PDA

View Full Version : HELLP!! "Overheating"

GOOSE_Ej
12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Hello i was driving on the fwy today and i noticed my temp gauge on my dash was all the way up. I have an Evo RS but the temp gauge on the cluster was in the middle at normal.??? wat is wrong when i got home i checked the gauge like the connections but nothing it was still high. I dont feel any lose of power or anything and the car is running fine.. any ideas wats going on??? plz help and im taking my car to HB 2morrow soo ya

Thanks guys/girls

-GOOSE

edit by mod: specific title

Blaze
12-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Hello i was driving on the fwy today and i noticed my temp gauge on my dash was all the way up. I have an Evo RS but the temp gauge on the cluster was in the middle at normal.??? wat is wrong when i got home i checked the gauge like the connections but nothing it was still high. I dont feel any lose of power or anything and the car is running fine.. any ideas wats going on??? plz help and im taking my car to HB 2morrow soo ya

Thanks guys/girls

-GOOSE

Uh...have you thought about checking your coolant levels? :idiot2:

EvoPwr
12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
i am confused, you said one gauges was high and the other was normal...why do you have 2 temps?

If you are talking about the sports meter kit, then that is your oil temp.

GOOSE_Ej
12-04-2005, 09:47 PM
the oil temp gauge goes all the way up.... but the car runs fine i checked all the fluids and everything is normal... the gauge on the cluster reads normal

500whp
12-04-2005, 10:45 PM
if your gauges are reading the temps right meaning if the problem is not the gagues. You will not be able to see anything wrong until u blow something... i recommend if your car is pretty stock, take it to the dealer ship!

kimletrim
12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
You might have a bad thermostat. Get that checked first.

This happened on my Eclipse. Funny thing is that I had the dealer look at it and they said it was a bad thermostat so they replaced it only for it to happen again. I ended up buying another thermostat and doing it myself which fixed the problem. Either the dealer failed to replace my thermostat or I had two bad thermostats. Now this is the funny part, either of those two scenarios were equally plausible. :-\

Blak94GSX
12-05-2005, 12:40 AM
If the coolant temp gauge is reading normal but the oil temp gauge is reading high, that means your oil temp sensor is either bad or the connection is loose. Usually it is a bad connection at the drain bolt which has the oil temp sensor in it.

The coolant sensor on the gauge cluster is reasonably accurate so trust that one more.

GokuSSJ4
12-05-2005, 08:44 AM
what is the oil temp that you are getting?, some peeps my freak out how hot oil gets

GOOSE_Ej
12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
150+ celcius

ultraflip
12-05-2005, 10:11 AM
that's pretty hot... i dont' see those #'s on oil temp unless i'm road racing

GOOSE_Ej
12-05-2005, 10:59 AM
ya and all i did it get on the freeway and drive.. i drive around 75mph but its weird cause the car doesnt seem to lose power or anything..

GOOSE_Ej
12-05-2005, 11:01 AM
ok i just turned on my car and its been parked since yesterday around 3pm. and its cold out side and it still reads 150+ so there something wrong with the sensor? but the car is cold hasnt been started since yesterday... so ya im taking it to the HB ill have them check it out

helli0n
12-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Do you have the Mitsu oil gauge or an aftermarket..? Did you recenlty change your oil..? Either way when you change your oil you have to perform some extra steps with the oil temp sensor or it might not work right.

From the Mitsu sport meter documentation:

CAUTION
Precautions for oil change
- Prior to remove the oil temp sensor for draining oil, the sensor connector must be disconnected. Otherwise the sensor cable may break.
- Keep the connectors of oil temp sensor & sensor cable free from oil & dirt. If the connectors are connected with such things in, the gauge may not function properly. If the oil or dirt enters into the connector, remove it completely by using contact cleaner,etc.
- When reinstalling the oil temp sensor, be sure to tighten to the specified torque. Tightening torque: 29.4-39.2 Nm (3.0-4.0 kgfm)

EvoPwr
12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
it is loose connection or bad gauge...time for troubleshooting. :D

GOOSE_Ej
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
hmmm must of been when i change my oil... CRAP!! will the warrenty cover it??

evolved
12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
hmmm must of been when i change my oil... CRAP!! will the warrenty cover it??

should cover the mitsu guages