PDA

View Full Version : Evo VS M3 at speed

daniel
12-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Has anyone ran against a new M3 at speed (80+ mph)... what happened?

evofosizzo
12-01-2005, 12:20 AM
stock/stock i'd be hard at that speed to outrun the M3(E46).

earlyapex
12-01-2005, 12:22 AM
EVO is a brick at that speed compared to a M3. But nothing HP can't overcome. :)

I've slapped around a couple on the highway.

SpdyEvo02
12-01-2005, 12:28 AM
getting tired of saying this but socalevo does not condone racing

daniel
12-01-2005, 12:29 AM

No one's condoning it. Just asking.

Dr. Evo
12-01-2005, 08:31 AM
My mom's M3 kicks my Evo's ass anywhere above 55. My car is (more or less) stock, and so is her M3.

daniel
12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
My mom's M3 kicks my Evo's ass anywhere above 55. My car is (more or less) stock, and so is her M3.

What's more or less?

rino
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
i've played with a few at the track

when i was stock yes, i'd get slapped around

but turbo back, mbc and you can hang or pass them up eventually

it really depends on who gets to downshift first :)

gofaster87
12-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Ive found most M3 owners to be conceited jackasses so spanking them brings great pleasure.

evofosizzo
12-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Ive found most M3 owners to be conceited jackasses so spanking them brings great pleasure.

hahaha, but probably because your car is capable.

genrec
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM

oh you are a mod now?????? :idiot2:

Macky
12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
i have yet to see an M3 take me on my favorite on ramp. so far each one that tries to cut me off ends up curbing themselves. idiots.

gofaster87
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Everytime I see an M3 with some shitty rims Ill think of you Macky.

i have yet to see an M3 take me on my favorite on ramp. so far each one that tries to cut me off ends up curbing themselves. idiots.

IS2000
12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I was following an e46 M3 on the front straight of Big Willow. I was slightly quicker from 90-135mph, but my car made 312 awhp back then. Stock, the M3 will pull an EVO pretty hard.

slider
12-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm certainly no expert, however I've had an opportunity to take our new Grand Am spec. M3 out to 2 different tracks(Big Willow and The Streets) the last couple weeks for break-in/testing.* Mueller made some suspension changes and was able to crank out a 1:27 on the small track.* I was amazed the car went that quick, it felt a lot slower.* Mueller ran half second faster the same day in his "street" evo.

* On the big track I ran 1:35's in the M3.* Mueller, of course, ran both his evo and the M3 a couple seconds faster.* That fucker* *:knuppel2:* !!

* Mueller estimates the M3 is putting out 290hp to the wheels(it hasn't been dyno'd).* It also carries an extra 180 lbs penalty weight(per Grand Am) where the passenger seat use to be.*

* The M3 is fun to drive.* Doesn't inspire the level of confidence the evo does however but I guess that's part of the fun.* The theory is if I can get fast in the rear drive car we'll be REALLY screaming fast when hop back in the evo.

Macky
12-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Everytime I see an M3 with some shitty rims Ill think of you Macky.

:grin:

kcross
12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
ive ran on a few but if it is modified (even slightly) it can pose a problem at those speeds. thats what the car is designed to do, evos are designed to do the total opposite, our gearing sucks for those speeds. we can only overcome them with sheer power.

alex_alex
12-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm certainly no expert, however I've had an opportunity to take our new Grand Am spec. M3 out to 2 different tracks(Big Willow and The Streets) the last couple weeks for break-in/testing. Mueller made some suspension changes and was able to crank out a 1:27 on the small track. I was amazed the car went that quick, it felt a lot slower. Mueller ran half second faster the same day in his "street" evo.

On the big track I ran 1:35's in the M3. Mueller, of course, ran both his evo and the M3 a couple seconds faster. That fucker :knuppel2: !!

Mueller estimates the M3 is putting out 290hp to the wheels(it hasn't been dyno'd). It also carries an extra 180 lbs penalty weight(per Grand Am) where the passenger seat use to be.

The M3 is fun to drive. Doesn't inspire the level of confidence the evo does however but I guess that's part of the fun. The theory is if I can get fast in the rear drive car we'll be REALLY screaming fast when hop back in the evo.

haven't been to the shop lately, can we see pics of the new m3 race car? :twisted:

Muellerized...
12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I'm certainly no expert, however I've had an opportunity to take our new Grand Am spec. M3 out to 2 different tracks(Big Willow and The Streets) the last couple weeks for break-in/testing.* Mueller made some suspension changes and was able to crank out a 1:27 on the small track.* I was amazed the car went that quick, it felt a lot slower.* Mueller ran half second faster the same day in his "street" evo.

* On the big track I ran 1:35's in the M3.* Mueller, of course, ran both his evo and the M3 a couple seconds faster.* That fucker* *:knuppel2:* !!

