PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 27151 modified exhaust to amplify noize

Smogrunner
11-23-2005, 05:54 PM
The CHP popped me on the I-5 in central CA (around Santa Nella). I was going 71mph - totally cruising at the speed limit - he pulled me over and said he could tell my exhaust was louder than stock. He said to just put the stock exhaust back on and that it wouldn't cost me anything. Just go to any inspection station or agency to get it signed off within 30 days.

Now, here is the question: Can this correctable exhaust fix it ticket be signed off by an individual Riverside County Sheriff??? It says on the back of the ticket that:

"Any violation may be certified as corrected by a law enforcement agency regularly engaged in the enforcement of the CA vehicle code."

Blaze
11-23-2005, 05:57 PM
If the ticket doesn't say something about a state ref, you should be able to have any local PD/Sherrif/CHP sign it off.

I would go as is and say you had a hole in your muffler before, now you've replaced the muffler. Most times they don't bother to check. or they just verify you have a muffler.

....or you can fight it with the power of TBD. :knuppel2:

The CHP popped me on the I-5 in central CA (around Santa Nella). I was going 71mph - totally cruising at the speed limit - he pulled me over and said he could tell my exhaust was louder than stock. He said to just put the stock exhaust back on and that it wouldn't cost me anything. Just go to any inspection station or agency to get it signed off within 30 days.

Now, here is the question: Can this correctable exhaust fix it ticket be signed off by an individual Riverside County Sheriff??? It says on the back of the ticket that:

"Any violation may be certified as corrected by a law enforcement agency regularly engaged in the enforcement of the CA vehicle code."

Skiracer
11-23-2005, 06:00 PM
From what i understand, CHP can only sign off on "correctable" offeneses.* But my local ref told me this "do not go to chp since they "could" check your car for other violations while u are there. He says he's heard its happend many times. So, best thing to do is to get it tested by the ref since the ref will only check the exhaust noise and couldn't care less what other mods u got.* Note, this is the El Camino College Ref station... Oh, they also check the VIN#'s on your engine to make sure you didn't do an engine swap.

Smogrunner
11-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, I know for sure that a Sheriff Department qualifies to certify that I have corrected the offense, but can I just go to any willing Sheriff or do I need to go to the station?

Chris in SD
11-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure any deputy can sign off with a signature and ID #. I had a few police friends sign off for "stuff" in the past... ;)

Is your exhaust a custom one or is it from a known manufacturer? (I am guessing it's from our buddy Sh1v, but I don't know) The reason I ask is because I believe you should be covered from exhaust tickets by SEMA (at least in CA). Here in VA, any exhaust that is not stock, whether louder/quieter/uglier/shinier, etc., is subject to a ticket. Good luck...

Smogrunner
11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
My exhaust:
Downpipe: AMS (comes with 35R kit)
Cat (when used): legit Magnaflow one that Tuning Technologies and RRE sells custom fitted to mate to the Vishnu signature mid pipe. Otherwise a test pipe custom made by TT.
Cat back: Vishnu signature exhaust but with a 24" resonator welded on by Tuning Technologies.

Pretty custom, as three separate shops have had their hands on it.

BOVBILLY
11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
lucky you didn't have to pop your hood!

EvolvedMCC
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Please help me understand something. I am sure everyone has heard those freaking LOUD ass Harleys, the ones with exhausts that can pop your eardrums from 100 feet away, right? Why the hell don't the cops do anything about those guys? Are they exempt because they are motorcycles and not cars? Is it a racial thing since most of those bikers are white? What gives? This question has bugged me for so long.

