PDA

View Full Version : car is running like hell, help me!!!

rsmatt
11-22-2005, 08:53 PM
i am having some sort of problem that i cant figure out. i drive an o4 evo and i have 780cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 272i/e cams, and an afc. now recently i went to a gredy type s bov due to the fact that my stock bov would start leaking at 9psi. well once i added the type s the car felt realy strong due to the boost leak being fixed but in the past couple of days something has gone wrong. now the car is pulling timing like crazy and when it comes on boost at part throtle it realy does'nt want to go any where. i can watch the boost come up on the gauge and the car hesitates then starts to go, but it realy does'nt get going much. as i said this problem has just recently started happening. i went ahead and readjusted the spring on the bov tighter just to make sure that was'nt the problem but it did'nt help. i have also gone back through my afc settings and everthing looks good. i dont know what to do and i dont want to let the car blow the motor. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. also i know some of you guys are hard on misspelling and puctuation so i all i can say is sorry.

j_nizzle
11-22-2005, 11:13 PM
did you readjust the boost after installing the bov? maybe that is the issue. you were boosting on the stock bov at a certain psi/bar....and now you have to readjust it for the greddy...

Blaze
11-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Check/Do a few things:

1. do the spring mod to your BOV and retune (the valve) if you've not already done so.
2. double check all air related connections (intercooler pipes/intake piping/bov connection to the intake)
3. reset the ecu. turn your boost down to 1.3 bar and re-log. (please post your log if you get the chance)

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 05:12 PM
ok im going to be doing a leak test here in about an hour. once that is eliminated i will go ahead and reset the ecu and post up a log.

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 08:03 PM
well i just got done doing a leak test and found nothing :-(. i did notice that my rings seem to have just a bit of blow by though, it took about 5 mins for it to leak from 15psi down to 5psi through the motor its self. is that something to be concernd about or is that normal? so now that the leak is eleminated what else do you think it could be?

earlyapex
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
You need to richen up your safc. When I installed a MR metal BOV (replacing my stocker), the car ran lean as hell, probably because the stocker was leaking.

I had to richen up the safc about 3 points in the midrang and 4 up top.

Don't blow your motor. :-o

You have anyway of monitoring your timing or AFR?

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 08:14 PM
You need to richen up your safc. When I installed a MR metal BOV (replacing my stocker), the car ran lean as hell, probably because the stocker was leaking.

I had to richen up the safc about 3 points in the midrang and 4 up top.

Don't blow your motor.* :-o

You have anyway of monitoring your timing or AFR?
i have a logger and a wide band. my afr is 10.6-10.7, i tried changing the setting on the afc but it did nothing exept make it too rich.

turbolarry
11-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Have you double checked your wiring?

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 09:11 PM
i double checked the wiring on the afc and every thing looked good. i also just pulled the spark plugs and noticed they wher almost lose as in barely finger snug, i was able to take one of them out with out a ratchet atached. i wonder if that could have caused the problem?

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 09:37 PM
ok well i guse that was not the problem, i just went and drove the car and its still bad. i logged it at part throttle in third from 3.5k to 4k and the timing was hanging around 4-5 deg. i also logged it at wot through third and the timing looked good, it diped to 5 at 3400 then climbed steady up to 18 at 7k. the problem is still in part throtle. on the way home i gave it half throtle at around 3k in second and felt like it started missing all of a sudden. i am at a loss. my logs at wot are good, i dont have a boost leak, i dont know what else it could be?

also i reset the ecu and it has not thrown a code.* *HELP ME :idiot2:, i am going crazy!!!

tommygun
11-23-2005, 09:53 PM
well you fixed mine before the turbo... i am at a loss :idiot2: good luck the kit is on but not complete i'll call you later about it my car is broken too

rsmatt
11-23-2005, 10:28 PM
i think my problem is in my ecu :'(. i chacked all of my afc conections and they are good but my afc starts to get real glitchy looking as i hit the gas. i dont know what i am going to do :-\.

Blak94GSX
11-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Come by my house in Thousand Oaks on Saturday afternoon if you can make it. PM me for details.

Blaze
11-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Part throttle??

