PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! ACD MALFUNCTION

evotistic
11-17-2005, 12:09 PM
My car is at the tranny shop after getting my clutch replaced, and the ACD has started to malfunction. All three lights remain on, and no longer adjust between settings. Has anybody had this problem yet, and if so, what needed to be fixed? I have to let the tranny guys know, because they can't figure it out and haven't gotten word back from Mitsu's techs. Thanks in advance...

Blaze
11-17-2005, 12:30 PM
I would speak with the manager there.

Tell them that if they cannot resolve the issue that you will need the car towed on a trailer to Mitsubishi and for their shop to cover the costs of transport and repair. Unless it's a mom/pops place, that should be pretty standard.

Good luck.

Macky
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
sounds like they somehow probably damaged or threw off the center diff when they replaced the clutch (center diff i believe is below and behind the engine, just under the firewall). i would have it towed to them and fix it. thats pretty bad.

ultraflip
11-17-2005, 01:01 PM
a shot in the dark here...

please be advised that when doing a clutch install on an 05...
you need the MUT tool to activate the ACD pump in order to bleed it properly.
the tool that allows dealers to bleed the ACD line is propeitary and Mitsu will not sell it. However the people who have taken off the trans have figured out a way to bleed the line without the tool.

that MAY be the cause of having all 3 lights come on at one time... sort of like an "error" code... think of it as a check active center differential light...

evotistic
11-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys...I have been on the phone with the shop and I think it's getting them a better idea of what to look for and what is wrong. Keep the ideas coming...anything is appreciated. I'll keep you guys posted.

B

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 04:37 PM
a shot in the dark here...

please be advised that when doing a clutch install on an 05...
you need the MUT tool to activate the ACD pump in order to bleed it properly.
the tool that allows dealers to bleed the ACD line is propeitary and Mitsu will not sell it. However the people who have taken off the trans have figured out a way to bleed the line without the tool.

that MAY be the cause of having all 3 lights come on at one time... sort of like an "error" code... think of it as a check active center differential light...
thats good to know! glad that im not trying to purchase an aftermarket clutch... i'm sure stock clutch is more then enough for over 350whp

gen4k20a2
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
i was told by a mechanic at HB mitsu that the clutch for the EVO is crap.

rammsteinmatt
11-17-2005, 04:58 PM

and?.............

break clutch, or break tranny and/or transfercase

the clutch is weak for a reason, aparently

gofaster87
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
There is a way to change the clutch without disconnecting the ACD. Guy out here that does home clutch installs on the evo figured it out and it saves time.

GokuSSJ4
11-17-2005, 05:03 PM

LOL i guess :roll: over 11 track days, several tofu runs, over 310whp , near 31k miles on my old 03 and the clutch performend like new....
never had a problem with it

gen4k20a2
11-17-2005, 05:12 PM
hey im just saying what a qualified mechanic told me and he was even at the time working on an evo. I asked him if he any complaints about the car what would they be. he said the clutch was a piece basically.

gofaster87
11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Well theres 2 guys out here that drag race quite a bit. One kid launches everywhere he goes and at the track and his clutch lasted 20k miles. Another guy that hangs out with him bought an 05 and drags alot as well but fried his in 3k miles. Both drive about the same.

gen4k20a2
11-17-2005, 06:08 PM
well tehn that right there shows the poor quality and lack of quality control i guess...if not then they obviously drive differently

earlyapex
11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
well tehn that right there shows the poor quality and lack of quality control i guess...if not then they obviously drive differently

LOL. Yea, couldn't be because they launch the car everywhere. Naw, not at all.

6 track events, 19k miles, countless street "events" and my clutch is fine. I have launched the car twice since I have owned it.

Blaze
11-17-2005, 10:14 PM

LOL i guess :roll: over 11 track days, several tofu runs, over 310whp , near 31k miles on my old 03 and the clutch performend like new....

People who say the clutch is crap are usually the same people learning to drive....
Funny how those "experts" blame the car....

kcross
11-18-2005, 03:40 AM
besides, its not actually the clutch thats so terrible, its the flywheel thats the weak link. it dissapates heat poorly. however thats still no reason for people to eat through these clutches like they do.

Macky
11-18-2005, 08:58 AM

People who say the clutch is crap are usually the same people learning to drive....
Funny how those "experts" blame the car....

high performance car + low quality n00b = fried clutch.

gen4k20a2
11-18-2005, 11:04 AM
i found this on the MACH V website

The clutch on the Evo is a pull-type (most cars use a push-type). Designed by Exedy, it uses a strap-drive pressure plate for (relatively) low noise and high torque capacity.

Exedy makes some good stuff so i dont see they clutch being as bad as the service guy said

ultraflip
11-18-2005, 11:05 AM
*designed by exedy... backed by mitsubishi..

kinda like saying *strong enough for a man... but made for a woman

Macky
11-18-2005, 11:10 AM
i found this on the MACH V website

The clutch on the Evo is a pull-type (most cars use a push-type). Designed by Exedy, it uses a strap-drive pressure plate for (relatively) low noise and high torque capacity.

