PDA

View Full Version : Relocate MAF

EVOMANIAC
12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
I saw that a company had a kit to relocate your MAS so you can VTA and not have any problems.* The MAS goes after the BOV just before the TB.* Does anyone know who makes these?* I cant find the site and I have been searching for like 3 hours.* I think I am starting to go crazy. :mitsu:

turbolarry
12-12-2005, 10:05 PM
You want to switch to a blow through set up using an GM MAF sensor?
http://www.maftpro.com/index.shtml

EVOMANIAC
12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
It didnt say what the new one was, but in the picture the MAF was moved up in the piping just before the 90 elbow going into the throttle body. *The price was like $650.

EVOMANIAC
12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Found it. Ultimate Racing has it.

Hiro
01-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I believe the Ultimate Racing set up removes, not relocates the MAF. It's similar to a VPC, but it has had a lot of problems reported by users.

There was a post a while back explaining why it's a bad idea to have your MAF after the turbo. Pressure/air speed and air temps are different. Consequently this may damage the hot wire/sensor or other components in the MAF.

You may be searching for a while on this (it's not a popular concept/topic.

650 is more then halfway to a stand alone. Consider putting the money towards a usable mod, not something iffy.

Hiro

trinydex
03-12-2006, 05:02 AM
this is all incorrect. firstly the maf style is known as blow through. secondly ultimate racing no longer makes a blow through maf kit. thirdly there is more than one way to implement blow through maf.

if you are interested in blow through maf setup there are many things to consider. firstly it's not that the temps and such are different or that the air flow is different. as there is at least one person i know of that is running blow through very well.

ecu+ and maftpro both have provisions for translating a 3" or 3.5" gm maf, this means you'll have to hack some intercooler pipes and then fit one of these units in (most likely the 3"). this is lots more work than you think... so you should consider carefully. blow through has its benefits, one being that it removes a lotta the draw through maf weirdnesses you get at idle with intakes and bovs and funny signals and this and that, but it is involved to get it to work.

i only recommend this if you're palnning on becoming well versed in etiher ecu+ or maftpro. otherwise there are other alternatives to making your car make the psssshhhhh sound.

tama_mog
03-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I've done some business with ultimate racing in terms of turbo kit and some other misc stuff....but I've spoken to Daryl there countless times and the conclusion is that the option is a waste of $$ and u need to be using ems.....but then again if it's just so you can do VTA to make ricey sounds...then I think there is a link to some product that produces a woosh sound with its own speakers.....u might want to look into those instead, only cost like $20.

trinydex
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
some people live nad die by the maf tho :\

BMan
03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
The blow-through allows you to maintain OBDII compliance with the power of EMS for those who care about keeping your car smog legal all year, not just for testing.
Malibu Jack installed one on his New York state legal car and gets awesome performance.

Oh, by-the-way, he's no ricer.

trinydex
03-16-2006, 12:21 AM
that would be the one man i know of that is running blow through well. plus it's still cheaper than ems. iunno... depends on how hardcore you wanna be. some people really die by their mafs. i don't think anything is wrong with a maf... and putting a maf in a good place like right before hte throttle body is the perfect way to go, it's just so unconventional... of course aem was once unconventional too. now it's industry standard.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
i thought it was good to run a GM MAF sensor in conjunction with ECU+ for a much less restrictive intake. isnt that where the GM MAF sensor would go, in the place of the oem MAF in the intake tract????

T

trinydex
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
no the gm maf is a whole maf replacement unit. what they don't tell you is you also need an adapter plug which is easily found but not exactly cheap it's like 20 bucks. so it's just like our maf... but circular and BIG

Smogrunner
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I'll have a lot of stuff to report in regards to using the GM MAF and the Maf translator. Whether it works great or like ass, I'll let everyone know. BTW, it should go without saying that I'm not doing it to be able to VTA....

Terry S
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I'll have a lot of stuff to report in regards to using the GM MAF and the Maf translator. Whether it works great or like ass, I'll let everyone know.

Are you using the ECU+ now tom? Or does the XEDE have a new MAF translator?

Terry S

Smogrunner
05-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm using the Xede with the Maf translator added and set simply to translate the signal. The ECU+ is great for having the MAF translator built in, but I don't like the relatively low resolution of the ECU+ timing maps. The Xede is 20 X 20 maps with adjustment range of 1/10th of a degree, which is nice for fine tuning and even better adjustability than reflashing machines. The Xede can be configured to directly translate the GM MAF but I have no idea how to set that up. I may have the unmentionable one take care of that for me next week at Tuning Technologies.