:tickedoff:

E V O L W O N
11-23-2005, 09:05 PM
theres has to be an attorney on here. Lets file a lawsuit against all the police departments that write these tickets and the state based on the grounds that they are illegally profiling us. They dont mess with the harleys or the big ass for excursions with the modified exhausts on their v10s. They drive crazier than we do. If you say its baseless than just say your asian or hispanic thats why they pulled you over, why didnt they pull over the white boy on the harley. The point is that others are getting overlooked and the spotlight is being put on us. we should take a stand. :knuppel2:

EviLutionIX
11-23-2005, 10:27 PM
theres has to be an attorney on here.* Lets file a lawsuit against all the police departments that write these tickets and the state based on the grounds that they are illegally profiling us.* They dont mess with the harleys or the big ass for excursions with the modified exhausts on their v10s.* They drive crazier than we do.* If you say its baseless than just say your asian or hispanic thats why they pulled you over, why didnt they pull over the white boy on the harley.* The point is that others are getting overlooked and the spotlight is being put on us.* we should take a stand. :knuppel2:

I'm sure a lot of people have tried that.... I've read it in many other forums... Same complaint. Harley's ARE Loud as hell and DON"T get pulled over... I wonder what it is. :uglystupid2:
Maybe you just need a good plan.

909Evo
11-24-2005, 05:55 PM
If you say its baseless than just say your asian or hispanic thats why they pulled you over, why didnt they pull over the white boy on the harley. The point is that others are getting overlooked and the spotlight is being put on us. we should take a stand. :knuppel2:

Except for the fact that alot of us that drive these cars are white also....

Chris in SD
11-24-2005, 06:22 PM
* If you say its baseless than just say your asian or hispanic thats why they pulled you over, why didnt they pull over the white boy on the harley.* The point is that others are getting overlooked and the spotlight is being put on us.* we should take a stand. :knuppel2:

Except for the fact that alot of us that drive these cars are white also....

Exactly - With Evos/STis/350Zs etc. it is the car, not the driver that is profiled. I got pulled over a lot and I am whiter than white.

E V O L W O N
11-24-2005, 06:37 PM
maybe if we email the terminator enough he will allow catless exhausts if we promise to vote for him. Just like the repeal of the car tax :D

GokuSSJ4
11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
if the ticket was written as correctable, then either CHP or sheriff dept. can sign it off..
here is the thing, since your car is pretty modify (an we all can be paranoid about it when you reach that level) is what if, the cop decideds to inspect the car abit further... most of the time they dont but it can happen...
you can always pay off the 60.00 and not look back on it.. all you need is to send payment to the court house and enjoy your car.. it sucks because it's not 10.00 ticket, but at least you are not at any kind of risk trying to pass something its not worth the hassle... my .02 cents :P

Blaze
11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
That probably has to do with the size of their engines.
But agreed, it doesn't make much sense.
Maybe the harleys have a powerful lobby in the government? :roll:

Please help me understand something. I am sure everyone has heard those freaking LOUD ass Harleys, the ones with exhausts that can pop your eardrums from 100 feet away, right? Why the hell don't the cops do anything about those guys? Are they exempt because they are motorcycles and not cars? Is it a racial thing since most of those bikers are white? What gives? This question has bugged me for so long.

909Evo
11-24-2005, 07:23 PM
That probably has to do with the size of their engines.
But agreed, it doesn't make much sense.
Maybe the harleys have a powerful lobby in the government? :roll:

Its got a lot to do with the fact that most bikes don't have cat's nor mufflers. Although some sport bikes do have mufflers. The cops have a hell of a time proving that the harleys do indeed have aftermarket exhausts when they have no real way of telling unless they carry an exhaust catalog with them. So in short they would be pulling over a bunch of motorcycles and issuing $10 decible tickets. Not a lot would get accomplished. Then more people would complain that the cops are doing nothing. When was the last time a harley rider killed someone in a street racing incident?

edit: i could of sworn I typed this already, but my first post says nothing about it?
2nd edit: they do have a powerful lobby, its the AMA, Sema doesn't really do anything....

ErroR
11-28-2005, 07:46 PM
There is also the matter of the decibel limit. Cars have a limit of 95 db in Cali while Motorcycles have a limit around 120db.