PDA

View Full Version : 125cc Shifter Kart or Evo?

bogey8
12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
After going to the EOC Shifter Kart Event, I've been having second thoughts about taking my Evo to the tracks.

I've taken my Evo to the tracks twice. But after driving the 125cc shifter kart, and felt how much power that tiny kart has, I'm just not sure I want to track my Evo anymore.

There are 2 reasons:

1. Costs too much. To get my Evo to feel as fast as the kart, I have to get another turbo and other supporting mods. And if anything breaks or if I make a mistake and roll the car, it would cost so much to repair and replace. And it is my daily driver.

2. I don't intend to be the fastest driver in any event I go to. I just want to have fun and get some adrenaline rush that I can't get daily driving on the freeway. I'm also getting old and can't keep up with all the younger guys who aren't afraid to take the extra risks of pushing their cars to the limits.

I also realize that a decent Kart will cost from $4-7K. But that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a $30K Evo.

what do you guys think?

silvery_eagle
12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
but then... can you bring ur kart to the track days with evo?
also there might not have enough track days for shifter karts compare to regular cars :p

blame it to EOC haha...

Richard EVO
12-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I've never driven a Kart, so it's hard to say -- tracking an EVO does get expensive. Willow Springs and Buttonwillow both have dedicated Kart tracks, so availability of track time shouldn't be a problem.

kmEVO818
12-02-2005, 02:04 PM
I know what your talking about bogey, after doing karts the evo will never feel as fast. If I had the money I would definetly get a kart and track it as much as I can knowing how inexpensive and more of an adrenaline rush it is to drive compared to the evo .
Though I'll never stop tracking the evo only because of it's abilities on the track, that is one of the main reasons I purchased it.
I say go for it and get a kart, you can always still track the evo just not as often as you need to.* O0

Senshi
12-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I know what your talking about bogey, after doing karts the evo will never feel as fast. If I had the money I would definetly get a kart and track it as much as I can knowing how inexpensive and more of an adrenaline rush it is to drive compared to the evo .
Though I'll never stop tracking the evo only because of it's abilities on the track, that is one of the main reasons I purchased it.
I say go for it and get a kart, you can always still track the evo just not as often as you need to. O0

i pritty much agree with this, to me as fun as the shifter karts are i still like tracking "a full car" with suspension i enjoy playing with the weight and moving around in corners and during breaking. Also love the feeling that the same car i post good times with at the track is the same car i drive everyday 8) shifter karts are amazing but i beleave they give a differant although faster experiance then you get from a car. As KmEVO818 if i could i would prob do both.

Blak94GSX
12-02-2005, 04:24 PM
For actual racing, the Kart is a much better option. Karting is extremely competitive and you can spend as much or as little money as you want doing it depending on the class you run in. Real racing door to door is expensive, whether it be on foot or in a vehicle, there is just no way around that. Karting however is about the cheapest way to do real competitive racing.

For track days, I think a real car is more fun, but that's just me...

Dmoney
12-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Some of the best race car drivers began with Karting. So either way you are having fun while also getting the experience you need to better yourself as a driver. Im just scared of Karting...Ive seen some of the crash videos and they dont look to healthy. :buck2:

hksevo8
12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
I would definitly pick the kart. I am looking to buy a 125 Rotex kart so I can go to Morran raceway and screw around. Karting is expensive, but so is tracking the Evo, the only real difference is if you crash your evo, your most likley going to be taking the bus to work.

evoracer32
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
i would deff say go with the kart, im actaully the national champ of the pro class in shifter karts, and their is not much that can compare to the feeling of driving one of those, and plus it will keep u in shape lol but either way u cant go wrong

bogey8
12-02-2005, 10:35 PM
If anyone knows where I can find a good condition used one locally, I would really appreciate it.

342-111R*
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
there is a place in the valley that have new and used chassis for sale and good prices for em' i would def go shifter aswell since i have no car yet. it seems alot more fast paced and more competetive than door to door racing as blakgsx said in an ealyer post.

Senshi
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
there is a place in the valley that have new and used chassis for sale and good prices for em' i would def go shifter aswell since i have no car yet. it seems alot more fast paced and more competetive than door to door racing as blakgsx said in an ealyer post.

why did u bring an old thread back to life, also i think before you give an opinion on this subject you should get your liscense and find out what its like to drive a car, not to mension you havnt even drivin a shifter kart or any real racing kart ether........

