjustment +x degrees to -x degrees?
I want to do an experiment on the dyno without changing the tune but just changing the cam timing and see what happens.

Maybe try different degrees of both retard, then intake advanced (or just not as retarded) and exhaust retarded. Maybe the latter will make buttloads of torque. That would be spiffy.

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 04:40 PM
by adjusting via cam gears ?

WavMixer
11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Would running a bigger intake cam and smaller exhaust cam idle more similarly to the other staggered setup? Or does it depend on cam timing and how much overlap you have.

BTW does anyone know the safe maximum tolerances of cam timing adjustment +x degrees to -x degrees?
I want to do an experiment on the dyno without changing the tune but just changing the cam timing and see what happens.

Maybe try different degrees of both retard, then intake advanced (or just not as retarded) and exhaust retarded. Maybe the latter will make buttloads of torque. That would be spiffy.
The rough idle is from the overlap where the intake and exhaust valves are both open at the same time. Less overlap = smoother idle.

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 05:04 PM

The rough idle is from the overlap where the intake and exhaust valves are both open at the same time. Less overlap = smoother idle.

not necessary, since you do get the same on other cams with less duration but way more lift then stocks or HKS cams..

WavMixer
11-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I'll be the first to admit I have much to learl about the 4G63, but in general, on old fashioned push rod motors, my previous statement stands. Most all cam grinders added lift with duration. Along with duration comes overlap. I don't recall any cam grinds that were all lift, no duration.

GokuSSJ4
11-18-2005, 12:32 AM
I'll be the first to admit I have much to learl about the 4G63, but in general, on old fashioned push rod motors, my previous statement stands. Most all cam grinders added lift with duration. Along with duration comes overlap. I don't recall any cam grinds that were all lift, no duration.

here is an example, you have the HKS cams 272/272 with 10.2mm/10.8mm lift which dont have a smooth idle..
well the piper cams are the same way (idle issue)
but the specs are different 265/265 (less duration than HKS cams) with 10.8mm/11.5mm lift

STFU Tuning
11-18-2005, 01:56 PM

here is an example, you have the HKS cams 272/272 with 10.2mm/10.8mm lift which dont have a smooth idle..
but the specs are different 265/265 (less duration than HKS cams) with 10.8mm/11.5mm lift

I run HKS 280/280 and the idle is smooth as silk at 1000rpm.... I'm also on stock cam gears, thus running 0/0....

GokuSSJ4
11-18-2005, 05:46 PM

I run HKS 280/280 and the idle is smooth as silk at 1000rpm.... I'm also on stock cam gears, thus running 0/0....

BAH! we are giving examples with stock ECU not EMS.. with EMS everything is possible....
BTW
does UTEC have idle control ?

earlyapex
11-18-2005, 06:49 PM
BAH! we are giving examples with stock ECU not EMS.. with EMS everything is possible....
BTW
does UTEC have idle control ?

ECU+ has idle control using Idle Smoothing and MAS HZ low clamping.

WavMixer
11-18-2005, 08:23 PM

Do both cam manufacturers measure the cams the same way? I don't recall exactly where, but I recall reading that not all cam grinders use the same standard. Regardless of this, you insinuated that people were using the 264/280 combination. I haven't read about this, can you point me in the right direction? This sounds interesting. I would also be interested in how many degrees overlap the stock/HKS/Piper cams have. It would be nice to have all of this information posted in one place.

gofaster87
11-18-2005, 08:26 PM
A 264/280 combo would be shit on the low end. Might as well buy a big laggy turbo.

Do both cam manufacturers measure the cams the same way? I don't recall exactly where, but I recall reading that not all cam grinders use the same standard. Regardless of this, you insinuated that people were using the 264/280 combination. I haven't read about this, can you point me in the right direction? This sounds interesting.

WavMixer
11-18-2005, 08:28 PM
A 264/280 combo would be shit on the low end. Might as well buy a big laggy turbo.

Do both cam manufacturers measure the cams the same way? I don't recall exactly where, but I recall reading that not all cam grinders use the same standard. Regardless of this, you insinuated that people were using the 264/280 combination. I haven't read about this, can you point me in the right direction? This sounds interesting.