Terry S
05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm using the Xede with the Maf translator added and set simply to translate the signal. The ECU+ is great for having the MAF translator built in, but I don't like the relatively low resolution of the ECU+ timing maps. The Xede is 20 X 20 maps with adjustment range of 1/10th of a degree, which is nice for fine tuning and even better adjustability than reflashing machines. The Xede can be configured to directly translate the GM MAF but I have no idea how to set that up. I may have the unmentionable one take care of that for me next week at Tuning Technologies.

Keep us updated. Thats good stuff. Now if only I could put it in my IX! :tickedoff:

Terry S

leaveit2bevo
05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
what is the advantage of the gm maf? more accurate signal, better air flow?

trinydex
05-02-2006, 01:07 AM
this is all incorrect. firstly the maf style is known as blow through. secondly ultimate racing no longer makes a blow through maf kit. thirdly there is more than one way to implement blow through maf.

if you are interested in blow through maf setup there are many things to consider. firstly it's not that the temps and such are different or that the air flow is different. as there is at least one person i know of that is running blow through very well.

ecu+ and maftpro both have provisions for translating a 3" or 3.5" gm maf, this means you'll have to hack some intercooler pipes and then fit one of these units in (most likely the 3"). this is lots more work than you think... so you should consider carefully. blow through has its benefits, one being that it removes a lotta the draw through maf weirdnesses you get at idle with intakes and bovs and funny signals and this and that, but it is involved to get it to work.

i only recommend this if you're palnning on becoming well versed in etiher ecu+ or maftpro. otherwise there are other alternatives to making your car make the psssshhhhh sound.
but smoggy is doin' it cuz a 3.5" maf can flow more. he's run into quite a bottle neck with his maf.

RhYZiN
10-17-2006, 01:46 AM
out of curiousity, what CEL codes come up and noticable quirks happen when you run the stock MAS on the pressure side? i've seen vids of the setup actually work, although i couldn't get the CEL codes from the person, nor did the guy log anything.

trinydex
10-17-2006, 02:42 AM
if you run the maf post turbo there are no cels and no ill effects. in fact it's better, more accurate, faster responding etc. the problem with putting hte stock one there is that the inlet and outlet are not only not both circles but are also of different sizes (GREAT). so what's commonly done is swapping a ls1 maf into the system (which has the same inlets and outlets and is a full 3" or 3.5 depending on the year). this takes a way a lot of pipe and coupler retrofitting and of course makes flow less awkward through the natural splice in point--the upper intercooler piping. the only thing needed is a means of calibrating the maf to the ecu. this can be done with the ecu+ piggyback which has logic built in to convert these signals or with a maf translator.

RhYZiN
10-17-2006, 03:04 AM
thanks. good to know O0

evo ippo
10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
i think Dejon tool has a setup that relocates your MAF

aniki
11-15-2006, 10:58 PM
personally i would get a maf smoother type unit before relocating it... a MAF sensor is a hot wire and pretty sensitive not to mention expensive if you burn it up relocating it after the turbo would probably subject it to much higher temperatures which could shorten the life or maybe skew readings... i dont know about mitsubishi maf sensors but nissan ones i work with generally cost 500+ which is more than an SAFC which can smooth MAF signal for VTA

trinydex
11-16-2006, 03:46 AM
why would it burn up? if you have an intercooler it should work fine.

aniki
11-17-2006, 12:29 AM
i dont have any evidence that it will instantly burn up, but touching the UICP and touching the air cleaner box there is definatly a temperature difference. That wire in the middle of the MAF sensor heats up and the more air passing it the more heat is disapated from the element, the more heat dissapated the more voltage it takes to keep the element hot, the ecu references that voltage drop to calculate the ammount of mass air flow... i dont know but i would think that air that his hotter than what the ECU expects to be passing the element would skew the readins... easily corrected by any kind of engine management but if you had any kind of engine management you probably wouldnt have to relocate the MAF in the first place right?... before a maf sensor burns up it usually just starts acting funny altering AFR... just my oppinion take it how you will =P

trinydex
11-17-2006, 12:59 AM
also the maf is not a hot wire.... http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=29781.0