Richard EVO
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM

why did u bring an old thread back to life, also i think before you give an opinion on this subject you should get your liscense and find out what its like to drive a car, not to mension you havnt even drivin a shifter kart or any real racing kart ether........

C'mon senshi -- this is the internet.* I have seen lots more idiotic posts than that one. :idiot2:

Terenus
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Richard, we know him, we just love to bag on him about his license.

Senshi
03-07-2006, 05:13 PM

C'mon senshi -- this is the internet. I have seen lots more idiotic posts than that one. :idiot2:

hes a really good friend of mine that ive know since he was born i was just hazing him about this earlier today in person.

Richard EVO
03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Well in that case, tell him to be careful on his driving test.* Parallel parking a shifter cart is a real biatch.* :D

Senshi
03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Well in that case, tell him to be careful on his driving test. Parallel parking a shifter cart is a real biatch. :D

:2funny:

Terenus
03-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Well in that case, tell him to be careful on his driving test. Parallel parking a shifter cart is a real biatch. :D

HAHAHA good one.

evodriver1
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Let's get one thing straight, ALL motorsports can be expensive.* Many of the fast karters dump a LOT of money into their karts.* Engine rebuilds (every 50 hrs for a ROTAX MAX), tires, etc. all add up quickly.* Go to a karting event and see the almost insane logistics trails that some karters bring.* RVs, trailers, kart stands, tools, fuel jugs, etc.* It rivals touring car racecars!

This really isn't necessary.* You can fit a kart into the bed of a Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma bed if you take off one of the side pods.* Tools, tires, fuel, stand can all fit there, too.* No need for a silly RV!

I'm into karting and recently bought a used 125cc TaG (Touch and Go electric start) kart with a 28hp ROTAX MAX engine.* It's a neat little machine.* I bought it used and it was over $4000.*

I've driven shifter karts and while they are fun and drive like nothing else (mad skillz!), they are a maintenance headache.* You are MUCH better off with a good sprint (non-shifter) kart such as a TaG kart.* Shifter karts are actually going out of style now as many of the shifter guys have switched to TaG karts.

One last thing, unlike car chassis, karts don't have a suspension.* The kart's chassis actually twists during cornering and over time will wear out.* I'm hoping my one year old chassis lasts at least a few years!

I recommend the Moran Raceway and Willow Springs Kart tracks. Moran is long and fast, WSK is shorter but more technical. I also recommend the Jim Hall II karting School in Ventura (or Oxnard?) for kart instruction.

gt40
03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Let's get one thing straight, ALL motorsports can be expensive. Many of the fast karters dump a LOT of money into their karts. Engine rebuilds (every 50 hrs for a ROTAX MAX), tires, etc. all add up quickly. Go to a karting event and see the almost insane logistics trails that some karters bring. RVs, trailers, kart stands, tools, fuel jugs, etc. It rivals touring car racecars!

This really isn't necessary. You can fit a kart into the bed of a Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma bed if you take off one of the side pods. Tools, tires, fuel, stand can all fit there, too. No need for a silly RV!

I'm into karting and recently bought a used 125cc TaG (Touch and Go electric start) kart with a 28hp ROTAX MAX engine. It's a neat little machine. I bought it used and it was over $4000.

I've driven shifter karts and while they are fun and drive like nothing else (mad skillz!), they are a maintenance headache. You are MUCH better off with a good sprint (non-shifter) kart such as a TaG kart. Shifter karts are actually going out of style now as many of the shifter guys have switched to TaG karts.

One last thing, unlike car chassis, karts don't have a suspension. The kart's chassis actually twists during cornering and over time will wear out. I'm hoping my one year old chassis lasts at least a few years!

I recommend the Moran Raceway and Willow Springs Kart tracks. Moran is long and fast, WSK is shorter but more technical. I also recommend the Jim Hall II karting School in Ventura (or Oxnard?) for kart instruction.

Great info...

EOC is getting ready to do another kart event and would love to have you join us!

Senshi
03-11-2006, 04:10 AM
yo mark if we do another track event i really think we should give Moran Raceway a try ive heard alot of good things about it.

342-111R*
03-16-2006, 08:00 PM
hmmnn, When do you thing the Next kart event will be and where at?