PDA

View Full Version : Clutch wear & Launching...

1of1000MR
12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Is there a way to get a really good lunch with out the clutch being worn? I got a 05' MR and my best launches come out when I play with clutch. Is there a way to get the same results whithout the wear???? :tickedoff:

ANTHONY
12-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Ask (smogrunner) over 30k miles on stock clutch and attended track events!!

1of1000MR
12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
So either way I get screwed... :D

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 03:43 PM
you can slip the clutch with no smell, i have done this and so has ultraflip, it is really not that hard....just don't ask gear grinder to show you ;)

Gear Grinder
12-04-2005, 06:33 PM
you can slip the clutch with no smell, i have done this and so has ultraflip, it is really not that hard....just don't ask gear grinder to show you ;)
thats it, leave my clutch alone. it still has smooth engagement, no slipping at all. You are just tired of looking at my tail lights.

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
thats it, leave my clutch alone. it still has smooth engagement, no slipping at all. You are just tired of looking at my tail lights.

next time wait for the thrid horn O0 not the first.

rammsteinmatt
12-04-2005, 11:37 PM
you can slip the clutch with no smell, i have done this and so has ultraflip, it is really not that hard....

did it my first try, its not even that hard - at all

BoosTHi
12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
hmmm interesting .....!!!!

1of1000MR
12-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I now launch with no smell! O0. It's a good launch, with no smell....the RPM'S don't drop below 5K.

BoosTHi
12-06-2005, 09:32 PM
nice nice

gofaster87
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Have 2 guys out here that drag race. One guy launches hard and often but still got 20K+ on his stock clutch. The other guy burned his up after 5k and he launches hard and often. Too many factors involved to tell you how much wear to expect.

1of1000MR
12-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Well I went through a stock clutch in about 4K miles when I first got the car (I know thats really bad) :uglystupid2:, and now I've been running the Mitsubishi factory clutch for about 16K. I've had way more launches on the second clutch than the first...so I guess I learned how to launch it with out burning the sh*t of the clutch. Whenever this one goes out, I'm defenitly gonna run some kind of Heavy-Duty Clutch.

BoosTHi
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
hmmm interesting ......

jayvolution
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM

i feel like such a newbie for asking this but my evo is my first manual trans car. how do you know if your clutch is slipping?* *thanks...

j_nizzle
12-27-2005, 04:09 PM

next time wait for the thrid horn O0 not the first.

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Mister
12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Wow, I'm at 28000 miles on my MR, with the original clutch. I guess thats pretty good.

1of1000MR
12-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Wow, I'm at 28000 miles on my MR, with the original clutch. I guess thats pretty good.

Do u launch often? U must have good driving habbits. O0

Terry S
12-29-2005, 01:10 PM

i feel like such a newbie for asking this but my evo is my first manual trans car. how do you know if your clutch is slipping?* *thanks...

If when you accelerate your RPM's go up, but the car doesn't go forward right away. The clutch will probably catch eventually and go, but when the clutch is really bad, you'll notice the RPM's go up but your speed goes nowhere (or down if your going up a hill)

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0515/4490722_200X150.jpg

Terry S

jayvolution
12-29-2005, 01:58 PM

If when you accelerate your RPM's go up, but the car doesn't go forward right away. The clutch will probably catch eventually and go, but when the clutch is really bad, you'll notice the RPM's go up but your speed goes nowhere (or down if your going up a hill)

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0515/4490722_200X150.jpg

Terry S

thanks! O0

XxRedDevilxX
01-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Well can someone who has had there clutch for a while tell me: When lined up at the track form a stop when you launch what do you do? Rev it up to 5500 lift the e brake let it engage a lil when the lights grenn dump it? if im wrong i wont be surprised. let me know thanks for your help

slow_evo
01-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Well can someone who has had there clutch for a while tell me: When lined up at the track form a stop when you launch what do you do? Rev it up to 5500 lift the e brake let it engage a lil when the lights grenn dump it? if im wrong i wont be surprised. let me know thanks for your help

No. Just rev between 4k and 5k('05 can only go up to 5k with stock tune) and hold it there. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR E-BRAKE!!! As you're holding the RPM's just start letting out the clutch and as soon as you found the friction point ease into the gas and ease out the clutch at the same time. If you give it too much gas and let the clutch out too fast, you are going to smell clutch and possible slip it. If you don't give it enough gas and let the clutch out you will bogg down.