Exedy makes some good stuff so i dont see they clutch being as bad as the service guy said

its really not the clutch. its user error. we've had several evos (2 03's. 2 05's, 1 06) and nary a problem with the clutch. ever.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM
dude...its driver like many ppl have already mentioned. ive had my car for over a year with 23k miles, countless track days...3rd set of brake pads...4th set of tires...and my stock clutch is still goin strong with 360 wtq

evotistic
11-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Well...the shop tried their best, but to no avail....looks like a trip to mitsu for a a checkup. Which dealership is most mod friendly?

Blaze
11-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Well...the shop tried their best, but to no avail....looks like a trip to mitsu for a a checkup. Which dealership is most mod friendly?

That's a question everyone asks and everyone else will answer.

In your situation it should not matter because you are not making a warranty claim. You are in there for full priced / paid service. They should love you no matter what you have done.

But that said....take it to HB.

evotistic
11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Well...the shop tried their best, but to no avail....looks like a trip to mitsu for a a checkup.* Which dealership is most mod friendly?

In your situation it should not matter because you are not making a warranty claim.* You are in there for full priced / paid service.* They should love you no matter what you have done.

The ACD wouldn't be warranty? It was fine before the replacement....I mean I know the clutch isn't warranty, but why wouldn't the ACD be covered?

GokuSSJ4
11-21-2005, 09:25 AM

In your situation it should not matter because you are not making a warranty claim. You are in there for full priced / paid service. They should love you no matter what you have done.

The ACD wouldn't be warranty? It was fine before the replacement....I mean I know the clutch isn't warranty, but why wouldn't the ACD be covered?

because some one else tamper with the equipment already, so the blame or malfunctioning would be blame on that.

ultraflip
11-21-2005, 10:07 AM
his car's busted.. that sucks

Macky
11-21-2005, 10:22 AM

if by virtue of replacing the clutch something else was hurt/damaged in the process...that will kill any and all possibility of warranty replacement.

if a dealer performed the work and damaged your ACD, then that will be covered. but seeing as another shop did the work and effed up, you will end up paying for the damage.

sorry but thats just how it goes.

WickedMR
11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
My car is at the tranny shop after getting my clutch replaced, and the ACD has started to malfunction. All three lights remain on, and no longer adjust between settings. Has anybody had this problem yet, and if so, what needed to be fixed? I have to let the tranny guys know, because they can't figure it out and haven't gotten word back from Mitsu's techs. Thanks in advance...

hey man when i had my clutch changed a while back, i had this same problem. There are a couple reasons why the light stay on simutaneously. 1. Low fluid. check the acd fluid resevoir. 2. From what i remember.. something about the cold. If it is too cold the lights come on. When all lights are on. Your ACD will function in the Tarmac mode if i remember correctly. Ill double check for ya tomorrow. O0

gen4k20a2
11-22-2005, 10:48 AM
hey if the clutch guys messed your car up....they have to pay for it. If not take them to small claims court and make them cause thats an easy case that youll win.

If its a small matter like wikedMR says then itll save you TONS of hassle but if not you shouldnt have to pay for it.

DTunedEvoX
11-22-2005, 11:04 AM
33k maybe 50 launches on my stock 04 clutch ... *shrug* Might not be as grippy as it used to be but still holds the power ... ;)

evotistic
11-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. Here is the situation. The shop that did the install is willing to pay for the work needed to fix the ACD. The owner of the shop is a good guy, and I think was just overwhelmed by the job(I didn't realize the Evo clutch was so difficult to replace). His shop is where Miller Mitsubishi outsources their transmission jobs out to if I understand correctly. I will check the fluid level, and maybe that is the source of the malfunction. And I have had my MR for just over 25K miles.....no hard launches other than normal daily driving, beating traffic, etc...it hasn't been dragged or tracked....and I have been driving a manual for 10 years....In actuality and all honesty, I had one stupid night and am now suffering the consequences of that incident. My fault, my shame. Anyway, hopefully I can get it up and running correctly soon. All in all though, the ACT clutch is great. Pedal pressure is very close to stock, but the engagement is just a tad harsher. The only thing I dislike about it is driving in traffic. But I dislike traffic in automatics also.....

kcross
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
its nice to know that there are shops out there that will still back their work or mistakes.

kaj
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
hey man when i had my clutch changed a while back, i had this same problem. There are a couple reasons why the light stay on simutaneously. 1. Low fluid. check the acd fluid resevoir. 2. From what i remember.. something about the cold. If it is too cold the lights come on. When all lights are on. Your ACD will function in the Tarmac mode if i remember correctly. Ill double check for ya tomorrow

back from the dead!!

any word on this? my ACD lights all go on any time i get on the freeway. anything over 50mph, or so, it would seem. i HAVE to drive the car to work.. i just need to know that i'm not hurting anything.
of course, each time i restart the car, the lights go back to normal. until i'm on the freeway again.
i don't care if the lights are on or if i can switch tarmac/gravel/snow... i just don't want to break anything.

anyone?