PDA

View Full Version : Evo X to be available with both DSG and 5-speed manual

apexstrafer
11-22-2005, 11:16 AM
in case you were worried (like me) that the evo 10 would only come as a chicktronic twatomatic, check out the good news according to autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103646

Evo edification

Lovers of the true manual gearbox—you know, the one with a clutch pedal that you actually push with your foot—will be happy to hear that a five-speed close-ratio manual transmission will be offered on Mitsubishi’s 2007 Evolution X. Our cover story (Oct. 24) spoke only of the six-speed auto/manual gearbox (dubbed Automatic Direct Select Gear, or DSG) on the Evo X concept shown at the Tokyo motor show in October, prompting an AutoWeek reader’s anguished letter (Nov.14) decrying Mitsubishi’s failure to offer a true manual tranny.

Not so, Mitsubishi officials assure us: The next Evo will come with either the DSG or the five-speed manual.

The emergency is over. Please go back to your rooms.

thank god.

silvery_eagle
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
good... now go back to your rooms ... lol

hksevo8
11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Why would anyone think they would just offer one tranny? MY god people, as long as there is an Evo, I think it is safe to say they will be offered with a clutch pedal.

Miss Evo8
11-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Great now the Venti Extra Whip Extra Syrup Frapaccino sipping Cell phone talking overweight Soccer Moms are going to be driving Evo's if they have that optional DSG crap! :tickedoff:

kipper215
11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Great now the Venti Extra Whip Extra Syrup Frapaccino sipping Cell phone talking overweight Soccer Moms are going to be driving Evo's if they have that optional DSG crap!* :tickedoff:

:2funny: funny

Terry S
11-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Great now the Venti Extra Whip Extra Syrup Frapaccino sipping Cell phone talking overweight Soccer Moms are going to be driving Evo's if they have that optional DSG crap!* :tickedoff:

mmm extra whip.

Terry S

donatevo
11-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Good to know the Evo has an auto tranny, but i still prefer the manual clutch, better control.

Macky
11-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Good to know the Evo has an auto tranny, but i still prefer the manual clutch, better control.

and cheaper :grin:

tabio42
11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
It's not really an auto tranny though is it? I thought it was like BMW - manual tranny with computer controlled clutch slave. If that's the case, there is no downside except that you can't really heel toe. Which most of us can't do anyway.

EVO Neil
11-22-2005, 09:46 PM
It's very apparent that not one of you commenting about the DSG trans knows anything about it, which is a shame because it's so much better than the SMG box in the BMWor the F1 box in the Ferrari's. And yes, it is a manual transmission with not one but two clutches, two main shafts and faster shifts than you can ever think about doing with a manual trans.

apexstrafer
11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
I for one am quite aware of how a DSG tranny works. it essentially has the next gear engaged for you before you even shift. very effective, and its kind of cool how it automatically rev-matches on downshifts. however, after driving cars with gearboxes of this type, I'm left feeling as though I'm missing out on one of the most satisfying and rewarding elements of "spirited" driving; perfectly executed shifting, especially heel-toe downshifts.

Blak94GSX
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I find it really hard to remain optimistic about the automatic tranny in the EVO X. Mitsu is not a company known for making decent trannies... Also, the BMW, Porsche, and Ferrari implementations all took many years to make work properly. The BMW version still sucks ass, the Porsche sucks ass except in the Carerra GT in which case it is just OK, and the Ferrari version is the true benchmark and would be awesome if the paddles were actually on the steering wheel instead of fixed behind it...

I can't see Mitsu, #1 developing a half-decent version... ever... and #2 in the unlikely event it did happen, it wouldn't be cost-effective...

On the other hand, I hope I'm wrong...

genrec
11-22-2005, 11:52 PM
they also said the 2007 X....so is it safe to say the IX will be out for a year or a bit more?

Blaze
11-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Dude, they only offer one tranny now.
What are you talking about. :grin:

Why would anyone think they would just offer one tranny?