So practice slowly and you should get it soon. It took me about 5-6 times. Hope this helps.

XxRedDevilxX
01-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Well can someone who has had there clutch for a while tell me:* When lined up at the track form a stop when you launch what do you do?* Rev it up to 5500 lift the e brake let it engage a lil when the lights grenn dump it?* if im wrong i wont be surprised.* let me know thanks for your help

No.* Just rev between 4k and 5k('05 can only go up to 5k with stock tune) and hold it there.* DO NOT TOUCH YOUR E-BRAKE!!!* As you're holding the RPM's just start letting out the clutch and as soon as you found the friction point ease into the gas and ease out the clutch at the same time.* If you give it too much gas and let the clutch out too fast, you are going to smell clutch and possible slip it.* If you don't give it enough gas and let the clutch out you will bogg down.*

So practice slowly and you should get it soon.* It took me about 5-6 times.* Hope this helps.
thanks helps alot. Im just gonna have a hard time not engaging the clutch on the line and getting a red light. but im retarded like that but ill get the hang of it

Miss Evo8
01-25-2006, 10:09 PM
AWD=NO launching= clutch will last!

banananut
03-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Hm... I have 39,000miles with original clutch with occasional launches. I have noticed when I slip the clutch around 5k the clutch burning is more noticeable. A few times I have launched around 4k and had a better launch than the higher rpm with little smell. Can anyone confirm or give me their release points?

Endoe
03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
AWD=NO launching= clutch will last!

Number ONE way to launch....in my opinion...

jeric
05-12-2006, 02:39 AM
wow...i launch at 3500 =X kinda slow but it's a fair trade off between reliability and speed

rino
05-12-2006, 02:44 AM
my stock clutch lasted 34k miles with 4 road course days, 1 autox and at least 7+ drag events.

i have an 04, i launch at 5500rpm. my best 60' on stock clutch was a 1.7..

haans brix
06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
all i have to say is: I LOVE LAUNCH CONTROL!!!! :)

JDMC-WestEVO
06-18-2006, 04:39 PM
i have a little story i think u guys will think is funny as fuck especially if u hate STI's.....well this guy im not naming names or anything but he has a brand new white STI.....120 miles if even on it. says he wants to teach me how to launch....how kind....lol....anyway on the way to the street he is redlining the whole time every gear. so we stop and he revs to 1000, then 2500, then 4000, then 5000, then redline and dumps the clutch! we got some G forces damn near whiplashed but after about doing that 5 or 6 times and redlining up threw 4th gear we go back. he does it a few more times racing a camaro and finally once more when he leaves. i see him at a gas station up the street.... dude my tranny mount is all fucked up lol!!!! i tried really hard not to laugh have fun bashing on this guy. o ya and after his little redline sprees when he stops he just turned off the car without waiting for the turbo to cool or anything. :) love STI owners honestly brainchilds of the world

thisxguy
06-20-2006, 02:00 AM
interesting...i guess he doesnt really care about his car lasting. lol

quicksilverevo
06-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I have an '03 and have been to the dragstrip 3 times and launched at full 6.5-7k rpms-not dumping the clutch--consistent 1.7-1.8 60' but I have managed 57k miles so far on the stock clutch. I don't like the vague feel of the clutch engagement--I am used to the Honda's clutch(old b16a with a Y21 tranny-excellent clutch feel)

GSX2EVO
08-15-2007, 12:50 PM
I tried searching for this but those of you guys that have launch control do you just let go of the clutch to engage or do you slip it in? I have launch control too, so I was wondering what the right way to use it is.

silvrEVOIXn818
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I have had my car for almost a year now, and not launched it yet... So I decided to give it a shot and see if I had any skill. (mind you, this is my first AWD car ) The first time I did it i let it out @ around 5000 and didnt work out so well... I think I dumped it... the rpm jumped up real quick and I shifted in to second real quick, then bogged out. (smelly) :grin:
The second time I tried it @ 3500 and had much better results w/ less smell. I guess practice makes perfect, but I would like to be one of those that get 25,000 + on my clutch.

GreaseFRT
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Quicksilver - you look into this? It REALLY helps get rid of that vauge clutch feel....

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=28244.0

08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
lots of info in this thread, awesome :police:

S2myEVO
08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
not really..