I would think it would be shit on the top end too.

gofaster87
11-18-2005, 09:39 PM
It would actually perform much better than what you would see on the bottom end. The combo would have no problem with expending gasses.

WavMixer
11-18-2005, 11:28 PM
It would actually perform much better than what you would see on the bottom end. The combo would have no problem with expending gasses.
Yeah, but would seem to be craving more fuel. More fuel+air= more power.

STFU Tuning
11-18-2005, 11:43 PM
No, the UTEC does not have idle control.

gofaster87
11-19-2005, 12:02 AM
What it puts out and what its capable of are two different things. You are assuming the person putting the combo on there car wants to get full potential out of their car. This is not the case with most evo owners.

GokuSSJ4
11-19-2005, 02:40 PM

Do both cam manufacturers measure the cams the same way? I don't recall exactly where, but I recall reading that not all cam grinders use the same standard. Regardless of this, you insinuated that people were using the 264/280 combination. I haven't read about this, can you point me in the right direction? This sounds interesting. I would also be interested in how many degrees overlap the stock/HKS/Piper cams have. It would be nice to have all of this information posted in one place.

we do have cam specs on the FAQ section.. i know i need to gather more information on that subject... cam over lap and duration .. I'm sure different manufactors measure the cams differently, but you can at least get an idea to what duration and lift are....

GokuSSJ4
11-19-2005, 02:41 PM

i can get my hands on a UTEC unit, can you see benefits over the SAFC ? (if cost is not an issue)

STFU Tuning
11-19-2005, 03:36 PM

i can get my hands on a UTEC unit, can you see benefits over the SAFC ? (if cost is not an issue)

Yes, you can see benefits. If cost isn't an issue at all, it works pretty well.

GokuSSJ4
11-19-2005, 03:56 PM

once i have everythign ready.. i will let you know!
you will understand once i have completed my project why i want something better then the SAFC, but not as extreme as the EMS..

STFU Tuning
11-19-2005, 04:28 PM

you will understand once i have completed my project why i want something better then the SAFC, but not as extreme as the EMS..

No problem. It sounds like you have something good planned out and it should be fun. I assume you want something like the UTEC because of OBD2 compliance. I rarely consider the EMS extreme anymore, but thats cause I tune alot of them.

WavMixer
11-21-2005, 12:30 PM
What it puts out and what its capable of are two different things. You are assuming the person putting the combo on there car wants to get full potential out of their car. This is not the case with most evo owners.

This is what I'm having a hard time understanding. Why would someone go through all this trouble for a very minor gain if any?

gofaster87
11-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Darwin, you should know better than to listen to Goku(Tom) and his plans. They always include hair gel and tacotone.

No problem. It sounds like you have something good planned out and it should be fun. I assume you want something like the UTEC because of OBD2 compliance. I rarely consider the EMS extreme anymore, but thats cause I tune alot of them.

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2005, 01:24 PM
you WAB!

STFU Tuning
11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Now I know why I miss this place so much when I take a break. :2funny:

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2005, 02:35 PM
LOL Is it because of Sam ? :?

Dmoney
11-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Someone posted on the tech forums about Works 269 cams...Would you need to upgrade the valvtrain for those also?

ultraflip
11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
YES

Dmoney
11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
YES

there are so many combinations of cams!!

ultraflip
11-21-2005, 03:19 PM
i heard 272i/280e works wonders... goku has experienced it... ask him for the results

tama_mog
11-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Someone posted on the tech forums about Works 269 cams...Would you need to upgrade the valvtrain for those also?

No, but if you're plannin to rev higher...u might want to think about valve springs. but having hks cams or works 269 cams u can run around doin 7800 all day and it should be fine granted the tune is fine.

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2005, 03:53 PM
i might try 280/280's :wink:

ultraflip
11-21-2005, 04:02 PM
pm me goku on that idea... i have some stuff about that

EvoPwr
11-21-2005, 04:21 PM
i might try 280/280's :wink:

DO IT! you won't be disappointed unless you try and run SOW

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
if everything goes as plan, you might be suprise LOL...