* Mueller estimates the M3 is putting out 290hp to the wheels(it hasn't been dyno'd).* It also carries an extra 180 lbs penalty weight(per Grand Am) where the passenger seat use to be.*

* The M3 is fun to drive.* Doesn't inspire the level of confidence the evo does however but I guess that's part of the fun.* The theory is if I can get fast in the rear drive car we'll be REALLY screaming fast when hop back in the evo.

haven't been to the shop lately, can we see pics of the new m3 race car?* :twisted:

Dr. Evo
12-02-2005, 01:52 PM
My mom's M3 kicks my Evo's ass anywhere above 55.* My car is (more or less) stock, and so is her M3.

What's more or less?

All I have done is a TBE.

kcross
12-02-2005, 04:39 PM
have you seen dyno number for evo with turbo back exhaust, its not really more or less stock. for instance, intake, downpipe, and exhasut on my evo yielded 50whp over stock. and the intake doesnt do much.

daniel
12-02-2005, 06:44 PM
have you seen dyno number for evo with turbo back exhaust, its not really more or less stock. for instance, intake, downpipe, and exhasut on my evo yielded 50whp over stock. and the intake doesnt do much.

Yup yup. Add a boost controller set to 1.35 bar, like I've done, and you're sitting pretty. Then again, he has an 03. The 05 (MR included) models have the larger 10.5mm turbine housing so the powerband (less top end for one) is a little different too.

drmosh
12-02-2005, 06:54 PM
My old evo outran e46 M3's up to 120mph.

I only had intercooler, downpipe, and Works P2 with boost at 22psi.

daniel
12-02-2005, 06:57 PM

I notice anything over 120 (5 speed in 5th gear) you can't really get away.

drmosh
12-02-2005, 07:00 PM

I notice anything over 120 (5 speed in 5th gear) you can't really get away.

Stock turbo starts to run out of breath around there.

Chris in SD
12-03-2005, 06:56 AM
I am curious to see how my S4 would run an M3 up top... It's all up to the driver off the line, but the way that V8 revs freely, I bet it would be close on the top end, too. I know a lot of you don't think so, but I can seriously tell you that an S2000 is stronger on the top end than the Evo. Of course, that plays to the S2K's powerband and away from the Evo's...

alex_alex
12-03-2005, 12:00 PM
I am curious to see how my S4 would run an M3 up top... It's all up to the driver off the line, but the way that V8 revs freely, I bet it would be close on the top end, too. I know a lot of you don't think so, but I can seriously tell you that an S2000 is stronger on the top end than the Evo. Of course, that plays to the S2K's powerband and away from the Evo's...

i think the m3 would still take the cake, for the same reason the s2000 could outpull the evo at freeway speeds. The m3 motor is much more rev happy.

that and, the evo (mine anyways) seems to pull a lot further away from s4s than it does m3s . . .

gofaster87
12-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Funny thing is the last time I raced an S2000 when my car was stock he couldnt pass me at 100+. The most amazing part is my big ass probably outweighed his whole car and he still couldnt pull me.

Chris in SD
12-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Funny thing is the last time I raced an S2000 when my car was stock he couldnt pass me at 100+. The most amazing part is my big ass probably outweighed his whole car and he still couldnt pull me.

He probably couldn't drive. I've pulled on some big daddies in my S2K when I had it. Obviously, one slip out of VTEC and it's all over. The S2K is a fun toy car, but not for REAL performance...

Macky
12-03-2005, 01:25 PM
anything that you have to rev the oil out of to have fun isnt fun but a waste of gas :grin:

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I had a cat-back, HFC, and MBC and kept up with an M3 to about 100, then i hit my exit.

evoibad
12-03-2005, 01:51 PM
About the S2000, it will definantly pull on a evo at around 100+. My brohter just bought one and I can smash him down low like below 100, but when we get on the freeway and I started getting into 5th (shitty ass gearing) he starts pulling and eventually walks away. By the way I have a 05 gsr. Oh and as far as saying that car is not made for performance I recomand driving that thing in some canyons or track and then tell me what you think.

gofaster87
12-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Its a frickin midget mobile.

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 02:17 PM
About the S2000, it will definantly pull on a evo at around 100+. My brohter just bought one and I can smash him down low like below 100, but when we get on the freeway and I started getting into 5th (shitty ass gearing) he starts pulling and eventually walks away. By the way I have a 05 gsr. Oh and as far as saying that car is not made for performance I recomand driving that thing in some canyons or track and then tell me what you think.

RWD...meh

lagcisco
12-03-2005, 03:31 PM
http://www.zigzagasia.com/Files/Billeder/amuses2k02.jpg

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 05:42 PM

-1 for having a wing bigger than the car.

daniel
12-03-2005, 06:48 PM

-1 for having a wing bigger than the car.