Azian
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I have 22k miles(06 GSR) and ive launched like 30times....lol...iono if thats good or bad but yeah...

BLKevoIX
09-10-2007, 02:22 PM
^^^ damn lauched like 30x, Im curious to see you launch bro.

littlejap33
10-29-2007, 09:04 AM
went to the track on sat and wanted to know what is the best way to launch without burning the clutch my dad made a run and we could smell the clutch burning.

Evolutionized
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I have had my car for almost a year now, and not launched it yet...Â* So I decided to give it a shot and see if I had any skill.Â* (mind you, this is my first AWD car ) The first time I did it i let it out @ around 5000 and didnt work out so well...Â* I think I dumped it...Â* the rpm jumped up real quick and I shifted in to second real quick, then bogged out.Â* (smelly)Â* :grin:
The second time I tried it @ 3500 and had much better results w/ less smell.Â* I guess practice makes perfect, but I would like to be one of those that get 25,000 + on my clutch.

3500 rpms is tooo low to launch the evo.
launch at atleast 5000 and practice makes perfect. O0

JDMboi
11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
ive launched like 25 -30 im still good but every once in a while i do burn it only when im rusty so so good 19k on it

Evo121
12-09-2007, 08:47 AM
I used to launch mine alot, I remember those good old racing days.

keonigsr9
01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
hey whats a good way to launch ur car on a stock clutch

bd307
01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
The only way is to read thru this thread.

Ixse
01-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Just felt the clutch slipping a bit last time i launched (yesturday lol). I don't think i'm doing it again for a loooong time.. don't have 1300 bucks laying around..

4g63superboost
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
hey whats a good way to launch ur car on a stock clutch

^^^^^bounce theÂ* rev limiter and just dump the clutch !!!!!Â* Â* Â*weeeeeeeeeeeeee. :grin:........ "be advised some nice burning clutch smell will follow..... this is normalÂ* along with shortened clutch life O0"

ive only launched like 5 times max sooo im no expert .....1Â* was very no bueno stunk up my garage for like a dayÂ* :grin:Â* ive never done it of the limiter....im to poor to afford a new clutchÂ* :buck2:

JDMC-WestEVO
02-05-2008, 02:13 AM
i've gone threw 4 clutches lol i used to pull 1.6-1.7 consistant 60ft times at LACR i run a 2 step launch control at 6k i build about 14psi and spray meth and launch like a bat outta hell i just dump my clutch no smell or burn but i've destroyed a few front cv axels lol and a tranny but my new tranny is a champ :) a way to launch and save ur drivetrain is to load it up with the ebrake by holding it up and letting out the clutch a little just to shift the shock forward and dump it and drop the ebrake simultaneously and you will get a better launch takes a lot of practice and you need to adjust your tires to slip slightly or u can bog or break stuff trust me on the breaking stuff im good at it lol happy launching

Ixse
02-15-2008, 11:45 PM
^^^ dam... 4 clutches and new tranny... hope the $$ you've put in to those new parts were worth the excitement of destroying opponent off the line =)

dsmdeliveryboy
06-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Ive already gone thru the stock clutch and then put a ACT street clutch on and i dont know how much life that one has left either. it still grabs awesome, just seems like its been letting out a little later. And yes I know how to adjust the clutch engagment Ive just been too lazy

pjb00stin
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
the way I launch is rev up to 2step(5500) and slip it.I only have full exhaust and intake and I can pull a 1.7 60'.

when your in line at the track,practice where your clutch engages..rev up to 2k and try.

p.s. what does taking restrictor pill do?

EVONATE
10-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I blew my front diff last Thursday @ Irwindale. Preload with e-brake is very important to learn to avoid breaking things. Especialy as you reach the 400whp +Â*Â* I have the Exedy twin plate HD and it dont like to slip much. Spinning all 4 wheels is pretty cool though. :grin:

Here is what happen to me. They cleaned the track and sprayed that sticky grip stuffÂ*down ( I forgot the name ) and i was like the 3rd car to go. I did a pre launch to get water off and heat the tires. I pulled up to the line my 2 step is set to 6K. I did not preload with ebrake properly and when i launched the car gripped instantly!!! and snapped the diff.

Alex Rodriguez
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
its possible but on a stock clutch the engagement isnt that strong so even with slipping the launch will still suck

a upgraded clutch is best