So are you saying your car is fine at idle and fine at full throttle, but when you ease off throttle going into a turn or up a hill, suddenly your car bucks/stumbles or seems to missfire?

If so, that sounds 100% like a bad bov/bov tune.

You are either running it VTA, or if you're using the GReddy S/RS, you have both springs installed.

Swap back to your stock valve and retest, I think your troubles will go away.

Then, take apart the GReddy valve and remove the smaller of the two springs. Re-assemble the valve and turn the screw about 1/4 of the way down. You should see a big improvement in drivability.

Blaze

turbolarry
11-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Where are your high and low thottle points on the AFC?

rsmatt
11-25-2005, 12:18 PM
my low is 30% and my high is 70%. im going to go back through all my conection from the afc to the ecu and soder them today, i think its just a bad conection. ill keep you guys posted

rsmatt
11-25-2005, 06:46 PM
well its not a bad conection :'(. i just got done sodering all of them up and the car is still acting up. so now i have eleminated a boost leak and bad conections. i dont know what else it could be. do any of you guys have any more ideas?

earlyapex
11-25-2005, 08:18 PM
so it's just at half throttle? You might have your low settings too rich.

rsmatt
11-25-2005, 10:16 PM
ok i just went ahead and swaped the stock bov back in and the problem is still there. i also removed the afc and the field harnes and ran straight off the ecu, and the problem is still there. i am at a total loss here and dont know what else to do. i also logged the car at 40% throtle and the car is pulling timing all the way down to -5 at 4000rpm and missing bad. i am starting to think that it is a total loss.

here is where i am at now, bov is good, 0 boost leaks, afc is good, no bad conections. i think i am going to drive the car off a clif and get the insurance money :crazy2:.

earlyapex
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
what where your low settings on your safc?

Had you changed them recently?

rsmatt
11-25-2005, 11:05 PM
my low was at -10%, but no i havent changed them at all. the car has only been doing this the past couple of days. i am starting to think bad gas?

Paul Kendall
11-26-2005, 12:01 AM
I was having a miss issue and had checked evrything you had done....Turned out to be the coils and plugs. check your plugs gap them at .026...follow that up with a friends coils and see if that works.

rsmatt
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
ok i will check the plugs tomarow but the coils are going to be hard to come by. i dont realy have any friends with evo's. on a side note i am starting to think maybee its bad gas? just a thought but that might be it. i am also going to put in some 110 octain race gas tomarow and see what happens.

turbolarry
11-26-2005, 12:12 AM
:?
What do the fuel trims say at your selected RPM's (Ne points)?

Paul Kendall
11-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Dont shock your system right now with race gas the problem will stil be there when gas runs out, Try driving out one hakf a tank then fill the rest with a better quality gas, ie. 76, Chevron, Shell whatever. Just not Arco or other cheap gas.

rsmatt
11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
ok i just got done testing my coils and they test good. they test at 10.03 and 9.9 ohms. my plug wires also tested well below 19 ohms at 3-5 ohms. all of my plugs are gapped at .028. so now we know its not the coils, plugs, wires, boost leak, or afc. what else is there? :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

rsmatt
11-26-2005, 06:05 PM
woooooo hooooooooooooo ITS FIXED. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

earlyapex
11-26-2005, 06:09 PM
woooooo hooooooooooooo ITS FIXED. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and how did it get fixed?

rsmatt
11-26-2005, 06:15 PM
i went through and tested, and re did* everything posible. then i found out that one of my injectors was not plugged in all the way* :idiot2:. so i pushed it back down and bam, THE CAR IS FIXED* O0* O0

TrickedOutEVOVIII
11-26-2005, 11:39 PM
congrats bro!! im happy to see youre up and running again...it was driving me crazy trying to think what it could possibly be dude. O0

tommygun
11-27-2005, 12:31 AM
i was there i saw it work ! 8) now to fix mine :crazy2:

rsmatt
11-27-2005, 02:48 AM
thanks for all your input guys. tommygun your car is close, we will get it np.

turbolarry
11-27-2005, 11:06 AM
How did it come loose? Is the metal clip there?

rsmatt
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
the meatal clip is there, i have no idea how it came lose. also i have been driving the car foe a couple of hours today and it runs tits O0.