HAHA. Seriously, different strokes for different folks.. but... s2000... stock? No way. I mean.. if you started at 120 maybe he can out run an evo (because of our brick like areodynamics).. but like everyone says.. our cars aren't made for 120+ mph. People usually stop at about 120 anyways :uglystupid2:

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 09:01 PM
just curious what top speed for an s2000 is...the evo is 157

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 09:03 PM
found it, the s2000 top speed is 150, so the evo will win top speed battle also. O0 :mitsu:

earlyapex
12-03-2005, 09:13 PM
found it, the s2000 top speed is 150, so the evo will win top speed battle also. O0 :mitsu:

Holy keyboard racers.

EvoPwr
12-03-2005, 09:19 PM

Holy keyboard racers.
???

trannb
12-04-2005, 12:47 AM
During one of my sessions at Laguna Seca this week I was behind a stock-powered M3. I exited turn 5 (uphill towards 6) a good 10mph faster than him but he still pulled on me before he braked (broke?) for 6. My engine is stock and I was on 91 octane.

evoibad
12-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Actually I truly believe that rwd handles better than awd. The only problem with rwd is putting the power to the ground, also It's hard to find people who really know how to drive rwd. My buddy has a 350Z and out on willow springs he outruns evo's all day (maybe because they cant drive however they're in the expert class). He outran one of the instructers who had a evo. Im pretty sure there are drivers who can beat him maybe with more skill or power but his car is a monster on the track. Also when I rode in his car in the canyon his shaved ra1's made his car feel like it had awd grip, It was a killer combination, the grip with out the understeer.

Chris in SD
12-04-2005, 06:10 AM

Holy keyboard racers.

Imagine if I said my Hyundai Elantra pwns Evos? LOL... :roll:

Bills Evo
12-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Came up next to an M3 yesterday, we both took off and he quickly fell behind and stayed way back, then we both let off at about 120. He couldn't hang. I'm running 300hp and 308 torque so it's not like I have a killer evo. S2000, same thing. Hmmm :2funny:

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 04:02 PM
just curious what top speed for an s2000 is...the evo is 157

the evo top speed is not 157mph, i have taken my evo up to 160mph. i'm pretty sure i could have go for more but the road start to turn so i slow down. The evo speed limiter is calculated by drag not governed by speed.

yea....we are talking stock evo not modified :roll:

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Actually I truly believe that rwd handles better than awd. The only problem with rwd is putting the power to the ground, also It's hard to find people who really know how to drive rwd. My buddy has a 350Z and out on willow springs he outruns evo's all day (maybe because they cant drive however they're in the expert class). He outran one of the instructers who had a evo. Im pretty sure there are drivers who can beat him maybe with more skill or power but his car is a monster on the track. Also when I rode in his car in the canyon his shaved ra1's made his car feel like it had awd grip, It was a killer combination, the grip with out the understeer.

please explain why kent jordan whips up on everyone! he is in an evo and spanks vettes and vipers.

earlyapex
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
please explain why kent jordan whips up on everyone! he is in an evo and spanks vettes and vipers.

I have a feeling any car Mueller would prepare that has good power would spank people.

Please don't get into the "Da Evo Is Da FAsTeSt, It CAN NEVAR LOSE!" way of thinking.

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 07:08 PM

I have a feeling any car Mueller would prepare that has good power would spank people.

Please don't get into the "Da Evo Is Da FAsTeSt, It CAN NEVAR LOSE!" way of thinking.

did i say that? no. i am pointing out that RWD is not the best tracking car. :roll:

gofaster87
12-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Funny thing is awd is rare in the tracking world. There really are not that many awd cars out there compared to rwd. AWD is not the tracking standard, dont know why you guys think it is superior. It may be in certain classes but it wont be used in most classes.

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Funny thing is awd is rare in the tracking world. There really are not that many awd cars out there compared to rwd. AWD is not the tracking standard, dont know why you guys think it is superior. It may be in certain classes but it wont be used in most classes.

Funny thign is there are still FWD cars that track...so what. AWD wins in its class, not all the time, but enough.

gofaster87
12-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Please name all the winning drivers besides Kent. Im not being sarcastic I really would like to know.

Funny thign is there are still FWD cars that track...so what.* AWD wins in its class, not all the time, but enough.

earlyapex
12-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Please name all the winning drivers besides Kent. Im not being sarcastic I really would like to know.

gofaster, I agree with you but don't forget Audi getting banned from racing awd and had to start racing their FWD versions. Also Archer Racing got banned from racing awd talons because they where just slaughtering everyone.

I think in perfect conditions RWD is probably a good bet in racing, but we all know track conditions are ever-changing.

I don't follow F1 but I think I remember awd and turbo being banned at some point, or was that just turbo?

alex_alex
12-04-2005, 10:05 PM

Funny thign is there are still FWD cars that track...so what. AWD wins in its class, not all the time, but enough.

Sam,

I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't give you a single example, sounds like he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

From what i've seen, AWD may be better than RWD all else being equal, but the problem is that everything else is NOT equal. The additional moving parts in the drivetrain adds at least 300-400 lbs to the car, and any car, including the evo, would probably be better off being RWD and 400lbs less.