WavMixer
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
YES

there are so many combinations of cams!!

i heard 272i/280e works wonders... goku has experienced it... ask him for the results
Actually this was all started about the 264/280 combo. Does anyone actually use this setup?

kimletrim
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Interesting....

SiverMR
11-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Would the Tomei cams work in a staggerd setup Procam 260in and 270ex?

GokuSSJ4
11-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Would the Tomei cams work in a staggerd setup Procam 260in and 270ex?

you can try it , but there: 1. expensive and 2. hard to get
also you will need valvesprings with it

ultraflip
11-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Actually this was all started about the 264/280 combo. Does anyone actually use this setup?

use the 264/280 setup? not that anyone is aware of.... dmoney posted a theoretical question to whether or not it was possible to run such a set up

gofaster87
11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Whats with everyones obsession of having the largest cam stagger around?

ultraflip
11-23-2005, 02:05 PM
it was just a damn question... don't cry about it now

gofaster87
11-23-2005, 02:12 PM

And your questions are always worthless. Go build something with your bamboo.

ultraflip
11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
go get some viagra

EvoPwr
11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
go get some viagra

don't you have some cris?

Dmoney
11-23-2005, 04:23 PM

actually it was my question... :oops: :oops: :oops:

kipper215
11-23-2005, 04:39 PM

that's it now i want 290 bamboo cams with a hollow shafts O0

WavMixer
11-23-2005, 05:30 PM

use the 264/280 setup? not that anyone is aware of.... dmoney posted a theoretical question to whether or not it was possible to run such a set up
I didn't think anyone had run this setup, but I thought that Goku said there were people that have.

WavMixer
11-23-2005, 05:32 PM

GokuSSJ4
11-23-2005, 05:46 PM

different then 264/280's ... :P

ultraflip
11-23-2005, 06:09 PM
goooo goku!

WavMixer
11-23-2005, 06:28 PM

BAH! Details, shmetails. I just like debating with you and seeing you get all twiterwitted. ;) So people are running the staggerd 272/280 combo but nobody is running a 264/280 combo. That's all I wanted to know. You gonna give me a ride around Streets next week if I come out to watch?

EvoPwr
11-23-2005, 06:56 PM
you should go 280i/264e

genrec
11-23-2005, 09:21 PM
im will be trying out the newly realeased....285/301 cams from Tein...i heard they make crazy mad power.. O0

GokuSSJ4
11-23-2005, 09:32 PM

BAH! Details, shmetails. I just like debating with you and seeing you get all twiterwitted. ;)* So people are running the staggerd 272/280 combo but nobody is running a 264/280 combo. That's all I wanted to know. You gonna give me a ride around Streets next week if I come out to watch?

LOL sure !
i dont take anyone out on the first session tho, since im trying to figure out the track, trying to remember some lines as well as getting use to certain things (especially with the new adquire set up O0 )

well that type of cam stagger set up is for all top end (works great for peak power ) or with the right turbo combination...

ultraflip
11-25-2005, 03:11 PM
what do you think would be the right turbo?

EvoPwr
11-27-2005, 06:12 PM
35R all top end monster.

yellowevov111
12-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I am using the 280 combo and love the top end power. It still idles well too.

ultraflip
12-01-2005, 09:25 AM
which combo?

gunnerman
01-23-2006, 08:26 PM
just go with 272s with cam gears..more streetable than 280s

myfastevo8
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I have an evo 8 with lots off mods stock turbo and hotside i have a steup 272 intake 280 exhaust and the exhaust is a bit louder on the cam sound but performance wise it gave me alot of power specially at top end i spank my friends evo 9 with same exact things as i do maybe with even less and i take him. try my setup get tuned and youll love it.

EVOla_VIRUS
06-03-2007, 01:17 PM

I ran 272I/264E on my VIII and the car ran very strong. There are a couple of other people on the boards running this as well. I figured I would stagger because the stock cams are staggered. The supra guys stagger also due to the flow characteristics of a stock head. Maybe that why mitsu did it.

ziggity
06-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Any comments on this? I am considering 272/264 as well.